Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? Toplef10What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? I22gcj10What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? Toplef10What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? I22gcj10What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?

+15
Mellen
Roseinarosecity
68carguy
Dunkinjean
llama momma
sanderson
billg52
trolleydriver
BeetlesPerSqFt
donnainzone5
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
yolos
bigdogrock
Ginger Blue
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? Empty What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?

Post  Ginger Blue 7/9/2016, 11:38 am

This is the first time I've tried growing garlic and onions, both as "happy accidents" which sprouted in the kitchen, from grocery store produce.

Interplanted with strawberries and lettuce, the young garlic are doing well, though they are likely softneck types and won't produce scapes.  The rooted onion sets thrived in windowboxes (the only containers I had to put them in, at the time), and yesterday I harvested several small, but well-formed onions. Very Happy

Now that I know I can do this, I want to include several varieties of each crop in the garden next year.  Rather than order at random, I'd like hear what your favorites are, in terms of hardiness and flavor.

While all input is welcome, I'm especially interested in hardneck garlic varieties and any onions which grow well in New England.

Your thoughts?

GB
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? Empty Re: What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?

Post  bigdogrock 7/9/2016, 1:20 pm

Hey Ginger, I do not know what variety my garlic is, it was given to me by a neighbor who has grown it for many years. He told me that it does better if you plant it in the same spot each year, and I can see that seems to hold for me too. I always plant them in October and watch with the amazement of a child each year as it comes back after the sub zero temps of the winter. I know I can never plant enough. This year I am going to plant garlic on the perimeter of every garden I have, it might be a little tough to water everything in the early spring next year due the freezes we experience. I might even think about planting in the Spring so I don't have to water to early.
I too am interested in onions, next year I will go full blast into planting them. I like Vadallia onions, but I am not sure if they grow well here due to the short season. I am interested in the answers you get back from this. I have not grown onions in New Hampster (New Hampshire) so it will be a learning experience, I hope it isn't going to be like my beet experience this year What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? 43549 .  Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? Empty Re: What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?

Post  yolos 7/9/2016, 2:11 pm

bigdogrock wrote:
I too am interested in onions, next year I will go full blast into planting them. I like Vadallia onions, but I am not sure if they grow well here due to the short season. .  Rock
Vidalia Onions are Yellow Granex Hybrid Onions grown in Vidalia, Ga and surrounding areas.  They are short day and I don't think they will bulb up at the correct time up north.

http://www.vidaliaonion.org/farming/planting_and_growing_vidalia_onions
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/9/2016, 5:31 pm

Agway sells the white garlic called California White I believe. Those are my favorites. But the weird thing is they started off as a soft neck and over couple of years transformed into hard neck. Camprn  had the same issue with them if I remember correctly. Anyway they're the best, store well and they taste great! As for bulb onions, I tried a couple varieties of long day and nothing really came from them except some tiny little bulbs . I wonder if it takes two years? I too will be watching this thread to find out what the heck we can grow here because everything I tried has failed, altho l do very well with scallions, chives, Egyptian walking onions and multipliers, as well as shallots (my shallots were started from a grocery store bought one).

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? Empty Garlic Buying ?

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/13/2016, 10:58 am

I wanna try a hardneck and a soft neck variety.  When I look for it online, it is like $15 for 8 ounces....what exactly does that mean?  Is that a lot of garlic?  I don't have room for a ton of it...just want a sampler, like 3 or 4 heads.  Any advice?

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 8/13/2016, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Topic added)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/13/2016, 12:49 pm

As the fall approaches it should start showing up in your local nurseries. They'll have the types that grow best in your area. I would go that route. Or farmers markets also sells garlic and you can use those.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/13/2016, 3:20 pm

OK, I will keep my eyes open.  Such a bummer last year.  They all came up, then....gone.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/13/2016, 5:39 pm

Here's a resource for a couple of types of garlic (hopefully, there will be more available):

https://www.botanicalinterests.com/products/srch:nematode?utm_source=Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=afa997bc8b-V_N_garlic_available_8_13_16&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_17be3505db-afa997bc8b-59672821
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/13/2016, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the resource, Donna!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/14/2016, 12:11 am

Hi Ginger!

I'm in PA rather than New England, but think you're only a little colder. This year I grew three hardneck types. Maiskij, Spanish Roja, and Music. The first two were a few small cloves from a friend - and per the internet (I didn't note where exactly I read this) these varieties purportedly won't store well. The Music garlic I started from large cloves from a CSA. Baker's Creek says Music stores well and is "Well adapted to colder regions." All three grew, but it's not fair of me to compare the results of small cloves planted in dirt with large cloves planted in MM. I haven't tried a side by side taste test yet.

I also planted two unknown types of garlic, one from a neighbor, and one from a farmer's market. I suspect one of the two is German red, which Baker's Creek says "Grows particularly well in colder regions of the country."

Scorpio, re your quantity question the Baker's Creek says on one of the pages "(1/2 Pound Package - about 3 to 4 large bulbs)" I'd guess 5-6 cloves per bulb, but I think it depends on variety.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/14/2016, 10:11 pm

Wish they offered a sampler!  One bulb of 3 or 4 kinds....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/15/2016, 10:04 am

Scorpio,

I've been wishing the same thing.  Either that, or we need to go in with a neighbor or two, splitting costs.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 8/16/2016, 8:34 pm

Thanks Beetles.  "Music" is one of the varieties I'm eager to try.

