Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Toplef10Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! I22gcj10Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Toplef10Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! I22gcj10Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming!

+3
Turan
AlwaysHotinFL
SwampTroll
7 posters

Go down

Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Empty Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming!

Post  SwampTroll 5/20/2017, 4:24 pm

Okay, well perhaps not quite with Thyme, but I couldn't ignore such a beautiful plant related pun.

I'm a knitter and a rebel.   I can't do things the easy way.  It's all my mom's fault.

So instead of buying pre-dyed yarn, I often enjoy attempting to dye it in various fashions myself.

In this eco-centric era, why would one use chemicals when one could just harvest things out of one's own yard to dye with?

Beets, various flowers, onion skins, avocado skins (and pits) all of these can and have been used to dye fiber.

In previous years, I've grown red cabbage, indigo, and other dye stuffs.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to integrate dyestuffs into the garden that I've got planned, but we shall see how the final plans work out.

Last edited by camprn on 5/23/2017, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarified title)
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Empty Re: Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming!

Post  AlwaysHotinFL 5/20/2017, 4:42 pm

Not a veggie, but mulberries are notorious for dying driveways/sidewalks/hands, etc
AlwaysHotinFL
AlwaysHotinFL

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Empty Re: Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming!

Post  Turan 5/21/2017, 12:21 am

I also grow and have grown various natural dye plants. Coreopsis is a fine bright yellow, marigolds are a bit bronze, indigo (no woad here) for blue, and madder for reds
I raise sheep and spin my own yarn as well.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/21/2017, 4:36 am

Dying yard! Very intriguing. Good for you guys

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/21/2017, 12:24 pm

AlwaysHotinFL wrote:Not a veggie, but mulberries are notorious for dying driveways/sidewalks/hands, etc

The problem with mulberries is that they taste good.  I may have a lot of self-control, but it's hard not eating all of them.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/21/2017, 12:26 pm

Turan wrote:I also grow and have grown various natural dye plants. Coreopsis is a fine bright yellow, marigolds are a bit bronze, indigo (no woad here) for blue, and madder for reds
I raise sheep and spin my own yarn as well.

I tried to do Coreopsis, but it didn't take and you're right it wasn't indigo that I did, but woad.  In addition I also tried madder, but it didn't do very well.  Perhaps now that I have more experience under my belt I'll try again next year.

My wife is the spinner, I simply dye.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/21/2017, 12:42 pm

The best coreopsis is the one called Tickseed, species tinctorium. I found that it is also a photo sensitive dye, it becomes brighter after exposure to sun, at least when coming out of the dye pot. What mordants are you using?
Mulberries are fun but it is not a permanent dye, same with beets and red cabbage.

Natural dyeing is part of my job description, it is fun to talk and think about small batches from the garden.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/21/2017, 1:34 pm

I don't remember exactly which mordant I used for the red cabbage, but it turned out a lovely permanent silver on one skein, and a yellowish green on a second.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/21/2017, 1:55 pm

Silver? Way cool. I once got something similar with pomegranate. Never been able to repeat it though.
I want to take some chemistry to learn about what is happening in these dyes.

With coreopsis and other yellow dye plants (tansy, calendula, goldenrod, etc) and with madder I learned that a pre-mordant bath that is long, like a week, makes for much better dye take up. I use alum as a mordant pretty exclusively, often balanced with cream of tartar. The other thing with dyeing madder is the calcium needed varies according to how much calcium is in hte water, even here with very hard calcium rich water I end up adding Tums until the color develops in the bath.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/21/2017, 6:15 pm

Where do you get your alum from for mordanting?

I've also heard that you can use rhubarb leaves to mordant with, just be careful and not to do it indoors if at all possible, and obviously full gloves and the like are required due to the toxic nature of rhubarb leaves.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/21/2017, 9:07 pm

I have used pickling alum, and dyer's alum, and water filter alum all successfully.  I suspect the differences are just a matter of purity with food grade the purest.  Pickling alum is at the grocery store and is most expensive.  Dyer's alum can be ordered from dyer supply houses.  We got a pallet full from the water filter plant for the last.  It is something the ancients traded for.  

