Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? Toplef10What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? I22gcj10What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? Toplef10What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? I22gcj10What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What is proper way to clip from thyme plant?

+8
audrey.jeanne.roberts
camprn
donnainzone5
trolleydriver
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
gwennifer
cpl100
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? Empty What is proper way to clip from thyme plant?

Post  cpl100 7/30/2012, 2:04 pm

Hello folks! I need to cut some thyme from my plant but I don't want to do it the wrong way. Last year I cut incorrectly from my rosemary plant and it stopped growing!

I know they proper way to do it for parsley and basil but not for thyme and can't seem to find it spelled out so I can totally understand it on the web via search.

Thank you!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? Empty Re: What is proper way to clip from thyme plant?

Post  gwennifer 7/30/2012, 2:22 pm

gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? Empty Re: What is proper way to clip from thyme plant?

Post  cpl100 7/30/2012, 3:00 pm

Thanks for that. But will it continue to grow if I just cut it willy nilly from anyplace on the plant? That's the crux of my question....

(The reason I am hesitant is that last year I did some research which said one could clip the rosemary plant like that. Well, you can, but it turns out that if you cut it down too far, it will not continue growing--although the plant does not die.)
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/30/2012, 3:36 pm

I understood your question, and the reason I picked that video for a response is that she specifically answers that question:

And it doesn't matter how far back you trim it, it will always grow back, unless it's outside in the middle of winter and then it will just wait till the spring to grow.

If you're worried about it, just be sure not to cut off all the green. Only shear it back part way. Other herb harvesting techniques have you do a rotating thing where you cut back a quarter of the plant at a time, allowing each section time to recover before coming at it again.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/30/2012, 4:33 pm

Thank you, again! I must have spaced out at the end where she said that. I'm sorry I asked again.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2016, 5:04 pm

I'm trying to harvest and dry thyme. The leaves are itty bitty and it's taking me forever to strip the leaves without getting little stems in the gleanings. If I leave the stems and leaves to dry, will the leaves easily crumble off without the stems breaking off? I microwaved and am letting it dry for a while. Thanks in advance.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/28/2016, 10:16 pm

Sorry, I can't help you, Sanderson, I have a ton of thyme, but use it fresh, year round. It does have tiny leaves, maybe try drying some and running your fingers backwards down the stalk?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2016, 1:13 am

Thanks. Since I posted, I microwaved a piece and let it air dry.  The leaves came off a lot easier.  Will dry and try the rest.

I'm trying to dry different herbs for off season use and for my organic daughter. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/29/2016, 9:26 am

Last Fall I collected various herbs from my SFG, put them in paper bags which have holes in them, then hung them up to dry in my furnace room. I was supposed to do something with them after a few weeks but never got around to doing it.

So here we are several months later and they are still hanging there. I was almost afraid to open them up to see what had happened. Maybe I would find some horrible experiment in growing mold.

This morning I took down one of the bags containing thyme. I took out the thyme "branches" and rubbed my hands over them. All the little leaves fell off into a bowl I placed below. The aroma really is amazing. The question might be, "Is there anything else growing on them after all this time?". To the eye they seem to be ok.

Maybe I'll get brave now and check out what is in the other bags!

happy turtle
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/29/2016, 10:11 am

Continuing from my previous post ...

Turns out I had 7 bags of Thyme hanging in the basement furnace room. Six shown below.

What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? IMG_1414_zpss86vwj9q

Here is the haul ...
What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? IMG_1419_zpsqcmf5j4n
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/29/2016, 12:00 pm

My thyme never grows that tall!  However, I do have several sprawling plants.  It's quite invasive, as well as hardy. 

Must check the dill I hung in the garage last fall....
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2016, 1:36 pm

TD, Amazing amount of thyme! I wouldn't worry about anything growing on them.

Donna, the thyme I have also sprawls, but thank goodness it is in a corner square and grew over the sides.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/29/2016, 7:19 pm

I just grab a handful and cut it off with scissors. But I try to leave the blooms for the bees. They lovee the thyme. A lot.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2016, 9:01 pm

My Syrphid flies and one bumble are enjoying it along with the perennial sage purple flowers.

