Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Box Dimensions Toplef10Box Dimensions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Box Dimensions I22gcj10Box Dimensions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Box Dimensions Toplef10Box Dimensions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Box Dimensions I22gcj10Box Dimensions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Box Dimensions

+6
FeedMeSeeMore
Kelejan
AtlantaMarie
sfg4uKim
sanderson
frankg813_1
10 posters

Go down

Box Dimensions Empty Box Dimensions

Post  frankg813_1 6/18/2015, 7:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to the site and SFG.  I would like to utilize the garden area that is adjacent to my rear property wall.  The garden is about 4'-9" wide.  I would like to know if planning a 2 foot wide box is okay.  I would like to have the box centered making about 16" clearance from the back wall and from the front border.
frankg813_1
frankg813_1

Back to top Go down

Box Dimensions Empty Re: Box Dimensions

Post  sanderson 6/19/2015, 12:37 am

Frank, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here To answer your question, yes, you can make a 2' wide garden. However, 16" for an isle is kind of tight. Have you read All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st or 2nd Edition, by Mel Bartholomew? There is a lot of good info that works so good for small back yards. (Like mine) Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21616

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 6/19/2015, 7:37 am

My SFG is 2' x 23' along a fence with just a couple inches clearance between the bed and the fence. I also have another garden bed against my house again with a couple inches clearance. I put cedar boards against the foundation.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Box Dimensions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/19/2015, 8:27 am

Hi Frank.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!  Glad you're here.

We've got 2 foot-wide boxes along our fence line.  They work great except for:

1.  The corners, which are a pain to get to
2.  The fence-line itself - it's hard to keep free of grass, weeds, etc.

If it's against a wall, just be sure to put enough cardboard, newspaper, etc. down to keep the weeds at bay.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5603

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/19/2015, 11:04 am

glad you\'re here FRANK  happy hi

from Kelejan :canada:

Two-feet wide is fine.  4 x 4 is the standard, but one can do any size needed to fit in with the space you have.  My preference is not more than three feet deep as that means I can comfortably reach in 18 inches on either side without falling into the bed.

I am a short person and next time I come back I have asked for an extra 2 inches on my arms and my legs so that I can reach into a 4 x 4 bed and  I do not have to look around in the supermarket and ask people to get me something from the top shelf. The rest of me is perfect. At least my DH said so. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6014

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/19/2015, 12:44 pm

Kelejan wrote:I am a short person and next time I come back I have asked for an extra 2 inches on my arms and my legs so that I can reach into a 4 x 4 bed and  I do not have to look around in the supermarket and ask people to get me something from the top shelf Very Happy
Me, too!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21616

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 6/19/2015, 12:47 pm

Kelejan wrote:
I am a short person and next time I come back I have asked for an extra 2 inches on my arms and my legs so that I can reach into a 4 x 4 bed and  I do not have to look around in the supermarket and ask people to get me something from the top shelf. The rest of me is perfect. At least my DH said so. Very Happy

Me too. I have a life (this one) long membership in the shorties club.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/19/2015, 1:11 pm

I hear the same short person complaints from my wife and her siblings (all short), whenever they see me reaching for something up high that they would have to get a step-stool for.

I respond by complaining that I'm the only one in the family who frequently has an owie on their head from running into things that they can walk under without ducking! Not to mention, that being closer to the ground, picking things up off the ground is easier for them, and that it doesn't hurt as much when they fall! Wink

Pros and cons to everything! Razz
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/19/2015, 1:28 pm

I'm not a shortie at 5'7", but when the bed is on the ground, I can't get to the middle squares easily.  No problems with my tabletops as I don't risk falling into the MM in the bed.  rofl  Now if I could just get my tabletops back.  Will have to be a winter project.  It is just too darn hot out there to do more than minimum gardening and using the existing beds.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Box Dimensions Empty What a friendly community!!

Post  frankg813_1 6/19/2015, 2:18 pm

Thanks for all of your responses.  The reason that I'm asking about this  is that my wife doesn't like the idea of my infringing on our lawn area to add these garden boxes.  Here in the desert southwest, it's considered a luxury of having a lawn these days, I was trying to convert some lawn space into growing bed space but she winced at this.  So the pressure is on me to put the bordering garden spaces to good use as grow beds.  If all goes well, then I can use this to negotiate some space on the lawn. 

I've not yet read the book...I ordered the 2nd edition.  This will be the book that's in my batters box of reads.  My grow beds will be shaded most of the day from direct sun, so I imagine that I will be limited on what I can grow.
frankg813_1
frankg813_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/19/2015, 2:32 pm

Might I suggest experimenting with self-watering containers?  You have more than adequate space to place them in the area and have walking room.  You could even landscape the surrounds with your preferred choice of mulch.

I am thinking that once your wife tastes the difference in fresh-picked veggies, she will then allow you to put more containers on the rest of your property, as a form of artistic landscaping.

Mel's Mix works fine in our containers.  We chose coconut coir instead of peat moss, because it tends to retain water better.  We used the vermiculite and compost as prescribed in the book, and we added Azomite powder to enrich the mix with added minerals.  The Azomite also makes your crops taste better.

Self-watering containers make it easier for you living if you are living in desert conditions.

In our self-watering containers, we grow Jericho Romaine Lettuce (designed to thrive in the desert in Israel), mustard greens, radish-beets-turnips (both for the greens and roots), chard, kale, and pickling cucumbers.  This year, we had a volunteer zucchini appear in one of the containers, and as things turned out, it was the first plant to provide us with a fruit.

Containers are really easy to work with if you consistently monitor your crops.  You can also move them if a need arises, like a hailstorm, 90 mph winds, or if it is too hot in the direct sun.

My number one bit of advice for a new person is to make sure you allow yourself to love what you are doing and do not turn it into your job--unless you plan to make it a job to sell at a farmer's market or to farm to table eateries.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/19/2015, 6:43 pm

Kelejan wrote:

Careful -- that scenario means you won't have to strain as much to reach up, but you'll have to stoop and strain more to reach down. And most of the world you'll ever have to deal with lies low rather than high.

My number one bit of advice for a new person is to make sure you allow yourself to love what you are doing and do not turn it into your job--unless you plan to make it a job to sell at a farmer's market or to farm to table eateries.

Good thinking! Goes with your advice to use self-watering containers, and also with how wonderful a watering system can be. Last year I used to spend an hour and a half watering just one place I gardened in. I could spend two and a half hours a day watering, and that's if I watered just once a day. People who just have to turn on a spigot and walk back inside, or who even have their watering programmed into an electronic system, have eliminated a huge amount of (sometimes very time-consuming and sweaty) labor from their lives.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Box Dimensions Empty self watering containers

Post  frankg813_1 6/19/2015, 6:58 pm

Can anyone direct me to the best place to find out about self watering containers?

Thanks,
frankg813_1
frankg813_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/19/2015, 7:10 pm

Check the DIY(do it yourself) forum right here at SFG, and the container and DIY sections at Tomatoville.com, a really great site with tons of info on self-watering container experiments and other types of container growing.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down