Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 questions on compost Toplef102 questions on compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 questions on compost I22gcj102 questions on compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 questions on compost Toplef102 questions on compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 questions on compost I22gcj102 questions on compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2 questions on compost

5 posters

Go down

2 questions on compost Empty 2 questions on compost

Post  jimmy cee 4/20/2016, 8:29 am

1st..I have that pile of fine chipped pieces of brush.Can I add it all to my compost piles. ?

2nd, One of my piles is sort of halfway done. I want to get a load of fresh horse manure and turn the ppile over to the next bin. Would it be ok to do the halfway finished compost ? I've kept working this pile all winter. it's cold now and I know there is material in it that isn't done yet.2 questions on compost 312
2 questions on compost Compos16
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

2 questions on compost Empty Re: 2 questions on compost

Post  CapeCoddess 4/20/2016, 12:41 pm

I'm looking at the stuff I get from my chipper as wood chips, brush and all, and will be using them to mulch my perennial gardens.  I wouldn't put them in my compost pile since I have enough woody substances in there.

BUT, if I had a lot of fresh manure coming, I may be tempted to put the fresh wood chips in with that, but I would NOT put fresh manure in a half way finished pile.    Doesn't it take at least 6 mths to compost fresh manure?  I've used sifted halfway finished compost on my SFG in a pinch, and fresh manure would put on that brakes on that option.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/20/2016, 1:11 pm

If it's wood, use it as mulch. If it is bark, that will compost much more easily.

I would not add this to my compost pile.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

2 questions on compost WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 4/21/2016, 8:43 am

jimmy cee wrote:1st..I have that pile of fine chipped pieces of brush.Can I add it all to my compost piles. ?

2nd, One of my piles is sort of halfway done. I want to get a load of fresh horse manure and turn the ppile over to the next bin. Would it be ok to do the halfway finished compost ? I've kept working this pile all winter. it's cold now and I know there is material in it that isn't done yet.

Ask a question, get several different answers Smile

I generally wouldn't add the chipped brush to an existing pile UNLESS I knew I wouldn't be using the material for quite awhile, 6 months or more for the "chunky" wood.  Wood chips are very high in carbon and IMO I don't think there'd be enough residual nitrogen in a partially done pile to compensate and get the "magical" environment that you would want to get the bacteria rolling and munching on your wood chips.  

I'm generally with CC on adding the manure to a halfway finished pile.  If you're trying to "kick start" the pile again, I can understand that.  However, IMO, once you do that the pile is no longer "halfway" done. it's pretty much zero done, starting over.  If I added fresh manure, I'd also add some fresh carbon, not something very high like wood chips, maybe straw or leaves.  I'd also try to layer it into the middle of my "halfway" pile, hoping to "start a spark" in the middle of pile.  Monitor temperature, temperature should rise, as soon as it starts to fall, then flip to mix again.  Now let it do it's thing, just remember it's no longer "halfway" done.  

As far as composting your chip pile, I'd go for it.  I'd start a brand new pile though.  The only version of wood chips I've done is saw dust, so a much finer material.  Wood chips are pretty much same, you just have chunkier material.  Wood chips are very high in carbon.  Sanderson provided a nifty little calculator link from Klickitat County, you probably already have a link saved to it.  For wood chips I would suggest a 1:1 ratio of chips to horse manure.  The wood chips are just so high in carbon you need a lot of "nitrogen" to counterbalance.  Your shredded brush looks great to me and I'm envious of your shredder, but it's still a little on the "chunky" side in relation to what you want for finished product, so I think it will take a little longer than your normal for the material to break down to what you want, BUT I think it certainly can be done.  

As far as using the chipped brush as mulch.  That sounds good too, BUT those chips look "green" to me.  I'm not sure just looking at the picture, but just be careful.  If the wood you chipped was all dry and "seasoned" fine.  If there was still "green" wood in the mix, let the chip pile mellow for a little while before you use it as mulch.  Green wood chips could "burn" your plants.

My 2 cents.

P.S. somewhere in another thread someone asked about composting cardboard.  I thought wood chips were the highest in carbon, but I just looked at the Klickitat calculator and Cardboard is the winner for carbon at 378:1 followed by wood chips at 226:1 and then paper at 126:1.  From there it drops to 40-50:1 for your typical "browns" or carbons.  Just an interesting comparison IMO, the "top three" average about 5 times higher in C:N ratio than your other typical "brown" materials.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/21/2016, 1:34 pm

I'm going to use this as mulch in the front yard color spot. They are 2 days old with lots of skinny green leaves. Ramial chips with heavy on the leaves. I'll let you know how it goes before using yours as mulch. I know the fresh ramial chips from our tree 18 months ago really heated up in the containers and had a tight web of filaments growing.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/21/2016, 7:46 pm

Thanks everyone,  
Will start new pile with chips. After screening old half done pile, I'll just toss the leftovers in the new one.
This answers both my questions.
I'm having a small maple tree cut down and chipped, chips are mine, so that will give me a good start...chips, horse manure, and discarded veggies...lots of ammunition there. I'll add some elbow grease also.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/22/2016, 3:19 am

And some coffee grounds Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/22/2016, 6:28 am

sanderson wrote:And some coffee grounds Wink
Thats just a standard here, never an empty pile of coffee grinds.2 questions on compost Eco_sh10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down