Rhubarb leaves would give you both a tannin and oxalic acid mordants.  Tannin I know, it makes a nice beige on wool but doesn't really seem to morddant it, but is most used a lot as a mordant for cotton.  Oxalic acid is new to me and is not used in any of my books but I see it in online references.  This intrigues me, as I have lots of rhubarb, but the cautions are worrisome.

There is a plant called 'Alum Root' but I know nothing about it but am curious.

You might be interested in a book- 'A Weaver's Garden' by Rita Buchanan

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/22/2017, 4:07 am

Well, now I know what mordant means in dying.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/22/2017, 9:57 am

I believe I got the idea to use Rhubarb leaves to mordant from the book "Wild Color by Jenny Dean".  Supposedly rhubarb makes yellows greener and reds more orange.  If I do experiment with it later in the season, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Interesting that you mention cotton, as that's been one fiber I've been unable to mordant no matter what I'm using.  EVERYTHING washes off.

I don't have "A Weaver's Garden", but I do have "A Dyers Garden" by the same author.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/23/2017, 12:02 pm

http://www.allnaturaldyeing.com/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/23/2017, 1:37 pm

Can you guys post photos of the colors you have been able to produce? Thank you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/23/2017, 2:07 pm

Love to Very Happy

This was a Rumex experiment (Dock, a relative of rhubarb, you use the root) It is over dyed with madder on the left and with indigo on the right.
Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Dscn1310

A rug coming off my loom. The yarns are dyed with avacado, walnut, madder and indigo and cochineal.  I started this in California with the stuff growing around me, avacado and walnut and first attempts at madder. I finished it here in Montana with more madder and learning to do an indigo vat.
Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Dscf2310

Results from madder dyeing at work.

Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Red_wo10

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/24/2017, 3:06 am

I love you I love you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/24/2017, 7:07 am

Turan that is amazing.  Looks really nice.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/25/2017, 12:54 am

Last fall I taught myself to knit and am curious about the dye used to the wool that I use. Love all the information that you all have shared and the pictures. Makes me want to get some wool and try dyeing it myself. I keep telling the hubby that when we finally settle down that I'm getting sheep for the garden/ wool for knitting.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/25/2017, 1:46 am

Turan, Photos of your loom? It must be a really nice one to produce that quality, smooth rug.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/25/2017, 1:20 pm

Aww, thanks, Sanderson. I chose the picture that did not show the problems with that rug. None of these were the loom's fault, however. That loom is a Leclerc Fanny that I bought at auction from SanDeigo State Uni when they discontinued their textiles department. I was a student and it was a big investment for me (130$, a new one costs 20X more). This is what it looks like.
Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming! Leclerc-fanny

That rug in a way took 30 years. It started with me shearing the serum sheep for the university. I learned a lot about spinning on those fleeces and then dyed the yarns experimenting with natural dyes. A weaving friend recommended that I buy some more regular carpet yarn and use it like a back ground to help maintain a uniformity of thickness to the rug. That yarn is what I dyed with indigo. The edges are not even or straight, I did not know how much different patterns would affect them. It spent years covered with a sheet in a corner while life did not include weaving big things. Then one winter I got going and finished it.

I do a lot more knitting with my yarns and some weaving on a smaller loom. The big one is warped and any moment now I will get another rug going, or something else.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/25/2017, 3:53 pm

@mschaef  One of the easiest ways to begin dyeing is actually with Kool-Aid.  Non-toxic easy and VIBRANT colors.  I'll have to post pictures of my Kool-Aid dyed scarf when I get home.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/25/2017, 6:46 pm

A fun thing to do with kids is make felt balls from wool dyed with various colored Kool Aids

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/25/2017, 7:28 pm

They do make wonderful fabric softeners as well.  The felted colored balls, that is.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/26/2017, 3:31 pm

Looking forward to more photos.

Turan, I know they are expensive. Beautiful

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down