Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 Toplef10Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 I22gcj10Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 Toplef10Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 I22gcj10Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning experts please - I need some advice

+10
camprn
CitizenKate
Scorpio Rising
BeetlesPerSqFt
plantoid
CapeCoddess
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
FeedMeSeeMore
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 Empty Re: Canning experts please - I need some advice

Post  DorothyG 10/28/2017, 10:56 pm

Sanderson, usually when the recipe calls for a number other than 5, 10, 15 it is for the canners with the dial type gauge instead of the weight.  Like this picture shows both the gauge and the weight.  Hope this helps.
 http://www.healthycanning.com/pressure-canners-dial-gauge-or-weighted-gauge
DorothyG
DorothyG

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 Empty Re: Canning experts please - I need some advice

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/28/2017, 11:35 pm

sanderson wrote:I'm ready to can my frozen summer tomatoes. I have used the water bath with success in 2015 but I haven't tried out the pressure canning part until just now. Right now I'm just getting to know it using just water, no jars. The Pressure Regulator is 15 psi but the recipes that came with it call for 11 psi. I have to turn the gas flames almost to off to get it down to 11 psi. Is this normal? That is, the have to turn the burner way, way down?

Yes, that's pretty normal, Sanderson. I start off heating on high then as I get towards my 11 lbs, I start turning down the heat. (Electric) By the time I'm finished, I'm in the medium-low range.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/29/2017, 12:05 am

Thank you, Marie. I forgot you were out of town. Very Happy I weighed 4 1-gallon bags at 14.5 lbs. There are 2 more bags I can't get to. Shocked

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/29/2017, 1:21 pm

How do you keep pickles and peppers from becoming mushy in a water bath?  I can make refrigerator pickles and peppers and keep them wonderfully crunchy, but every time I put them in the water bath for 20 minutes , they are basically inedible due to being so mushy. 
Should I drop the water bath time down to 10 or even 5 minutes?
I have tried simply boiling the brine and pouring it in very hot in hopes that I could get a good seal, but that is hit or miss . ( more miss than hit )
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/30/2017, 9:33 am

There is a product called Mrs. Wages Pickle Crisp. I've heard many good results with that. Also, putting them in ice water for a half hour or so before canning.

You do NOT want to cut down on the processing time. That opens you up to all sorts of nasty things... Less so since it's a pickling process, but is it worth the risk of food poisoning?

Remind me if I don't get back to you on this. I'm not a pickler myself, but I've got lots of research material here. Let me see what I can find... May take a couple of days, so pm me...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 Empty Pickles a Mush

Post  littlejo 10/30/2017, 10:03 am

What kind of a recipe are you using? I've never seen a recipe for pickles call for this much time.

You can buy some stuff called "pickle crisp" which should keep them crisp, unless you've cooked for too long.

I use Mrs Wages mix, and this turns out well every time.

Rule of thumb: if the pickles--cukes, peppers--zucchini,etc are raw, then process for at least 10 minutes. This gives the water bath canner time to kill off the germs that may have been on the veggies. I do 10 minutes for all.

Do not put jars in canner, then get the water hot! I've seen this on the net. This will cook for too long.
I use a jar lifter, which is very helpful in getting jars in and out of hot water.

Also, do not leave the jars in the water, after they are thru processing. (A couple minutes to let it stop boiling is ok)  use a jar lifter to get  them  out of there. I've seen this too. Supposedly keeps pickles under juice. Oh well.

I really think cooking too long is the problem.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/2/2017, 8:10 am

Does anyone else have this problem with discoloration of the canner?  Mine is aluminum and after using it as a pressure canner, it really turned dark. Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 Cannin11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 11/2/2017, 9:45 am

The color change is normal and won't affect food. If this bothers you, it did me at first, take some white vineagar, maybe a cup, and fill canner up to dark level with water. Either boil the h___ out of it, or if it doesn;t work too well you'll  have to add some pressure to get the coloring off. Or just learn to ignore it. Doing this after each canning season is a pain, and I don't know if using distilled water would help, but that would be a pain also.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/2/2017, 10:34 am

My All American canner booklet advises that the discolouration of the aluminium pan is harmless

It can be removed by boiling a table spoon of vinegar per quart of water used  to fill the pan above the discolouration or  two level table spoons of cream of tartar  per quart of water .

Or
By scrubbing it away with an aluminium food grade metal cleaner .
Or
A soap impregnated steel wool pan scrubber.

Don't leave the cleaning solution in / on  the pan for days at a time  as it may cause pitting of the aluminium .
Only  store the cooker pan away when it is totally dry  ,      Whatever you do  .......  Don't leave it damp / sweating or store it with the lid on .

You can invert the lid & let it rest upside down on the top of the pan once both are parts bone dry .  Don't store the weights or any disimilar metals inside the pan either or di-electric corrosion will start to take place where the different metals touch  & leave you with a pitted pan .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/2/2017, 4:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess there are Stainless Steel models but I bought this off eBay and it had never been used. Yes, I'm a tightwad.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/2/2017, 5:05 pm

sanderson wrote:... Yes, I'm a tightwad.
Me too!   Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/2/2017, 8:38 pm

Mine isn't THAT dark, but it did discolor...

