Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? Toplef10Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? I22gcj10Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? Toplef10Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? I22gcj10Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas?

5 posters

Go down

Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? Empty Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas?

Post  ASFx Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:15 am

Not sure if my mind has just gone blank, but i can't think of anything to grow besides peas for the upcoming cool season. Anyone have some ideas? For now i was just thinking of getting like four different types of peas and see which one i liked best.
ASFx

Male Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? Empty Re: Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas?

Post  acara Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:02 am

EVERYTHING !!!!

My stupid-logic is ... what can it hurt??

Probably just my OCD, or a latent control-fetish ..... but I like to keep everything in my SFG organized and tidy.

Plus "going vertical" makes the varmits/pest work for their damn dinner tongue

Seriously though ... plants/fruits sprawling on ground usually ends badly here in FL......so I try to trellis everything (right or wrong ...I dunno).

I currently have beans, peas, 'maters, cukes and cantalope all going on trellis systems.

Keep in mind ... I have a whopping 11 days of SFG experience though ....so someone with a little more experience should probably pipe-in and validate
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? Empty Re: Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas?

Post  ASFx Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:05 am

Acara, thank you for your input.

I did grow lots of tomatoes, squash, beans, watermelons, and more during this summer, but now im looking for the best way to use all my trellis space for the cool season. So far I have a couple varieties of peas, but that's it.
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  acara Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:25 am

Actually, I was thinking that if I didn't have enough winter veggie stuff to occupy my trellis walls, I was going to try the flower-wall suggestion from that talented young gentlemen on the forums here.

Looks pretty easy to attach those self watering recycled plastic bottle/containers to the lattice, as a filler until the Spring planting time.

If all else fails ...Halloween & Christmas are right around the corner ..... so I may have some additional real estate for lights and decorations this year What a Face
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:13 am

When is your frost date? Got time to put some pumpkins in? My watermelon has been asleep all summer and finally just woke up.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:47 am

Megan wrote:When is your frost date? Got time to put some pumpkins in? My watermelon has been asleep all summer and finally just woke up.

Not enough time for pumpkins. I've got another two months or so before it will be pretty cold. The first frost is supposed to be october 31st here in Las Vegas, but it never freezes where I am. Once in a while it will dip into the high 30s at night, but that's about it. I can grow cool season veggies through the entire winter until next spring when I plant my summer veggies again.
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:52 am

I have to admit I'm stumped for trellis veggies other than peas, then. Vining plants seem to be warm weather critters. You might have a shot at bush beans?
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:02 am

I'm in the same temperate zone as you and I can't think of anything besides peas either. But if you grow several varieties as you suggest, you'll have a fun mix.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? Empty Nasturtiums?

Post  ander217 Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Does anyone know if vining nasturtiums would grow this time of year? You can always add a few blossoms to your salads.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Don't know if they will sprout, but the ones I started from seed this spring have "woken back up" again in the last couple weeks.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Things to grow on a trellis during cool season besides peas? Empty nasturtiums

Post  ander217 Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:05 am

Since no one answered I googled to try to answer my own question, and I found one site which said that nasturtiums can be fall planted in "warmer climes" - whatever that means. (Warmer in relation to which area?)

I planted a couple of seeds myself yesterday just to see what they would do here. I should have soaked the seeds first for faster germination, but I didn't have the patience to wait so I planted them and watered well. We'll see.

ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:51 pm

I think they should sprout for you... whether they will survive long, I don't know. I had trouble germinating mine, but the one that did sprout grew strongly.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down