Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
need specific advice on MM Toplef10need specific advice on MM 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

need specific advice on MM I22gcj10need specific advice on MM 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
need specific advice on MM Toplef10need specific advice on MM 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

need specific advice on MM I22gcj10need specific advice on MM 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

need specific advice on MM

4 posters

Go down

need specific advice on MM Empty need specific advice on MM

Post  danieggert 3/23/2023, 10:02 am

Hi all,

After several weeks, I have all of my compost and peat sifted, and the vermiculite is happy in its bag.

Tomorrow, Friday, I will be combining the three and putting into my beds to settle before planting in May,  I will be using the 5-gallon method of adding several buckets of each in a very large wheelbarrow, mixing thoroughly, and placing in my bed.  I have several questions to ask and would hope someone could answer each of the 3 of them specifically.  I will be babysitting spring break grandkids all next week and will not be home.  I want to be done with this part before the babysitting stint  so that I can concentrate on seed starting when I come back.

Thank you in advance for your time and  for always be there to offer advice

1.  Spring in Chicago, rain will be coming.  When I put my first layer of MM down, do I really need to water?  I don't mind doing it, but if the collective rain in the next month and a half will accomplish the same end, I would skip that step.  Again, I don't mind watering but I don't want to  make extra work for my self.

2.  I know that I purchased more than enough different compost to make the 12 CF I need.  When I look at the 2 containers holding the sifted compost, I don't know it I can get the 18 5-gallon buckets I need out of them.  I know that the compost is heavier than the peat and somewhat compresses itself.    When I fill my buckets, do I "fluff" the compost a bit  so it is not so dense in the buckets?

3. I have 2 - 4' x 8' raised beds I made 5 years ago.   One is going to be for veggies and the other for flowers.  According to the book, I need 6.5" of MM in each bed.  If I place tomorrow and it settles to less than that, I would assume I would need to add more.  So my question here is, should I use the bulk of my MM in the veggie garden (which is the most important to me) and save the rest for adding after settling?  I could make more MM later for the flowers

Dani from Burr Ridge
danieggert
danieggert

Female Posts : 54

Back to top Go down

need specific advice on MM Empty Re: need specific advice on MM

Post  OhioGardener 3/23/2023, 11:45 am

danieggert wrote:1.  Spring in Chicago, rain will be coming.  When I put my first layer of MM down, do I really need to water?  I don't mind doing it, but if the collective rain in the next month and a half will accomplish the same end, I would skip that step.  Again, I don't mind watering but I don't want to  make extra work for my self.

Yes.  Dry peat is/becomes hydrophobic and will repel water.  You do not want it to ever dry out once it is moistened. Fully moisten each layer as it is added to the bed. Otherwise the peat at the lower level will likely never become moistened.

2.  I know that I purchased more than enough different compost to make the 12 CF I need.  When I look at the 2 containers holding the sifted compost, I don't know it I can get the 18 5-gallon buckets I need out of them.  I know that the compost is heavier than the peat and somewhat compresses itself.    When I fill my buckets, do I "fluff" the compost a bit  so it is not so dense in the buckets?

No, only the peat needs to be fluffed.  Shovel the compost into the 5-gallon bucket as it is, pour the Vermiculite into the bucket right out of the bag, and shuffle the fluffed peat into the bucket. You'll have good measurements.

3. I have 2 - 4' x 8' raised beds I made 5 years ago.   One is going to be for veggies and the other for flowers.  According to the book, I need 6.5" of MM in each bed.  If I place tomorrow and it settles to less than that, I would assume I would need to add more.  So my question here is, should I use the bulk of my MM in the veggie garden (which is the most important to me) and save the rest for adding after settling?  I could make more MM later for the flowers

My preference, and my humble opinion is that flowers do not need MM, and it makes an expensive flower bed. If the bed will not be used for vegetables, there is no need to put MM in it.  That said, in all of my beds I interplant flowers with the vegetables, and they all use the same growth medium.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

donnainzone5 and plantoid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/23/2023, 6:43 pm

Flowers love well made MM , compared the colours of next door daffs when she had them was no chance against the vibrant colours of mine.  same with all the flowers both pretty ones and those on veg & fruits.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2023, 3:42 am

+1

What OG and Plantoid both said.

1. Wet each layer
2. Measure peat moss fluffed. Just naturally measure out the composts and vermiculite.
3. Prioritize: Use the MM in the veggie bed. But, flowers do love MM so maybe next year or in the fall, you fill the flower bed with MM also. That way you can mix and match veggies and cutting or color spot flowers.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down