Also - found potatoes for .25/lb at Kroger. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? With 40 lbs of potatoes?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/3/2017, 2:02 am

How do you prevent the potatoes from getting mushy?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/3/2017, 7:24 am

I've never had a problem. Even when dicing them.

I'm planning on doing french fry size this year as well. That way we don't have to wait forever for them to cook & then crisp. One of the recommendations I've seen on one of the fb canning pages is to use a little Pickle Crisp in the jars.... I picked some up last night...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/4/2017, 9:36 am

It's interesting to hear that Irish potatoes don't go mushy . but it will I think depend on how old the potatoes are

Recipe from page 36 , it is using new potatoes 

1one to two & a half inch dia new potatoes . Sscald or steam them till the skins easily peel off ( 4 - 5 min ? )  pack them hot & cover with boiling water  ( I guess the head room should be 1/2 an inch )
 Cap & seal  , vent steam the canner for 10 min then  process :-

A pint @ 35 min
A quart @t 40 min ,

Number size jars
#2  process for 35 min
# 2 1/2 process for 40 min
#3 jar also process at 40 min

Take them out the canner as soon as ready .

I suspect that it's the older Irish potatoes that will be the ones that go mushy .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/4/2017, 2:52 pm

Plantoid, what are new potatoes?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/6/2017, 8:35 am

Baby potatoes about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. Like the little red ones you see in the store.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/6/2017, 6:05 pm

sanderson wrote:Plantoid, what are new potatoes?

Newly harvested Irish potatoes from the first early crops of the year .

As a test of freshness you should be able to rub the skins off with your thumb or a nail brush before you boil, them .

Usually they should be not much  bigger than a medium sized chickens egg .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/7/2017, 1:34 am

Thanks, guys.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/11/2017, 9:29 am

brianj555 wrote:How do you keep pickles and peppers from becoming mushy in a water bath?  I can make refrigerator pickles and peppers and keep them wonderfully crunchy, but every time I put them in the water bath for 20 minutes , they are basically inedible due to being so mushy. 
Should I drop the water bath time down to 10 or even 5 minutes?
I have tried simply boiling the brine and pouring it in very hot in hopes that I could get a good seal, but that is hit or miss . ( more miss than hit )
Brian, I am no expert at all, just a newbie in the canning department, but the variety of cukes might have something to do with the much factor too.  Are you growing a pickling pickle?  Or a cuke that is more of a thin-skinned eating type?  That could make a difference!  I have grown eating types, but next year plant to put in tome pickling cukes, too.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2017, 3:26 am

I spent yesterday canning some of my sweet potatoes, both 1 pint and 1 cup sized jars. One of the 1 cup jars did not seal so I sampled it. Yuck. I microwaved some of the left over raw-ish cubes and they were delicious. I used plain hot water. Is that what made them so bad tasting? Or the fact that the pressure got up to 15 psi mid point in processing? I have plenty left to bake and freeze, thank goodness.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/1/2017, 7:10 am

Possibly a combination, Sanderson. It's recommended to use distilled water. I use filtered water... And a light syrup. But the 15 lbs shouldn't make TOO much of a difference if it wasn't up there long...

You could also try dehydrating them...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/1/2017, 9:23 am

plantoid wrote:
sanderson wrote:Plantoid, what are new potatoes?

Newly harvested Irish potatoes from the first early crops of the year .

As a test of freshness you should be able to rub the skins off with your thumb or a nail brush before you boil, them .

Usually they should be not much  bigger than a medium sized chickens egg .

I love New Potatoes with butter on them.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Canning experts please - I need some advice - Page 2 Empty Big cukes....

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/6/2018, 7:50 pm

OK, I got some large cucumbers from a colleague at work today who is overrun with them, apparently (and whose spouse must be the gardener, she knows nothing) pale  Is that OK that I don’t know what they are?  They have spines, I would guess Marketmore, or Straight 8....

So they are literally about 12” or so long.  Some were pitched.  Too yellow.  I will be generous with the end cleavage.  Want to do garlicky dills in quart jars.  Have the Ball book.  2 questions:

1.  Can I slice them into spears and remove the seed cavity and process like that, I am not a big fan of the seeded area in spears unlesss they are small...

2.  I want to add garlic cloves to the Grandma’s Dill recipe (2 Day).  That is OK, right?  I like garlic and have a ton of it!  Please say yes, or give me a recipe for garlicky dills!!!

I am novice (to say the least!). My first ever canning was a month ago with these.  My cukes ran out of steam, plus we ate a lot of them!  

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/f24aba10.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/6/2018, 8:45 pm

Check with the USA canning recipes , if they are able to be pressure canned then taking the seeds out should be OK .

I only sweet white vinegar dill pickle mine and use the open hot water bath canning method to bring them up to " canning heat & pressure preserving levels ".

However if I want to make a simple cucumber sweet relish they do get pressure canned in small " Weck jars "  as per the approved recipe of the USA food standards agency .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next