Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Myrtle Beach! Toplef10Hello from Myrtle Beach! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Myrtle Beach! I22gcj10Hello from Myrtle Beach! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Myrtle Beach! Toplef10Hello from Myrtle Beach! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Myrtle Beach! I22gcj10Hello from Myrtle Beach! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Myrtle Beach!

+6
Kelejan
mschaef
AtlantaMarie
Scorpio Rising
mollyhespra
Kathy Gizzi
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty Hello from Myrtle Beach!

Post  Kathy Gizzi 2/10/2016, 8:05 pm

I've been wanting to do this for years-and I'm finally going all out!  I'm really hoping I can get the feedback that will help me do it right!  Super excited!
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty Any help appreciated!

Post  Kathy Gizzi 2/10/2016, 8:19 pm

OK, so I'm preparing to get started this season. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC, so I'm thinking I can manage several harvests before the next cold season plagues us!

Here's what I've done:

I have a large pavered patio space directly behind my kitchen area.  I ordered (and received) 4, 2 X 8 foot cedar boxes.  They are 10 inches deep, and honestly, I love them!  

I also ordered a porch swing that will actually hang directly in the french doors off my kitchen, so I can sit and enjoy my garden daily.

Now, the questions:  I have planned everything out on graph paper...right down to the crops, harvest season, and planting dates.  What I'm wondering is this....is there anyone I can get to look at my sketches and tell me if I should move anything around?  I've got a few of the same things side by side-which I know is not ideal for lazy bugs-but, aesthetically it will provide the look I'm going for.

As mentioned above, ANY help is appreciated!  I want to be successful so as to avoid discouragement!
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty Re: Hello from Myrtle Beach!

Post  mollyhespra 2/10/2016, 8:45 pm

Hi, Kathy & welcome to the forum! Just post some pictures of your plan, including orientation to the sun and I'm sure you'll get the feedback you're wanting. Hello from Myrtle Beach! 3170584802
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/10/2016, 8:49 pm

Wow, Kathy! Sounds like you have a nice plan and set-up! Welcome to SFG! Yes, this is the place to get opinions, when you ask, we shall deliver! Many of us are noobs, but there are a bunch of seasoned vets on here that will be able to help you with planning, placement, etc.

Can you post your plans? Then folks can chime in and give you some tips on what they have experienced, and Mel would recommend!

Once again, glad you\'re here from Ohio! Can't wait to see what you have planned!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8805

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/10/2016, 8:51 pm

Us, too, Kathy! Can't wait to be a part of your journey. Post pictures, they are uber helpful!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty ??

Post  Kathy Gizzi 2/10/2016, 8:53 pm

As far as sun orientation goes, I haven't gotten that far.  However, this is a very open area; meaning very little shade.  I can create shade if needed.

Hello from Myrtle Beach! 4Hello from Myrtle Beach! Epson013Hello from Myrtle Beach! Epson014

Last edited by Kathy Gizzi on 2/10/2016, 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/10/2016, 9:16 pm

Hi Kathy. Welcome from Atlanta, GA. We're glad you're here with us.

Don't have time to look at plans at this moment, but will try tomorrow...

Again, welcome!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5597

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 2/10/2016, 9:59 pm

I briefly look over your layout and the only things that popped a flag for me was your tomatoes. In the past mine start out all cute and stay in their square but by mid season they are monster that block the squares around them. So here is my thoughts: what type/ (determinate or indeterminate) kind of tomatoes are you planning on growing? I always get them confused but one is bushy and the other is a vine, I think. Shocked if its the vine one you should be good but if its bushy you might hat to check out how to prune them and keep it up not slack like I have done halfway through the season.

Good luck and a very exciting season!!!!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 597

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/10/2016, 10:31 pm

OK, looks good, keep in mind that anything trellised should be next to each other, pole beans, etc.  Are you trellising your cukes? In general, trellises should be on the north end of your garden.  And tomatoes are very needy (but worth it) and indeterminant types can take over and overshadow shorter crops.  Any succession plans for the tulip squares?

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 2/10/2016, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the north trellis thing)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/11/2016, 12:19 am

glad you\'re here  Kathy Gizzi happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: 

Some people put their corn in a block of four squares and that helps with fertilization.

Look forward to seeing your progress.  Always exciting growing some of you food for the first time.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6009

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/11/2016, 3:53 am

Kathy, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here We are here to help you. My best advice is to get a copy of All New Square Foot Gardening as it is a great reference as you start your journey. Yes, post photos, we love them.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21603

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/11/2016, 4:10 am

Hi Kathy, I agree that corn should be grown in a block of at least 4 squares, each with 4 plants. Determinant tomatoes tend to bush out so I would put them on corners with cages. Indeterminates can be supported with the trellis if you select the main stem and one or two suckers to train up the trellis. Summer squash spreads out so they should also be in corners so they can fall over the edge. Winter squash is one per square and can be trained up the trellis. The leaves can get huge, creating shade.

