Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Being more specific about your Location Toplef10Being more specific about your Location 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Being more specific about your Location I22gcj10Being more specific about your Location 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Being more specific about your Location Toplef10Being more specific about your Location 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Being more specific about your Location I22gcj10Being more specific about your Location 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Being more specific about your Location

+6
Elizabeth
Windmere
FRED58
freedoms1791
TCgardening
sanderson
10 posters

Go down

Being more specific about your Location Empty Being more specific about your Location

Post  sanderson 4/11/2015, 10:08 pm

I would like to take a moment here, and encourage both new and old members to be more specific with your Location under your Profile.  It really helps members to know your general location when asking a question, highlighting a new product you found, or just regular yacking about our gardens.

You don't have to post your home address or a Google Earth photo of your house!  Very Happy  TMI!  But, Zone 6b, or Deep South, or Really Cold Place are kind of vague.  thinking   I debated whether to list Fresno, CA as my location.  Personal info out there is kind of scary.  But then I thought, "Maybe there are other members or future members in the Valley?"  Locations like your town and state, or 50 miles north of Memphis TN, or Tahacapi Mnts of CA, at least give folks an idea of your location and climate situation.  So, unless you are an undercover spy or AMW star, I want to personally encourage you to share your general location.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Being more specific about your Location Empty Re: Being more specific about your Location

Post  TCgardening 4/12/2015, 5:37 pm

Done, updated mine
Craig
TCgardening
TCgardening

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Being more specific about your Location Empty Re: Being more specific about your Location

Post  sanderson 4/12/2015, 8:27 pm

Being more specific about your Location 3170584802 Thank you!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  freedoms1791 4/12/2015, 8:42 pm

Done updated.
freedoms1791
freedoms1791

Male Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/12/2015, 8:49 pm

Thanks!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 4/12/2015, 9:23 pm

Done. Kincardine, Ontario, Canada OMAFRA Zone D, I think its 5b
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/13/2015, 1:09 am

Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Being more specific about your Location Empty Gardeners Code

Post  Windmere 4/13/2015, 2:04 pm

Thanks for this post Sanderson.  It took me quite a while before I became comfortable with listing my city and state.  However, I have a bit of a theory.  When my wife introduced me to camping, she told me we could leave our campsite and go to local grocery store without worrying about our belongings left at the site.  I was aghast.  Then she said that there is a "campers code" where people just leave your stuff alone.  She said that because camping is such hard work,usually no one will steal because hard workers generally do not steal, etc.

Of course all of this is a huge generalization.  However... you have to admit that we gardeners are all hard workers.  Infer what you will....

Plus, like you said, we're really not listing extreme specifics.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth 4/13/2015, 2:22 pm

Thank you Sanderson.  One of my biggest complaints is non specific locals.  A county and state will in no way make you a target but will really provide forum members with regional growing conditions and improve all responses.  USDA zones provide no information about actual, regional growing conditions. 

An additional benefit of providing  a county and state is that forum members can research Land Grant University and local Extension Office databases for very region specific information.

I have no problem doing the research especially for new members but I do need some information.

OK - I have Rambled enough.

Thanks again for your post.  I hope the response will be positive and better yet - global.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/13/2015, 3:05 pm

An excellent point about needing to know general location/locale. Some of us like assisting folks with doing a bit of research.

Elizabeth wrote:

An additional benefit of providing  a county and state is that forum members can research Land Grant University and local Extension Office databases for very region specific information.

Also known as the Cooperative Extension Service. Here is one for NH Cooperative Extension Service

Half way down the page at this link you can find a list of state Extension Service website links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_State_Research,_Education,_and_Extension_Service

Massachusetts is an exception in that all their funds go to UMASS and the Agricultural programs there.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Being more specific about your Location WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 4/13/2015, 8:16 pm

Great idea. Here is the website for OMAFRA, the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. Lots of good stuff:  http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/index.html
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/13/2015, 8:30 pm

Fred. Would you please post that in the Canada regional forum as well? That would be terrific.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Being more specific about your Location WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/16/2016, 11:54 pm

Bump

Lots of new members recently.  Just a reminder to help us know what your environment is like.  Very Happy

Sanderson wrote:  
I would like to take a moment here, and encourage both new and old members to be more specific with your Location under your Profile.  It really helps members to know your general location when asking a question, highlighting a new product you found, or just regular yacking about our gardens.

You don't have to post your home address or a Google Earth photo of your house!   Very Happy  TMI!  But, Zone 6b, or Deep South, or Really Cold Place are kind of vague. thinking   I debated whether to list Fresno, CA as my location.  Personal info out there is kind of scary.  But then I thought, "Maybe there are other members or future members in the Valley?"  Locations like your town and state, or 50 miles north of Memphis TN, or Tahacapi Mnts of CA, at least give folks an idea of your location and climate situation.  So, unless you are an undercover spy or AMW star, I want to personally encourage you to share your general location.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 3/17/2016, 12:43 am

I think I'm good with how mine is listed.  I have some tomatoes going!!  They are about 3 inches and have third set of leaves now.  Will post photos soon.   Very Happy
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2016, 3:47 am

Windmere, I bumped this primarily for all the new members. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweetmama 3/17/2016, 6:38 pm

Hello!  I'm back on forum after being absent for a year or so.  I moved recently to NE Ohio, near Chardon.  I know nothing about gardening that is specific to this area.  If you are nearby, tell me what you are doing this month.  I am just getting materials to build new beds.  It seem every time I get things just as I want them (beds built and arranged, soil mix is perfect, everything growing well)we move to another state! A timeline for planting here would be great if anyone cares to share.

Thanks,
Sweetmama
Sweetmama
Sweetmama

Female Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2016, 7:41 pm

Hi Sweetmama, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here It looks like you are on the eastern edge of the Northern and Central Midwest Region (N & C Midwest), close to the Middle Atlantic Region. Why don't you check in with that Region's March thread. "N & C Midwest: March 2016" It is visible in the Latest Topics column on the left.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/17/2016, 8:13 pm

Sweetmama wrote:Hello!  I'm back on forum after being absent for a year or so.  I moved recently to NE Ohio, near Chardon.  I know nothing about gardening that is specific to this area.  If you are nearby, tell me what you are doing this month.  I am just getting materials to build new beds.  It seem every time I get things just as I want them (beds built and arranged, soil mix is perfect, everything growing well)we move to another state! A timeline for planting here would be great if anyone cares to share.

Thanks,
Sweetmama

Hey Sweetmama! Welcome back! Come on over to N & C Midwest to see what we are up to! Glad to have ya! I am in northwest Ohio, but am traveling to Canton tomorrow for a swim meet!

Where were you before your move? Ohio has had a really mild winter, and early warmth...would love to hear your story!

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/18/2016, 9:42 am

Hi Sweetmama! Welcome back from Atlanta, GA! Glad you've returned and have a new garden.

I'm looking forward to reading of your new adventures...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down