Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 Toplef10How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 I22gcj10How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 Toplef10How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 I22gcj10How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How I Make Very Fast Compost

+15
momvet
plantoid
audrey.jeanne.roberts
vortex
has55
kristinz
Kelejan
Mikesgardn
Tilth
AtlantaMarie
sakooon
sanderson
Triciasgarden
Elizabeth
Razed Bed
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 Empty Re: How I Make Very Fast Compost

Post  vortex 5/26/2015, 4:53 pm

No problem. Not a fast process so not much to update with.
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 Empty New Batch Finished

Post  Razed Bed 5/26/2015, 10:42 pm

The batch of compost put together from our last big grass cutting (5/12/15) finished off enough to be used today as a side-dressing.  It took 13 days from start to finish, thanks to having four days above 90 degrees at the time it really needed to cook.

In comparison, one of our cold compost windrows is covered with potato plants.  I guess some rotten organic potatoes seeded because it was not hot enough, and the organic potatoes do not have seed preventive applied, so we will have a lot of free potatoes later this summer. 

When they go on sale, we are going to go purchase more 32-gallon trash cans and go with 100% quick, hot compost.  The cold compost obviously does not kill the seeds.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 6/3/2015, 4:07 pm

vortex wrote:Still turning. Three weeks will probably be a stretch, but we'll see how it goes.

Still planning on about six weeks, but even at that it is still a decent time.

Stillllllllllllllll going.

I'd say 98% of everything has broken down, save for the wheat straw. I'm continuing to tumble it every two days, and it's still pretty warm in there.
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 Empty Some like it fast, some slow . . . .

Post  crankyoldman 8/18/2015, 7:43 pm

Some people seem obsessed with making compost fast, while others seem to care not. After reading many books and articles about composting I determined that I should experiment to see what works best for me. The approach I have taken has been the never ending compost heap; I just keep adding to it and as a lot of the material finishes I sift the pile to get the finished material in to a storage container and let the rest continue to work. I add new material often, sometimes daily and turn the heap often, usually ever two to three days.

I have found that variety of material is more important than if a certain proportion of greens and browns are maintained. Preparing material to be added is also important so I use a 14 cup food processor to grind some things while a meat cleaver makes short work of other things such as corn cobs and stalks, avocado seeds, pineapple hulls and tops, mango seeds, etc. I add 20 to 100 pounds of new material weekly to the heap and I find that most of the material is not recognizable 24 to 36 hours after being added. The heap temp usually runs 130 to 140 degrees F.

This works well for me here in central Arizona.
crankyoldman
crankyoldman

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 8/18/2015, 10:10 pm

crankyoldman wrote:Some people seem obsessed with making compost fast, while others seem to care not. After reading many books and articles about composting I determined that I should experiment to see what works best for me. The approach I have taken has been the never ending compost heap; I just keep adding to it and as a lot of the material finishes I sift the pile to get the finished material in to a storage container and let the rest continue to work. I add new material often, sometimes daily and turn the heap often, usually ever two to three days.

I have found that variety of material is more important than if a certain proportion of greens and browns are maintained. Preparing material to be added is also important so I use a 14 cup food processor to grind some things while a meat cleaver makes short work of other things such as corn cobs and stalks, avocado seeds, pineapple hulls and tops, mango seeds, etc. I add 20 to 100 pounds of new material weekly to the heap and I find that most of the material is not recognizable 24 to 36 hours after being added. The heap temp usually runs 130 to 140 degrees F.

This works well for me here in central Arizona.

My way of doing compost, a never ending pile, I build one up, when its full I get about 15 five gallon buckets of horse or cow manure and start switching over to the other bin. Finished compost I toss over the side to screen when time permits..As far as shredding, I use a poor mans shredder and it works great. A razor sharp ice scraper in a 5 gal bucket will cut everything. Amazing how it heats up and shrinks just after the manure is added.
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 3 Shredd10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/19/2015, 4:45 pm

My neighbor has a single bin that he never turns. It's about six feet high, maybe four or five feet width and length, made of a tough wire wrapping around sturdy wooden posts. He puts all his smaller tree trimmings and leaves in there, as well as his garden waste. It usually gets to at least four feet high.

Every spring he scrapes aside the most recent stuff and digs his shovel into the bottom of the pile, which come out to many big buckets full of fully-composted stuff he hasn't done a thing to manipulate.

It's how he makes "very slow compost." I like his lazy way of thinking!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/19/2015, 6:08 pm

Marc, your neighbor is doing compost my way, sans bin. I just have a literal pile of yard and kitchen waste. I just put that stuff on there as it accumulates, and it does it's thing!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8801

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 8/20/2015, 9:37 am

Maybe I need to make another bin, great idea...make it, fill it..and leave it...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/20/2015, 9:35 pm

Honestly, Jimmy, it's a win-win. Maybe you have to wait, but, so easy.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8801

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3