Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:11 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:52 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/20/2015, 7:07 am

CapeCoddess wrote:SR, you grew those beautiful patty pans???  THEY are GORgeous!  Did you grow hat watermelon, too?

Ate my first tomato of the season tonight - a cherry called "Sweetie".  I love you
CC

Yes, CC, I grew the patty pans, but the watermelon came from Krogers!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8809

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  CitizenKate 7/20/2015, 11:09 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:SR, you grew those beautiful patty pans???  THEY are GORgeous!
+1 - those look fabulous!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Empty What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  GloriaG 7/21/2015, 11:31 am

Well - we've had so much trouble with the weather this year, between the excessive spring rain and now very high temperatures, that I've been planting "extra" of everything - just to make sure some survive.

I guess cantaloupes REALLY LIKE our odd weather because I've picked six (5-6 pounder's) in the last three days and there are another 15-20 still on the vine ripening.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Cantal10

Our neighbors are loving it!!!

Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/21/2015, 11:35 am

Wow, that is some nice cantaloupe.  Wish I had some of those.  Mine are just not in bloom.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/21/2015, 1:08 pm

GloriaG wrote:Well - we've had so much trouble with the weather this year, between the excessive spring rain and now very high temperatures, that I've been planting "extra" of everything - just to make sure some survive.

I guess cantaloupes REALLY LIKE our odd weather because I've picked six (5-6 pounder's) in the last three days and there are another 15-20 still on the vine ripening.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Cantal10

Our neighbors are loving it!!!

Gloria

Six of them??? Shocked I wish I was your neighbor.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/21/2015, 3:14 pm

Me too! Those can get very expensive around here when you can find them at all. And I love those so much. I can easily eat half of one at a time just by itself, and also like it chopped into salads.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3637

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Empty what are you eating from your garden?

Post  kauairosina 7/21/2015, 8:22 pm

Those melons look so good I can almost smell them!!
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/25/2015, 11:23 am

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Image23

Here is what I just came inside with! My first mess of Kentucky Wonder pole beans, a patty pan, some Sungold cherry tomatoes. and some swiss chard! I am going to share with my brother and his family! Off to the Lake!

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2015, 11:47 am

Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21605

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 7/25/2015, 10:15 pm

Looks great, SR!   What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 3170584802
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 7/25/2015, 10:28 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
quiltbea wrote:Hey, Kate, please post your recipe for making those pickles.  I want to be ready when mine start growing.  They are just short vines here in Maine right now.
The only "recipe" I've used for the brine to make dill pickles so far is Ball's kosher dill pickle mix, and I'm pretty happy with it.
I have to retract this.  I just discovered that Ball is no longer carrying this pickle seasoning mix.   Sad  Funny young store cashier said, "You may have been the only one buying it."  Nice to feel like the odd one out, but then again, I may have actually chosen that course.

Anyway, back to exploration mode.  I tried some Mrs. Wages Polish Dill mix - wonderful flavor, but mushy pickles.  Evidently that mix is not intended for water bath canning - my bad.  So now I really want to can pickles "from scratch", and have them come out crackling with crispness!

Tonight I've got a batch of pickle cukes soaking in some pickling lime.  And I found what looks like a good recipe for Polish dills.  At least the reviews are glowing.  If they turn out as good as they sound, I'll post the recipe.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/26/2015, 12:13 am

CitizenKate wrote:
CitizenKate wrote:
quiltbea wrote:Hey, Kate, please post your recipe for making those pickles.  I want to be ready when mine start growing.  They are just short vines here in Maine right now.
The only "recipe" I've used for the brine to make dill pickles so far is Ball's kosher dill pickle mix, and I'm pretty happy with it.
I have to retract this.  I just discovered that Ball is no longer carrying this pickle seasoning mix.   Sad  Funny young store cashier said, "You may have been the only one buying it."  Nice to feel like the odd one out, but then again, I may have actually chosen that course.

Anyway, back to exploration mode.  I tried some Mrs. Wages Polish Dill mix - wonderful flavor, but mushy pickles.  Evidently that mix is not intended for water bath canning - my bad.  So now I really want to can pickles "from scratch", and have them come out crackling with crispness!

Tonight I've got a batch of pickle cukes soaking in some pickling lime.  And I found what looks like a good recipe for Polish dills.  At least the reviews are glowing.  If they turn out as good as they sound, I'll post the recipe.

Wow, Kate I didn't plant any cukes this summer...what cultivars are the best? I think I once planted Burpees burpless? Is that right? It has been since I did the original SFG that I ever did cucumbers.......miss them!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 7/26/2015, 12:16 pm

Which ones are the best is a question I am exploring myself.  I am just trying cucumbers for the first time this year.

For my garden this year, I chose Burpee's Picklebush.  It's got a more compact, bushy growing habit that works pretty well in a SFG scenario.  I planted 4 of them, one to a square, in adjacent squares, and that seems to be about the right spacing for them.  They're very trouble-free plants, no problems so far with diseases or pests.  However, the bees LOVE the blossoms on this plant.  So far, I've gotten enough cucumbers to can several small batches of them - 3-4 pints to a batch, and they are very tasty.

I'll grow these again next year, except try to get them started earlier in the growing season.  The heat is slowing them down a bit.  I'll also probably give them some kind of cage or other structure to encourage them to grow more upward, as they do tend to spread out along the ground.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/26/2015, 12:43 pm

CitizenKate wrote:Which ones are the best is a question I am exploring myself.  I am just trying cucumbers for the first time this year.

For my garden this year, I chose Burpee's Picklebush.  It's got a more compact, bushy growing habit that works pretty well in a SFG scenario.  I planted 4 of them, one to a square, in adjacent squares, and that seems to be about the right spacing for them.  They're very trouble-free plants, no problems so far with diseases or pests.  However, the bees LOVE the blossoms on this plant.  So far, I've gotten enough cucumbers to can several small batches of them - 3-4 pints to a batch, and they are very tasty.

I'll grow these again next year, except try to get them started earlier in the growing season.  The heat is slowing them down a bit.  I'll also probably give them some kind of cage or other structure to encourage them to grow more upward, as they do tend to spread out along the ground.
These Burpees Picklebush cukes sound great. And if the heat slows them down then they'd love my house today - I think we're at a high of 63. I wonder if the Picklebush is powdery mildew resistant? I'll have to look that up because that's been my downfall with cucumbers so I've chosen varieties that are resistant. 
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/26/2015, 8:50 pm

Royal burgundy beans, a few wax beans, and some chocolate cherry tomatoes.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Empty What are Hawaii folks harvesting?

Post  kauairosina 7/26/2015, 9:49 pm

Red okra, those big purple eggplants whose name escapes me, long purple and white eggplant, all the foregoing tossed in parmesan cheese and olive oil and pepper and grilled on the barbee, some aspragus, some lettuce, some mesclun, some chard some kale, some beets (that Susan has pickled), some carrots.

We are eating very well from the garden, sometimes too much to deal with.  

Susan has steamed excess kale for veggies for the dogs.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/9/2015, 10:42 am

https://servimg.com/view/19257783/16
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/9/2015, 10:46 am

https://servimg.com/view/19257783/17

And the Yukon Gold look like Yukon black, with Mel's Mix all over them!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/18/2015, 5:16 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 11 Dscn5510

Mixture of scarlet emperor runner beans(seeds and pods) and cow peas(seeds only), along with some sausage.  Boiled the beans for five minutes and it seemed they were soft enough.  So then I stirred them into some sausage sauteed in olive oil.  The sausage gave the beans all the flavor boost they might have needed.

Very nice.  I'm surprised the pods held their color so well.  

The sausage is the part I didn't grow. Very Happy
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/18/2015, 5:48 pm

For lunch out the green house thin sliced tomatoes ...... on top of home made crusty bread rolls smothered in home made two cheese filling mixed with our out the garden fine chopped red onion then mixed in some some  salad cream plus mayo.
All mixed up as a sandwich / roll filling with some super thin shredded ham to finish it off.
Plus an ice cold  bottle of alcohol free beer for me .

For evening meal we had smoked & plain fish in a puff pastry parcel , accompanied home grown french runner beans , yellow courgette ( new to us this year , they taste much better than any of the dark green ones we've been eating this last 20 years) & some shop brought dutch white ball cabbage .
A home made white parsley ( out the garden ) sauce was poured over the beans and some of the pastry .
T'was a lovely meal indeed.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/18/2015, 5:53 pm

Yum!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/18/2015, 8:51 pm

Fortex pole beans with ham hock, silver queen corn, tomatoes and cucs (with a hamburger on the side).
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/18/2015, 9:24 pm

I love Fortex beans!  Unfortunately, many of the seeds I planted this year either didn't germinate, or were devoured by birds.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2667

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 8/19/2015, 10:32 am

Kohrabi and Carrots made this way:

Kohlrabi and Carrots Recipe

And the first eggplant - fried like my Mom did.

Still have some left over and will enjoy this for today's lunch.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/20/2015, 7:00 am

While picking my first tomatoes I saw that I still had a few green beans trying to grow.  I picked the handful of ready beans and steamed them in the nuker with garlic, dill, and butter.  NUM, NUM!  Great snack!!!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next