This is your first garden so everything should be considered a great experiment. You will learn so, so much about how the plants will actually grow, how big, how tall.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21603

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/11/2016, 6:29 am

Yes, this first year just plant as per your plan and you will see what happens to some plants.  Then you can adjust as you learn.

You will have enough successes that should encourage you.

Last year I planted some tomatoes in a bed, they seemed to take forever to grow then finally took off and I realised I had not given them enough room. This year I will intersperse them with crops like lettuce that can be harvested, leaving room for the spreaders after refurbishing the  used squares with a trowel of compost.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6009

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty The new plan!

Post  Kathy Gizzi 2/11/2016, 10:16 am

OK, I revamped a few things to keep all of my corn together.  I am planning on using the vine tomatoes, so they will be trellised.

I've attached the reworked version, as well as a pic of where it will all go.  For directional purposed, my house is to the north. So, like I said, there is rarely shade.  However, I am planning on placing 2 of my boxes along the wall of the porch.  Those will be my boxes with trellises.  That way, the railing can offer support, and I can direct them onto the railing if need be.  The swing will hang in that back french door.Hello from Myrtle Beach! Epson017Hello from Myrtle Beach! Epson018Hello from Myrtle Beach! Patio_10

Next question, tulips.  Everything I am reading tells me that they are next to impossible to order at this time of year.  Apparently, I should have ordered and planted them in the winter.  Am I too late for them this year?  Will they actually bloom this year-or am I in waiting until next spring?  They are my absolute FAVORITE flower, so I'd really like some this year!

Also, onions.  I'm lost here.  My sister said, "make sure you buy your pairs early, or you wont find them".......

To be honest, I played along-but I have no idea what that even means!!!!!! HELP! This is all so overwhelming!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty Confused

Post  Kathy Gizzi 2/11/2016, 12:58 pm

I am in Myrtle Beach, SC.  I just read the Lower South planting times and I'm confused!

Does "undercover" mean start indoors?  I've read the book cover to cover and was under the impression the only thing that HAD TO be started indoors were tomatoes.

Have I misunderstood something?  The following is what I'd like to plant this year.  What should I be starting now?  And should it be started inside or outside?

Silver Queen corn
Banana Peppers
Bell Peppers
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Butter Lettuce
Red leaf lettuce
Cucumbers
Snow Peas
Sugar Snap Peas
Ugly Ripe Tomatoes
Beefsteak tomatoes
Pole Beans
Beets (orange, red and yellow)
Carrots
onions (sweet)
Chives
Cabbage (green and savoy)
Spinach

Tulips
Marigolds
Salvia
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/11/2016, 5:14 pm

Kathy - BREATHE! Just take a deep breath...

Many plants are helped by starting them indoors. Just think about the plants you get from the big box stores. They were all started in a greenhouse of some type. Really, the only things that are difficult to start indoors are beans, carrots, & corn. That's because they don't like their roots disturbed by transplanting.

Tulips - boy, I hope you're wrong because I've got some that I need to get in the ground too! ;-)

Cabbage, spinach, cauli, broccoli are all cold-weather plants. Get them going immediately if you want any kind of harvest. Once it starts getting warm, they get bitter &/or don't produce, &/or "bolt" or go to seed.

Everything else you can get going now too. They are warm-weather plants, so you won't be able to get them in the ground for a while, but they'll benefit by added growth before transplanting.

Beans, carrots, corn, peas - direct sow after your last frost date - probably around April 15... The soil needs to be at least 55-60 degrees for them to germinate.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty Breathing!

Post  Kathy Gizzi 2/11/2016, 5:25 pm

Thank you so much Marie!
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/11/2016, 6:09 pm

We plant our tulips in the Fall for a Spring showing of flowers. I planted some bulbs in my SFG boxes.  Just have to make sure I don't mistakenly eat any of the bulbs.

Got the following off the Web:

"Tulips, narcissus, and daffodils rarely cause fatalities, but do containtoxic glycosides that may cause dizziness, abdominal pain and upset, and even, on occasion, convulsions. In the past during times of food shortages, the bulbs have been consumed, mistaken for onions, another lily."
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5388

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty Seeds ordered!

Post  Kathy Gizzi 2/11/2016, 8:11 pm

Went with Johnny's Seeds.  All seeds have been ordered.  I also got starter trays and some fun other stuff-including a heating mat!  Can't wait!

