Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Toplef10How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 I22gcj10How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Toplef10How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 I22gcj10How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How I Make Very Fast Compost

+15
momvet
plantoid
audrey.jeanne.roberts
vortex
has55
kristinz
Kelejan
Mikesgardn
Tilth
AtlantaMarie
sakooon
sanderson
Triciasgarden
Elizabeth
Razed Bed
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Empty Re: How I Make Very Fast Compost

Post  has55 5/7/2015, 9:39 am

sanderson wrote:Photos of your journey!
+1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Empty Excited over rubbish

Post  Razed Bed 5/7/2015, 5:58 pm

Only people like us would be waiting on pins and needles to hear how a bin to store scraps of garbage from our kitchens looks and works.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 5/7/2015, 8:09 pm

Razed Bed wrote:Only people like us would be waiting on pins and needles to hear how a bin to store scraps of garbage from our kitchens looks and works.
I always wish we had a "like" button for posts like yours, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/7/2015, 9:18 pm

Razed Bed wrote:Only people like us would be waiting on pins and needles to hear how a bin to store scraps of garbage from our kitchens looks and works.
Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/8/2015, 6:15 am

sanderson wrote:
Very Happy
+1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/10/2015, 6:43 pm

Off and running with the new tumbler.

I managed to get it put together Friday, but didn't get it into the yard and filled until today due to weather.

Here it is, mostly put together.
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Img_8310

And here is a look at the inside, once it was fully assembled.
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Img_6510

I knew it wasn't very big, but it's a little smaller than even I thought it would be. This could be good or bad, depending on someones needs. I managed to scrape together enough stuff to fill one entire side without much trouble. I wet it down, added a little bit of Jobe's, and it's off and cooking.

Greens consisted of coffee grounds, a few kitchen scraps, some plant cuttings, and some grass.
Browns consisted of leaves and straw mostly, with a little paper.

Back to the assembly phase.

It wasn't difficult to put it together. I suggest reading the directions all the way through first, and getting a feel for what you're going to be doing. Of course what you'll be doing is a lot of twisting, as there are going to be about 60 total bolt/nut combinations to put together. There are 6 on the legs/base, 2 that hold the axis bar to the base, and then each of the 8 sides of the tumbler has 7.

As I said, it wasn't bad, just a lot of wrist action.

It went together pretty easy, although a couple of the sides needed to have a helping pound from my hand to pop into place.

One thing to be careful of is to NOT over tighten the nuts on the bolts. They tighten very easily (I had a socket on the nut, screwdriver on the bolt) and I actually popped one on the base. I had one of the same size down in the shop, so no harm no foul. I will say that it didn't feel all that tight, and poof. So a good snug and you're in business.
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2015, 2:45 am

I like the interior baffles. They should help mix as you turn, like a washing machine agitator. Just a question, can you leave out the center divider to make one larger container? I'm really considering this puppy to supplement my 3' cubic compost bin. Even if just to make compost for the rest of the yard.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Empty That should heat up well

Post  Razed Bed 5/11/2015, 8:48 am

Put in some grass clippings to your mixture, and that tumbler should get hot enough to smoke a ham.  Now, that's a weird thought--using a compost bin as the offset heat source for smoked meats/fish.  All you need is 150 degrees.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/11/2015, 9:44 am

sanderson wrote:I like the interior baffles.  They should help mix as you turn, like a washing machine agitator.  Just a question, can you leave out the center divider to make one larger container?  I'm really considering this puppy to supplement my 3' cubic compost bin.  Even if just to make compost for the rest of the yard.

Yeah, the baffles were a nice touch. They're from the impressions on the outside where you can grab hold and turn it over. It was really well thought out on that front.

I would say that the baffle helps sturdy it up a bit, but not really. Even once it was put together it was still able to move easily, although it didn't move much because of how it's in there. Either way, it's more for separation than support, so I wouldn't think there would be a problem taking it out.

I think there are probably better long-term investments out there, but they are going to cost more. This one isn't leak proof, and when it rains you will some extra moisture. You will also most likely lose a little bit of dirt when you spin it around. Not a whole lot, but maybe a couple tablespoons full. It's just dirt coming out of the air vents and what not, but still that could add up over turning every 2 days for a month or two.

I think it will do the job though, and be worth the price.

FWIW, today (5/11/15) they have it through Amazon for $83, with free shipping. To find it, put "Yimby Tumbler Composter" in the search box on Amazon.

Razed Bed wrote:Put in some grass clippings to your mixture, and that tumbler should get hot enough to smoke a ham.  Now, that's a weird thought--using a compost bin as the offset heat source for smoked meats/fish.  All you need is 150 degrees.

Ah yes, nothing like grass fed, grass smoked ham at Christmas time. rofl
vortex
vortex

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2015, 1:37 pm

Just checked Amazon and the cheapest Yimby was $99 w/ free shipping.  Darn.  Maybe that supplier sold out.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/11/2015, 2:22 pm

Wow, that was fast. Maybe it was a weekend sale that's expired now or something. Crazy.
vortex
vortex

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/12/2015, 8:50 am

Been adding kitchen waste to this little tumbler since last fall, froze solid during the winter and is now working very nicely. I moved it to the garden area and will maintain it as is, adding to it as material is made.
I'd like to keep it in view  so as to help me gain a better understanding on composting.
I have learned one valuable lesson, do not let it get to wet or it won't work as it should.
Adding lots of kitchen waste gives off much moisture, I combat this by adding shredded leaves, straw and newspaper.
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Compos17
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Compos18
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Compos19
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/12/2015, 11:56 am

jimmy cee wrote:I have learned one valuable lesson, do not let it get to wet or it won't work as it should.

