Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My carrots didn't germinate very well??? Toplef10My carrots didn't germinate very well??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My carrots didn't germinate very well??? I22gcj10My carrots didn't germinate very well??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My carrots didn't germinate very well??? Toplef10My carrots didn't germinate very well??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My carrots didn't germinate very well??? I22gcj10My carrots didn't germinate very well??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My carrots didn't germinate very well???

+4
Ha-v-v
timwardell
martha
GloriaG
8 posters

Go down

My carrots didn't germinate very well??? Empty My carrots didn't germinate very well???

Post  GloriaG 5/7/2010, 8:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I planted carrot seeds directly into the ground - no soaking or anything - on April 23. Of the 32 "spots" planted in two squares only about 10 -12 have sprouted. Immediately after I planted them it rained but we've had hot and dry the last few days. I've watered once each day, in the morning. Since the seed packet says they germinate in about 7 days, I was wondering if I should be concerned yet? Should I put in more seed? Should I try to soak the seeds first? My carrots didn't germinate very well??? 601593

Thanks,
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

My carrots didn't germinate very well??? Empty Re: My carrots didn't germinate very well???

Post  martha 5/7/2010, 8:59 pm

the seeds are tiny, and you said it rained. Do you think they could have gotten washed away?

Do you have room to plant more?

You could use the same space, and you may or may not have the same thing happen as I did. I was whining on this Forum about the low percentage of germination I had with my tomatoes. So in some of my seedling flats, I put something else where the tomatoes didn't germinate. Well, now I know how to get tomatoes to germinate! My carrots didn't germinate very well??? Lol
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

My carrots didn't germinate very well??? Empty My carrots didn't germinate very well???

Post  GloriaG 5/7/2010, 10:20 pm

Yes -I have space to replant. I think I can get the seeds close to the original spots.
So it isn't too late to replant?
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

My carrots didn't germinate very well??? Empty Re: My carrots didn't germinate very well???

Post  timwardell 5/7/2010, 10:35 pm

Sometimes it happens. I had to replant some of my spinach 3 times this year! I say replant while you still can.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 5/8/2010, 1:50 am

Tim, I'll do it tomorrow. I'm so new to this, is it common for so many seeds not to germinate? Should I be over-planting to make sure I have enough? Also, do you soak all of your seeds before planting?
Thanks
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/8/2010, 7:26 am

to get tomatoes to germinate!

I read this and thought .. germinate, germinate how do I do that ? Thought about this the whole way to Lowe's to buy Mel's book on sale. I had read the value edition, but didnt remember seeing the germinate section until I started "re reading" the full edition (with colored pics !! ) And what did I get to !! Germinating !! So I will start my germination projects Sunday :-D So excited !
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/8/2010, 8:23 am

When I direct seed unless it is cool and overcast I water twice a day as I've discovered that the top 1/2" of Mel's mix dried out fast and that is where the small seeds are. I also seed twice as many as I think will germinate -- this only applies to small seeds. Also, everything I've read about carrots state a germination time of 10-17 days, so you might want to gently dig out one that hasn't poked it's head out to see if it is just a slow poke. I have such a hard time being patient when it comes to gardening!

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade, but it is probably too late to re-seed to get a good crop. Carrots are a cool weather crop. For you area, the last suggested date for planting carrots was March 16th. However, if you can shade the bed for a couple of weeks, that might help. Here's a link to my second most used resource next to SFG:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/guides/E-502_home_vegetable_guide.pdf

I printed it out and keep it with my SFG book.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/8/2010, 8:46 am

I think (think?) my carrots are germinating... what is coming up in that square looks different from my other squares. I had 3 squares reserved for them, though... square #2 is going in today, rain permitting!

I haven't tried digging up a carrot to see, but I did dig up one of my limas. It is slowly splitting apart and looking ruffly inside. I very carefully put it back in, hope I didn't kill it.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/8/2010, 8:52 am

I doubt you killed your lima unless you damaged the root, but if it was just starting to split, it may not have put out a root yet. The cats dug up a square of my bean seeds and they came up everywhere. I carefully dug them up and put them where they are supposed to be and all but one transplanted fine.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/8/2010, 9:01 am

Thanks, belfrybat. I didn't see any trace of a root, so I am crossing my fingers it is okay. I had planted two beans in that square, didn't find any trace of the other one. So, I planted some more, of both limas and the regular beans. Hopefully at least some will come up? If most do, I will have plants to share! The Christmas lima seed is really pretty, I can't wait to see what the pods look like.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/8/2010, 9:04 pm

Gloria Said:
Tim, I'll do it tomorrow. I'm so new to this, is it common for so many seeds not to germinate? Should I be over-planting to make sure I have enough? Also, do you soak all of your seeds before planting?

Gloria, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't soak my seed. If I don't soak it I do like belfry and water the square daily to keep the seed moist. There was another tread that recommended green tea for soaking with those who did it saying they had 100% germination rates. I plan to give it a try next year.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/9/2010, 3:36 am

I am in So Cal in an inland valley - where it gets pretty hot. I use the Sunset planting zones and according to Western Garden Guide carrots are good to plant every month of the year. So, I say do not be discouraged. Put the next batch in and see what happens. The worst you will do is waste a square and you will definitely learn the tolerance of your area for carrots planted at different times.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 5/9/2010, 10:55 am

Thanks Tim, belfrybat and Chopper, My carrots didn't germinate very well??? 109486

I'm going to give replanting a try - I figure it can't hurt and it may help so I'm willing to try. I did soak the seeds overnight - but I have to say that getting those tinnnnyyyyy... wet seeds planted is a challenge. Lots of patience needed here, lol! We'll have to wait and see if anything happens. Thanks again for all the help and I will check out the links.

Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

My carrots didn't germinate very well??? Empty Re: My carrots didn't germinate very well?

Post  NancyD 5/9/2010, 11:02 am

Megan,
You are very close to me. I thought I had an issue with my carrots as well. Turns out, they were slow to germinate. I waited quite awhile, thought I saw something, but wasn't sure if it was weeds. I just kept watering, and now I know they are definitely carrots! Your's may come thru yet.

Patience is a virtue I do not possess!
Nancy
NancyD
NancyD

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/9/2010, 2:01 pm

Thanks Nancy. My first square of carrots seems to be coming along. At least, something is growing in there alongside the onions.... I haven't gone poking around to see what it is. Smile
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down