Scorpio and Donnain,

I recently came across a website which sells variety packs of seed garlic. Since I don't have a good winter set up, I'm still on the fence about whether to attempt a fall planting, but autumn or spring I'll probably order from these folks when I'm ready to grow.

Here's the link, if you'd like to check it out:

https://www.getgarlic.com/product/seed-garlic-variety-pack

drooling
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/16/2016, 9:27 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:Thanks Beetles.  "Music" is one of the varieties I'm eager to try.

Scorpio and Donnain,

I recently came across a website which sells variety packs of seed garlic. Since I don't have a good winter set up, I'm still on the fence about whether to attempt a fall planting, but autumn or spring I'll probably order from these folks when I'm ready to grow.

Here's the link, if you'd like to check it out:

https://www.getgarlic.com/product/seed-garlic-variety-pack

drooling
Thanks, GB!   I will check it out for Sure!  

Donna, I agree!  It is just harder and more expensive to ship....but maybeGonger has found an alternative!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/17/2016, 9:01 am

I wanted to attend the local Garlic Festival but just learned that it took place last weekend when we were out of town.

I've been looking online for a source for seed garlic in Canada.  It seems expensive especially when shipping costs are included. Last year I bought it at a local nursery but can't remember the variety. 

There is a farm near my house that grows garlic to raise funds to support persons with developmental disabilities. I think they grew about 40,000 and the work is done by volunteers. Maybe I should just buy my garlic from them rather than growing it myself.

Question: Can I use some of the garlic I grew this year as the seed garlic for a new crop?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/17/2016, 10:30 am

trolleydriver wrote:
Question: Can I use some of the garlic I grew this year as the seed garlic for a new crop?
Yes you can.  About 3 years ago I bought three different varieties of garlic online, then I grew it and saved the largest bulbs.  Every year I grow garlic from bulbs I harvest in the summer and store until fall when I plant it again. They have adapted to my climate and two of the varieties get a respectable size.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/17/2016, 10:45 am

yolos wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:
Yes you can.  About 3 years ago I bought three different varieties of garlic online, then I grew it and saved the largest bulbs.  Every year I grow garlic from bulbs I harvest in the summer and store until fall when I plant it again. They have adapted to my climate and two of the varieties get a respectable size.
Great. I'm going to give that a try. Nothing to lose. I may end up with a few extra empty squares next Spring if they don't grow.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? Empty Garlic

Post  billg52 8/17/2016, 2:16 pm

Hi Ginger,
  I planted Korean Red last October and it did great, by the end of July I had several 3.5 inch heads that I harvested and cured. It has a wonderful aroma and is a bit fiery. I also found a new use for an old wine frig I have, I set it to 65 degrees and use it to store my Garlic.  My first post here so I hope this helped.

Regards,
Bill
billg52
billg52

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/17/2016, 3:39 pm

happy hi Bill! glad you\'re here So glad you chimed in. The more garlic varieties we can try in New England the better as far as I'm concerned.

Would love to see a photo of your interesting garlic storage unit. Also, feel free to post photos of your garden in the New England by month threads anytime. We love photos!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 8/17/2016, 8:04 pm

Welcome Bill, fellow New Hampsterite (New Hampshirite)! I too keep the garlic I grow as my seed for the next year. I also like to try new things, but the previous years garlic seems to always do better.  Some of the new ones I have tried seem to do better each year as well. Where did you buy the Red Korean? I have been looking for that for a few years and have not been able to find any that wasn't over priced. Glad you are on with us, don't forget we like pictures, Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/17/2016, 9:36 pm

glad you\'re here Bill!  Here from Ohio, Midwest!  Glad you chimed in as well, I am trying to figure out if I should grow hard or soft neck varieties, since I had ZERO of mine make it from last October...it was soft neck.

Glad you found us, when you have a minute give us some background!happy hi
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/17/2016, 10:26 pm

Hi, Bill. Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here When you get a minute, introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your garden. And pho:D tos. We love photos

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 8/19/2016, 3:18 pm

billg52 wrote:Hi Ginger,
  I planted Korean Red last October and it did great, by the end of July I had several 3.5 inch heads that I harvested and cured. It has a wonderful aroma and is a bit fiery. I also found a new use for an old wine frig I have, I set it to 65 degrees and use it to store my Garlic.  My first post here so I hope this helped.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Bill!  Welcome "a-board!"  happy hi Thank you for the information on Korean Red Garlic; based on your input, I'll add it to my "must try" list for next spring. okay

Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/19/2016, 4:00 pm

Last 3 years or so I've grown all German Red Garlic.  It is a hard neck variety. Quite Hot and spicy raw, very mild and nutty roasted. I also dehydrate and grind some for year round use, it keeps its spiciness.  Also known to have large easy to peel cloves. Bulbs are large, lots of 2-1/2 to  3 inch plus diameter size bulbs.  Darn near close to perfect in my humble opinion.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 8/19/2016, 8:26 pm

llama momma wrote:Last 3 years or so I've grown all German Red Garlic.  It is a hard neck variety. Quite Hot and spicy raw, very mild and nutty roasted. I also dehydrate and grind some for year round use, it keeps its spiciness.  Also known to have large easy to peel cloves. Bulbs are large, lots of 2-1/2 to  3 inch plus diameter size bulbs.  Darn near close to perfect in my humble opinion.

Thanks LM, I'll try German Red, too. Very Happy

For those interested in sample/variety packs, here's another source:

http://www.southernexposure.com/garlic-samplers-mixes-c-25_144.html
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next