That's been my one true concern with the tumbler I purchased. Rain adding to the moisture level. I've thought about maybe draping a tarp oveit to keep out excess rain, but not sure yet.
vortex
vortex

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/12/2015, 12:52 pm

Jimmy, do you also have a compost cage? I'm thinking of the Yimby as a supplemental composter for flower beds. Someday I won't be able to turn the big piles and I want to be prepared.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/12/2015, 2:30 pm

vortex wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:I have learned one valuable lesson, do not let it get to wet or it won't work as it should.

That's been my one true concern with the tumbler I purchased. Rain adding to the moisture level. I've thought about maybe draping a tarp oveit to keep out excess rain, but not sure yet.
Tread carefully if thinking of draping a waterproof cover over the barrel .

Do it so as to not block off any of the air / decomposition gasses flow for that could also lead to a wet contents if they cannot escape offinto the atmosphere.

Perhaps a light tubular plastic frame covered in a light tarp and with places that you can tie it to the composter frame whilst the " hat "  is a few inches clear of the composter body .

17 months ago ago I wrapped my barrel composter nice & snug for winter to keep the rain out and forgot to vent off the moisture being released inside ..which resulted in a misreable soggy mess that took me ages to clear out.  The dead weight also deformed the barrel sides making it exceedingly hard work to try and rotate it on its rollers that had by early spring indented the sides by about five inches deep . 

The barrel has now been re purposed as a fly proof air dryer for curing meats  & salami etc.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/12/2015, 3:13 pm

Plantoid, Thank you for sharing the soggy mess story as a warning to us tumbler- beginners. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  momvet 5/12/2015, 5:02 pm

My first attempt at composting was a bust. I read everything (I think)  but I had bought a tumbler on Craigs List because DH was really against the idea.  (room,smell,flies?). I ended up sticking it up on the raised bed "from hell" - meaning nothing grows there, except roses..). I filled it with aged horse manure, some hay, grass clippings, and vegetable scraps, but stopped adding to it because I was told tumblers needed to have a load and just stop) I may have filled it too much because it was really hard to turn. Anyway, it never got "hot" and I was told to add fresh horse manure, but never did. Last week, I tumbled it and the load fell out (door wasn't closed, apparently). Anyway, it didn't look bad and I spread it over the hell bed. Now I can start fresh. Please tell me what to do. It occurs to me that this might belong in a different thread. Sorry.
momvet
momvet

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/12/2015, 11:08 pm

sanderson wrote:Jimmy, do you also have a compost cage?  I'm thinking of the Yimby as a supplemental composter for flower beds.  Someday I won't be able to turn the big piles and I want to be prepared.
I think you mean what  I call my piles ?
Yes, I have two, 4 X 4 X 3 foot high, a 1 foot space between I keep filled with coffee grinds..
I add fresh discarded groceries once a week and it's always cooking.
How I Make Very Fast Compost - Page 2 Compos23
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/12/2015, 11:10 pm

vortex wrote:

Try rotating tumbler where the openings are parallel to the ground
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/12/2015, 11:13 pm

momvet wrote:My first attempt at composting was a bust. I read everything (I think)  but I had bought a tumbler on Craigs List because DH was really against the idea.  (room,smell,flies?). I ended up sticking it up on the raised bed "from hell" - meaning nothing grows there, except roses..). I filled it with aged horse manure, some hay, grass clippings, and vegetable scraps, but stopped adding to it because I was told tumblers needed to have a load and just stop) I may have filled it too much because it was really hard to turn. Anyway, it never got "hot" and I was told to add fresh horse manure, but never did. Last week, I tumbled it and the load fell out (door wasn't closed, apparently). Anyway, it didn't look bad and I spread it over the hell bed. Now I can start fresh. Please tell me what to do. It occurs to me that this might belong in a different thread. Sorry.
Hard to turn ? don't try spinning it, turn it slowly. If you do that the material will mix much better.
It's easier also, once you get the feel, you'll be able to sense the inside turning.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/13/2015, 3:48 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Try rotating tumbler where the openings are parallel to the ground

That's the thing, there are openings everywhere that water can seep in. Then again, it also can seep out as well. It's very well ventilated, but that comes as a sacrifice on moisture control.

It may not be an issue, but it's something I'm keeping close watch on. I'm going to open it up tonight, and also give it its first active tumble.
vortex
vortex

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/14/2015, 8:00 am

vortex wrote:
That's the thing, there are openings everywhere that water can seep in. Then again, it also can seep out as well. It's very well ventilated, but that comes as a sacrifice on moisture control.

If thats the case, I would keep it under a shed/cover, however not cover it.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/18/2015, 10:28 am

So far it seems to be doing alright, even through the rain over the last few days.

Turned it for the second time yesterday, and will see how it's going tomorrow when I flip it around again.
vortex
vortex

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/26/2015, 12:26 pm

Still turning. Three weeks will probably be a stretch, but we'll see how it goes.

Still planning on about six weeks, but even at that it is still a decent time.
vortex
vortex

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/26/2015, 2:30 pm

Thanks for the update.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator