Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Things I plan to do differently next year/season Toplef10Things I plan to do differently next year/season 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Things I plan to do differently next year/season I22gcj10Things I plan to do differently next year/season 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Things I plan to do differently next year/season Toplef10Things I plan to do differently next year/season 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Things I plan to do differently next year/season I22gcj10Things I plan to do differently next year/season 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Things I plan to do differently next year/season

5 posters

Go down

Things I plan to do differently next year/season Empty Things I plan to do differently next year/season

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2015, 9:37 am

OK, I have a couple things I am going to do differently next year, and here they are!

1. Start sunflower seeds inside and transplant out as plants. My volunteer sunflowers from the birdfeeder are bee magnets! I almost never look out there and don't see bees on them! And they are pretty. I planted 3 packets of really pretty, different varieties of sunflowers, and only 1 plant made it! Birdfeed, I guess lol

2. Work my spring crop early! Couldn't do that this year, since my beds weren't even made or ready until mid-June. Therefore my radishes and spinach were not the greatest.

3. Put more basil in! I think I will luse containers on my patio for this. I love fresh basil, pesto, everything about it! And it is very expensive to buy.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Things I plan to do differently next year/season Empty Re: Things I plan to do differently next year/season

Post  Marc Iverson 8/2/2015, 4:31 pm

Good idea on the basil. It's pretty easy to grow, and crazy expensive at the store. Great crop to grow at home.

Some things I'll do differently next year:

1. I think I'll finally try some sunflowers too!

2. Plant a full spring crop. I think I was just burnt out on a lot of things over the course of this last year, and missed out on a lot of good fresh eating because I couldn't be bothered to plant spring crops. Next year I'll plant, at the very least, snap peas again.

3. Turn more of my 5-gallon buckets into self-watering containers.

4. Plant more flowers generally.

5. Plant more kale. As much as I love the crop, I didn't plant very much of it this year, which was a mistake.

6. Plant tomatillos again. I was very successful with them last year, but turned over that planting space entirely to tomatoes this year. I need the occasional big success story to keep feeling positive about the garden day by day, and tomatillos are one of the few plants that loves full sun every day through our superhot summers. (Even though they seem to go through water at least as fast as any other plant if not faster.)

7. Plant more herbs. Last year my herbs were swarming with bees for months once they flowered, and I'd like to help the bees out that way again next year. The oregano, especially, got big and healthy and produced thousands of blossoms for months on end.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Things I plan to do differently next year/season Empty Re: Things I plan to do differently next year/season

Post  Windmere 8/3/2015, 3:10 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
5.  Plant more kale.  As much as I love the crop, I didn't plant very much of it this year, which was a mistake.

Marc, it's not too late on the kale.  Plant a cold hearty variety in the fall, and you'll have a steady winter supply if you like.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/3/2015, 3:36 pm

I did plant some kale seeds for fall.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/3/2015, 6:11 pm

I am going to plant kale this weekend. I think one SF of potatoes are coming out, so carrots and kale going in.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 8/3/2015, 8:08 pm

Working on a new drip & mini spray irrigation system for the raised beds & fruit. I was using soaker hose but it started to burst after two years of use.
Craig
TCgardening
TCgardening

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 8/4/2015, 12:02 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:3.  Put more basil in!  I think I will luse containers on my patio for this.  I love fresh basil, pesto, everything about it!  And it is very expensive to buy.
I second that!  Pesto is one of my favorite things in life.  Basil is so easy to grow and pesto is so easy to make 10 times better than anything you can buy.
drooling
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down