Sadly, I'll be traveling most of the rest of this month, so the outdoor bed starting won't happen until after 02/27.   With the cold that is forcasted, I'm thinking that will be OK.  Inside seeds will be started as soon as they arrive though!
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/12/2016, 10:12 am

Kathy Gizzi wrote:Thank you so much Marie!

You're welcome, lol! Believe me, I know how easy it is to get overwhelmed with all these plans. :-)

Just ask questions. You might look in the archives as well. There's LOTS of good info there!

You know we're all here to help you succeed....!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kathy Gizzi 3/23/2016, 10:01 am

Just wanted to jump on real quick and say a very heartfelt "thank you" to everyone here!

When I started this process, I planned, planned, planned.  Still, even with all of the prep, the entire process seemed very overwhelming to me.  I read ANSFG cover to cover before I even hit these forums.  The book, of course, has proven invaluable (although I'd like to see the spacing for more fruits and veggies).  

I followed all of the guidelines, asked a lot of questions (most of them just ridiculous!), and pressed on!

I am proud to say that I think I am past the feeling of being completely overwhelmed!  Yes, I've lost a few plants, but who cares???!!!  The beauty of this process is its' renewability!  I believe I've finally reached the point of feeling comfortable enough to experiment a bit and not be hugely disappointed with the outcome if it is not as expected.

COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THIS BOARD!!!!!!
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/23/2016, 1:32 pm

If the number of seeds to plant is not in the book, there is a formula you can use.  

12 divided by the spacing on the seed packet squared.

For instance.  If the seed pack says final spacing is 6 inches.
                    12/6=2 squared = 4 per square foot

For instance.  If the seed pack says final spacing is 3 inches.
                    12/3 = 4 squared = 16 per square foot

For instance.  If the seed pack says final spacing is 4 inches.
                    12/4 = 3 squared = 9 per square foot

Some other findings based on internet googling.
If the packet says thin to 12 inches = 1 per square foot
If the packet says thin to 8 inches = 2 per square foot
If the packet says thin to 6 inches = 4 per square foot
If the packet says thin to 4 inches = 9 per square foot
If the packet says thin to 3 inches = 16 per square foot

There are also lots of gardeners that have put the spacing for various vegetables on the internet.

Here is one site. I have no idea if the following information is accurate or not.  You really ought to go to this website.  The site gives information about planting each vegetable and fertilizer requirements etc.  She does not use SFG fully but it is still informative.  Her MM is a little different than the traditional MM.
http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/plant-spacing/

Plant# Per SquarePlantSpacing# of Squares
Basil4Arithocke48″not suitable for SFG
Beans, bush9
Beans, pole8Asparagus12″not suitable for SFG
Beets9
Carrots16Broccoli18″4 per 9 squares
Celery1Brussels sprouts18″4 per 9 squares
Chives9Cabbage18″4 per 9 squares
Cilantro9Cantaloupe24″2 with trellis
Collard greens1Cauliflower18″4 per 9 squares
Corn3Pumpkins24″2 with trellis
Cucumbers2Rhubarb36″not suitable for SFG
Dill1
Eggplant1Summer squash24″4 with cage
Garlic4 or 9Tomatoes12″1 with stakes
Kale124″4 with cage
Kohlrabi436″9 no support
Leeks4 or 9Watermelon24″2 with trellis
Lettuce, leaf4Winter Squash24″2 with trellis
Lettuce, head1Zucchini24″4 with cage
Mustard greens16 
Okra1 
Onions, storage4 or 9 
Onions, green16 
Oregano1 
Parsley1 
Parsnips16 
Peas8 
Peppers1 
Potatoes1 
Radishes16 
Rosemary1 
Rutabagas4 
Spinach9 
Sweet potatoes1 
Swiss Chard4 
Turnips9 
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/23/2016, 2:21 pm

Kathy,
Welcome from NC by Surf City. You have quite a Grand Plan but what else should we expect from someone from the Grand Strand!

Starting out can be overwhelming, but from your latest post and looking at the post dates, it looks like you are well on your way. I am no expert at what to do, but I have learned a lot about what NOT to do AND that you need to expect the unexpected (e.g.-kudzu bugs, end-rot, damping off, etc) One of the unexpected things I experience was the size of the Zucchini leaves - easily 14" across and going out in all directions.

Good luck and keep us updated.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1303

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty :)

Post  Kathy Gizzi 3/24/2016, 10:51 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Hello from Myrtle Beach! Empty ???

Post  Kathy Gizzi 3/25/2016, 7:10 pm

Dill is one per square?  Pretty sure I did 9!!!!
Kathy Gizzi
Kathy Gizzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next