Yes, for fresh cooking I just grab the scissors. I'm also trying to put up dried herbs. I bought little plastic herb jars off eBay.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/30/2016, 11:05 pm

Grab scissors and massacre it, lol!  It's basically impossible to kill once it's got a stronghold  Very Happy

I grab a stem and strip the leaves upward.  All but the last little soft part of the branch comes off clean.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 3/31/2016, 10:07 am

I try to de-stem them when they are fresh; it isn't quite as easy but that way the leaves don't get bruised and release the essential oils.  I crush them when getting ready to use them.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 3/31/2016, 10:57 am

I dry them fully.  Then I put them in a plastic bag.  When I need some, I shake the bag and leaves fall to the bottom.

That being said, once I underestimated the drying time needed and I did end up with a moldy mess in that bag!  That was a sad day!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/1/2016, 3:19 am

My final solution was partially drying in the microwave, then air drying. The leaves kind of crumbled off. I have a nice harvest to share with my daughter, IF I can find the little seasoning jars I bought. Embarassed Thank for the responses.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/1/2016, 7:52 am

Sorry. I've been out a couple of days...

I dehydrate them, then strip.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/1/2016, 4:28 pm

If you want to have fresh thyme all year round you can do this:

1.  Get snack sized bags.  Write: Thyme with a sharpie pen.  Put 1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil or other oil in the bag.
2.  Pick your herbs early in the morning, wash, pat dry.
3.  One stem at a time, carefully strip from the bottom upward.  You can leave the last little leaves on the stem (they invariably break off) or put those aside to pull the leaves off later.  I just leave them whole since the stem isn't woody on them.
4.  Place however much would be a standard serving for you to use fresh in the bag.  I generally have 1 to 2 TBSP.  Coat the leaves well.  
5.  Flatten the bags neatly and then stack on a shelf in your freezer to freeze.  After they're frozen you can rubber band them together (I do this with several spices like basil so I can find what I need easily).  If you have a shelf inside your freezer door, they'll stand up nicely in there and be readily accessible!

There really is nothing like fresh herbs and this method easily keeps them fresh until the next year's crop is in.  I have some Basil that's on it's second year and still good.  I'm not sure just how long they will keep but so far I've never had one go bad.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/1/2016, 9:41 pm

Genius! Love it! Thanks, AJR!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 4/2/2016, 8:35 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:If you want to have fresh thyme all year round you can do this:

1.  Get snack sized bags.  Write: Thyme with a sharpie pen.  Put 1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil or other oil in the bag.
2.  Pick your herbs early in the morning, wash, pat dry.
3.  One stem at a time, carefully strip from the bottom upward.  You can leave the last little leaves on the stem (they invariably break off) or put those aside to pull the leaves off later.  I just leave them whole since the stem isn't woody on them.
4.  Place however much would be a standard serving for you to use fresh in the bag.  I generally have 1 to 2 TBSP.  Coat the leaves well.  
5.  Flatten the bags neatly and then stack on a shelf in your freezer to freeze.  After they're frozen you can rubber band them together (I do this with several spices like basil so I can find what I need easily).  If you have a shelf inside your freezer door, they'll stand up nicely in there and be readily accessible!

There really is nothing like fresh herbs and this method easily keeps them fresh until the next year's crop is in.  I have some Basil that's on it's second year and still good.  I'm not sure just how long they will keep but so far I've never had one go bad.
I love this idea Audrey.  I think will try this!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/29/2016, 12:58 am

1. These techniques will be the same for Lemon Thyme too, correct?
2. Sanderson: How long do you microwave them? At what power? Then how long do you air dry?
3. How long to air dry w/o nuking?

Thanks...This is why I am asking:
What is proper way to clip from thyme plant? 2016-073
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/29/2016, 2:27 am

If I remember correctly, in smallish lacy batches sandwiched between paper towels, about 30 seconds, maybe another 15 seconds? Spread to finish drying. 24 hours in the house? Then the leaves kind of crumble off. You can do this with other herbs, just microwave small batches with short bursts until you get to know the herb's needs. What do you use the lemon thyme in?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/29/2016, 4:54 pm

Thanks Sanderson, I will be trying to dry some this weekend. I have to get that plant under control

sanderson wrote: What do you use the lemon thyme in?
I don't use it in anything, but I always run my hand through it when I walk by because it smells sooo good.
Now my DW said she uses it with chicken and fish dishes. She likes the combination of the thyme flavor and the lemon.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next