Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? Toplef10Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? I22gcj10Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? Toplef10Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? I22gcj10Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Companion plants for Malabar Spinach?

+4
Scorpio Rising
BeetlesPerSqFt
sanderson
Ginger Blue
8 posters

Go down

Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? Empty Companion plants for Malabar Spinach?

Post  Ginger Blue 6/2/2016, 4:24 pm

I realize lots of folks consider "companion planting" to be the stuff of folklore and myth, but I'm willing to try just about anything to help my garden grow organically.

That being said, are there any experienced Malabar Spinach growers here, who can give advice about what to plant nearby (and/or what to avoid)?  Since Malabar Spinach isn't really spinach, I'm at a loss...

thinking
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? Empty Re: Companion plants for Malabar Spinach?

Post  sanderson 6/2/2016, 5:08 pm

Hi Ginger, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Did you check out the Search feature? There are a handful of Malabar spinach threads. Just remember that it vines, otherwise it probably doesn't matter health wise what you plant next to it. Maybe others will know. I only have New Zealand spinach.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11865-friday-rookie-topic-malabar-spinach?highlight=malabar

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Companion plants for Malabar Spinach? Empty Re: Companion plants for Malabar Spinach?

Post  Ginger Blue 6/2/2016, 5:43 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome, sanderson! happy hi

I did use the Search feature and scanned the results prior to posting, but didn't see any info readily available regarding companion plants.  Even though it vines, I'm hoping to incorporate neighboring plants which will send good vibes, nutrients, or general encouragement through the soil.

Tetragonia is also in my garden plan - and is another new-to-me plant - so I'd appreciate any insight you can provide about companions (or other advice) for it. happy2
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/2/2016, 7:19 pm

First - I haven't grown this... Comments from people that have actually grown this trump my hypothesizing.

That said, I would pair it with something that doesn't vine so that it doesn't get shaded -- perhaps even something that would appreciate shade. It sounds like it likes high organic matter soils (MM should be perfect!), so I'd guess it's a "heavy feeder" -- so pair it with a "light feeder" - a plant that doesn't need a lot of nutrients. Taxonomically, it's quite distant from true spinach, but still more related to spinach than other common garden vegetables. So, based on my reasoning I'd suggest companion planting with bush beans, lettuce, parsley, scallions, or nasturtium. Maybe radish or carrots -- I hesitate because I don't know how sensitive malabar spinach is to root disturbance. I'd avoid planting it near sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes, and try to space most large brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale) further from it rather than closer.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 6/2/2016, 9:31 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:First - I haven't grown this... Comments from people that have actually grown this trump my hypothesizing.

That said, I would pair it with something that doesn't vine so that it doesn't get shaded -- perhaps even something that would appreciate shade. It sounds like it likes high organic matter soils (MM should be perfect!), so I'd guess it's a "heavy feeder" -- so pair it with a "light feeder" - a plant that doesn't need a lot of nutrients. Taxonomically, it's quite distant from true spinach, but still more related to spinach than other common garden vegetables. So, based on my reasoning I'd suggest companion planting with bush beans, lettuce, parsley, scallions, or nasturtium. Maybe radish or carrots -- I hesitate because I don't know how sensitive malabar spinach is to root disturbance. I'd avoid planting it near sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes, and try to space most large brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale) further from it rather than closer.

Thank you BeetlesPerSqFt!  Given the absence of input from growers with personal experience, I fully appreciate your hypothesis. It’s obvious you’ve done some homework on this (I read your comments on the “Companion Planting thread).

It sounds like we’re thinking along the same lines.  I have a trellised spot available for this crop near peas, cucumbers (grown vertically), and bush beans, with carrots, icicle radish, and a variety of culinary herbs and flowers planted in close proximity. Brassicas and sunflowers will be at least 7 feet away.  If the ‘spinach’ grows as I hope, it will provide hot afternoon shade for pepper bushes.
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/2/2016, 11:07 pm

glad you\'re here Ginger Blue! From Ohio

Beetles is very knowledgeable, I have no experience with Malabar spinach at all. However the logic is sound.

Good luck! I would try to avoid toxic combos...not sure if that is companion planting? Glad you found us, Ginger!
happy hi
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/3/2016, 8:06 am

I have almost no experience with Malabar spinach.  But I am growing it for the first time this year.  I planted it on the same trellis with my cucumbers.  My observation so far is that the cucumbers grew faster and taller than the Malabar and the cucumber leaves are shading the Malabar.  Also, cucumbers like a moist growing environment but I don't know if Malabar likes that.  I only have two plants in the ground so no loss if it gets overrun with cucumbers.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  magnetha 5/28/2018, 1:26 pm

I know this is an old thread... but I have some experience growing Malabar Spinach, so I thought I would post my comments here in case it's helpful to anyone else.

I'm located in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (hardiness zone 6). Malabar Spinach grows extremely well in my location, BUT... it takes a bit of time to get going. This surprised me the first year I grew it, as everything I'd read online suggested that it was a vigorous climbing plant that would quickly overtake other plants. That depends on how warm it is in your region; growth is actually very slow when temperatures are below 80°F. Once it gets warmer, though, look out!

Because of this I've started growing it in combination with climbing peas/snow peas. I've found that the peas are pretty much finished by the time the Malabar Spinach gets going, so it's a good way to make the most of any vertical space in my garden (I have a very small urban backyard garden).

I hope this is helpful! Would love to hear about any other suggested companion plants for Malabar Spinach!
magnetha
magnetha

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/28/2018, 2:38 pm

Magnetha, Thank you for sharing your experience growing Malabar spinach in Canada. Every region is different, so it's nice to hear from gardeners in different regions on a subject.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/28/2018, 3:58 pm

Hi Magnetha. Don't have Malibar, so can't really give any opinions. But welcome from Atlanta, GA!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/28/2018, 4:21 pm

Welcome Magnetha from your "neighbour" down the highway in Ottawa, Ontario ... neighbours in the sense that we live in the same Province even if we are a five or six hour drive from each other in distance. We have family in Cambridge and St.Catharines which are much closer to you. Thanks so much for the good information concerning the malabar spinach. 

:canada:
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down