Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:06 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Sun May 05, 2024 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

+6
Jaffa55
Scorpio Rising
Sunsanvil
sanderson
trolleydriver
Kelejan
10 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  CapeCoddess Mon May 15, 2017 2:46 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Looks like Ottawa will be getting some really nice weather this week with highs going into the mid 80s Fahrenheit by midweek and overnight lows in the 50s and 60s (exept low 40s tonight). I need to get my indoor starts hardened off outside and transplanted soon.

Me, too.
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  trolleydriver Mon May 15, 2017 6:40 pm

My neighbourhood is a sea of yellow dandelions. I just spent time removing them by hand from my front and back lawns. Of course I could not get all of the roots out so they will be back even stronger. It's really a waste of time anyway considering that most of the neighbours don't bother to get rid of their dandelions. Soon the air will be filled with their little white parachutes spreading their joy wherever they can land.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSgV2AIzJZ0dycuH0W5X_uekQifK2PBjh1apMWHHgKU-tTyPlU
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 Empty Running Late...

Post  SwampTroll Mon May 15, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm running really late to the game, but I have my gardens built and the ingredients ready to be mixed.
(This will actually be my third year doing SFG in the Maritimes)

I just finished re-buying the seeds that I intend to use this season and should have everything filled and ready to go this season.

I had previously purchased seeds, but due to my wife's medical issues and our whole yard being torn up, I lost my previous garden and had to start over.  Though on the plus size I'm more than doubling what I originally had.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a trellis, but I'm sure I'll work something out before too long.

I'd love to have an irrigation system that doubles as my grid, but I think that may be outside of the budget for this year.

Tomorrow entails mixing and filling.  If I have a lot of energy, I'll be headed to the hardware store for lumber to build a compost sifter.

That and of course trying to get some seeds started indoors.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Instead of an annual Tulip Festival I think Ottawa should have an annual Dandelion Festival.  The dandelions are taking over the city. Maybe we should make a movie called "The Day of the Dandelions" which is not to be confused with "The Day of the Triffids"

This photo is taken in front of my neighbours house (many dandelions in the lawn) looking toward our property in the background.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 IMG_3784_zpsavidkkvp

And this is what it looks like at the nearby corner of the street where our community mailbox is located.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 IMG_3783_zpsct4untkq
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 pm

I was thinking about Kelejan in Castlegar B.C. and her bear visitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw1xnuSv1NM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxFIGWm9M6w
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 pm

I like dandelions in their yellow phase.  It is the uneven growth, and the white phase that are a bit much for me.  I do have my lawn sprayed once/yr.  I just dont like the look of the uneven yard....I know....my neighbor does nothing, and my others do 3x/yr.....I am striking a compromise.  IMO....I do leave instructions for them to steer way clear of the SFG.  And they do.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Thu May 18, 2017 2:57 am

Good to see you Swamp Troll and welcome from me, your Canadian Regional Host.
Look forward to your progress.

Thanks TD for the picture of the bear in Castlegar. That video was taken by our Mayor.  I also took some time and viewed some videos of Castlegar and it is interesting to see the view of a ride downtown that included a picture of my former store opposite the City Hall.

Another bear came through my place a couple of days ago, this time it was a brown bear.  I alerted my neighbour below me but she did not see it and I assume it had passed through her garden and through a tiny kid's park (where I had never seen a child play they yet) over the railway tracks and down to the Columbia River.

Too much rain around so unable to mow my grass once again and it is getting loooong.

No shortage of dandelions.  I have noticed that over the years the numbers of them have increased and now we all have swathes of yellow that really look pretty, but we all know what happens when they turn to clocks.  After mowing the grass, everything is green again, but next day up come another load.

The cherry and apple trees have quite a lot of blossom on them so I hope to have a reasonable harvest this year in spite of trimming them very hard.

Still so much to do; I am all behind this year due to not doing enough last fall and also to the persistent rain we have had this year so far.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll Thu May 18, 2017 9:55 am

Thank you.  I just finished my days off by almost completely filling my main gardens with MM.  I also was able to top off, plant, and mulch my two blueberry bushes.

This was on top of mowing the lawn.

I may have been able to get more done, but the rains began.

Now I need to sit down and redo my plans for this year's garden as I didn't realize how old the seeds I had from my last garden were.   I'm going to try and use some of them anyway, but we'll see how they do.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Thu May 18, 2017 11:11 am

trolleydriver wrote:
This photo is taken in front of my neighbours house (many dandelions in the lawn) looking toward our property in the background.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 IMG_3784_zpsavidkkvp

And this is what it looks like at the nearby corner of the street where our community mailbox is located.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 IMG_3783_zpsct4untkq

Looks like a big ol' wine harvest to me. Along with some yummy smoothie & salad greens.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Thu May 18, 2017 11:22 am

Given the hot weather we have been getting, I have been expecting a weather warning to be issued by Canada. They just issued one. My mini greenhouse is going to get a workout. Here is part of the warning.

"Conditions are favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that may be capable of producing damaging wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain ...  Very strong wind gusts can damage buildings, down trees and blow large vehicles off the road. Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes. ..."
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Thu May 18, 2017 1:24 pm

No new rain last night but even so it is too wet to mow the lawn.  I could try, but it would mean cleaning the underside every few yards.  We need to sun out to dry the grass.

Swamp Troll, you certainly have put me to shame with your efforts.  I hope they will be duly rewarded.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Well Kelejan,

You definitely have some experience on myself, and I am horribly stubborn.  I'm running so horribly behind this year that I am racing to be able to get things in the ground and growing as soon as possible.

Hopefully next year, I'll be able to do things at a less breakneck pace.  Ideally I'd have my seeds sprouted and awaiting transport, with my boxes filled, greens growing and bulbs (onion, garlic) planted.

Oh well.  If wishes were fishes, I'd have some massive tomatoes.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 Thu May 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Some herbs self seeded in my front garden. First I thought it was parsley, but now I'm pretty sure it is coriander. How many should I leave by square, and is it okay it it is clumped together? I haven't grown coriander by seed before...Can't wait for the long weekend to be here.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 pm

My grass finally got cut, just the main lawn, but I was certainly tired as every two times I went up and down I had to scrape the wet grass off the mower and that was hard work as well. I have left the roadside lawn and all the little area for another day.
The grass was so long because of the continual rain. We are due a thunderstorm in a bit, the clouds are gathering. 

I am hoping for good weather on Saturday as my friend, who has recently returned from Victoria after helping her daughter with her deceased husband, wants to go to our local Garden and Nature Fest where the City gives away two bags of City Compost to each householder. These bags are heavy and one must be careful not to split the paper bags when loading or unloading them.  Last year I caught one of the bags as I was loading it into my friend's trunk and it took a bit of work to clear up. I will make sure I have some plastic sheeting ready to lay down so any spills are contained. Unloading will be a problem as neither of us strong enough to lift the bags up out of the truck.  Oh, for a car that has it's opening level with the car's floor.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri May 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Mimi2 wrote:Some herbs self seeded in my front garden. First I thought it was parsley, but now I'm pretty sure it is coriander. How many should I leave by square, and is it okay it it is clumped together? I haven't grown coriander by seed before...Can't wait for the long weekend to be here.
2 or 3 per clump in a square is what I end up with. I dry the leaves and collect the seeds for small batch grinding. Oh, the aroma!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Kelejan wrote: Unloading will be a problem as neither of us strong enough to lift the bags up out of the truck.  Oh, for a car that has it's opening level with the car's floor.

Perhaps moving a wheel barrow next to the trunk, so the bags don't have to go very far and  you can practically dump the bags out?
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 pm

SwampTroll wrote:
Kelejan wrote:Unloading will be a problem as neither of us strong enough to lift the bags up out of the truck.  Oh, for a car that has it's opening level with the car's floor.

Perhaps moving a wheel barrow next to the trunk, so the bags don't have to go very far and  you can practically dump the bags out?
cheers Great idea!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
SwampTroll wrote:
Kelejan wrote:Unloading will be a problem as neither of us strong enough to lift the bags up out of the truck.  Oh, for a car that has it's opening level with the car's floor.

cheers Great idea!
I do that, Scorpio, but the problem is actually lifting the bag up before letting it  down into the wheelbarrow.  With a trunk that opens fully from floor level, one can slide the bag into the wheelbarrow. I will have to ask my friend to get a new car. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Fri May 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Coming home from grocery shopping this morning, I found that someone had mown the grass that fronts the road.  I was so thankful as I was still tired from yesterday.

I left a message to the person who I thought had done the deed, but had to leave a message.  I hope he lets me know if it is not him otherwise I will not know whom to thank.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sat May 20, 2017 6:58 am

Kelejan wrote:Coming home from grocery shopping this morning, I found that someone had mown the grass that fronts the road.  I was so thankful as I was still tired from yesterday.

I love when that happens. Especially with driveway snow!
<3
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sat May 20, 2017 9:24 am

The Farmers Almanac says I can do the following over the next two weeks. I think it is too early for some things (e.g., squash, melon, okra) right now but should be OK by the end of the two weeks (i.e., beginning of June). I may put tomatoes out this weekend but keep some seedlings in reserve just in case.

Your Personalized Planting Reminders
[size=16][size=16]Here are the planting reminders for your location
for the next two weeks:

[/size][/size]
Sow under cover or indoors:
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 PUMPumpkin

Sow outdoors or plant out:
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 BEEBeet
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 BRO2Broccoli
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 CAB1Cabbage (Summer)
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 CARCarrot
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 CORCorn
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 CUCCucumber
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 KALKale
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 LEELeek
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 LET1Lettuce (Leaf)
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 MELMelon
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 OKROkra
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 ONIOnion
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 PARParsnip
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 PEAPeas
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 PEPPepper
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 POT2Potatoes (Maincrop)
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 RADRadish
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 SPISpinach
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 SQU2Squash (Summer)
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 SWISwiss Chard
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 TOM2Tomato (Large)
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017 - Page 3 WATWatermelon
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll Sat May 20, 2017 10:15 am

This is absolutely amazing.  Some of these I'll definitely be getting in the ground this week, but some things like the corn and squash, I think I'll hold off a bit for.

Also not sure about the pepper as it is still dropping down to low single digits at night.  Not starting from seed for those this year, so I'll wait a bit to get that one in the ground.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat May 20, 2017 2:48 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
Kelejan wrote:Coming home from grocery shopping this morning, I found that someone had mown the grass that fronts the road.  I was so thankful as I was still tired from yesterday.

<3
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Mon May 22, 2017 10:33 am

There are three things at the top of my gardening list right now.

1. Get some of the transplants (e.g., tomatoes) into the SFG.
2. Turn the contents of the 3x3x3 compost bin.
3. Keep building the new 3x7 SFG bed ... lots stil to do on that.

The problem is that it is another wet day here which may hold up progress.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Mon May 22, 2017 2:31 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:

<3
I especially hate mowing driveway snow.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next