Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Moving compost pile Toplef10Moving compost pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Moving compost pile I22gcj10Moving compost pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Moving compost pile Toplef10Moving compost pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Moving compost pile I22gcj10Moving compost pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Moving compost pile

+2
Marc Iverson
jimmy cee
6 posters

Go down

Moving compost pile Empty Moving compost pile

Post  jimmy cee 6/26/2014, 11:15 pm

Moving compost pile Empty 
I just today finished up emptying 1 of my compost piles, after screening it sure was nice. From last fall I think I now have enough to last the remainder of this year.
The pile I am moving was started in early winter and may be partially complete.

Before I started moving from a packed bin of everything under the sun, including fresh cow, horse manure and loads of discarded veggies, 300lbs of coffee grinds, heck I may even have the kitchen sink in there.
Thought I'd see what you are thinking I should be doing., once finished moving this pile will sit and not be disturbed.Moving compost pile Jessic12
The above empty area is to be filled with material from the bottom image
Moving compost pile Jessic13
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Moving compost pile Empty Re: Moving compost pile

Post  Marc Iverson 6/27/2014, 12:07 am

I think you should be picking whatever's growing in the second pile! Very Happy
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3637

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/27/2014, 9:12 am

Marc
That may be a good idea, if your meaning remove what's finished.
I also have about 10 bags of leaves left from last fall to add, sorry to say my supply of discarded veggies from my local grocery store has ceased.
I'll need to make another cubicle just for finished compost...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/27/2014, 10:57 am

What?!?  They cut you off?  What excuse did they give?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2669

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/27/2014, 1:35 pm

Yesterday I finished screening the contents of my rolling-bin and my square black container that you fill from the top and take from a door near the ground. 
The rolling bin produced lovely black stuff that was easy to screen and I have stashed that in black garbage bags for topping up my beds. Some worms there were transferred for later homing in one of my Wiggler Hiltons.
The square black container was quite an education of the best habitat for worms. 
The upper third was teeming with them and the compost was moist and easy to screen. Those worms also transferred to a temporary home. I cleared the material from the top of the container, and as I worked down I continued to get beautiful compost full of worm castings.  All that I stored in green garbage bags. Then lower still I noticed that the compost was not completely finished and lower down still, it seemed to be just leaf mold.  That portion is stored in orange bags. The bottom contained many sticks and leaves that obviously weren't even beginning to compost. That lot I put on my developing BTE garden portion ready to be covered with wood chips.
I still have one 4x4x2 box to sort out.  It is lovely not to have to rely any more on store-purchased bags as I know what is in my compost. It has taken me about four years to get to this position of self-suficentiency and for that I am very happy. 
Incidently, the worms survived very well during the winter in all three kinds of containers in spite of appearing to be frozen solid. There was enough biomass for the worms to migrate to in the centre and in the spring to go out and multiply.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6009

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/27/2014, 2:52 pm

Kelejan, Thank you for sharing.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21619

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/27/2014, 8:40 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:What?!?  They cut you off?  What excuse did they give?
The one fellow who was going the extra mile for me lost his license and worked there till he got it back.
The produce mgr is a sourpuss who uses all kinds of excuses not to accommodate me with the discarded material.
I could go to the owner as I know who he is and my son went to school with him, however, the sourpuss needs his job, he is the mgr, so I'll leave it at that.
I go in every once and a while and smile, good day, maybe some sweetness will come out of it, I'll not hold my breath.
That fella who was providing me the goodies was a gem, smiling all the time, just a robust guy and I was happy to see him get back to his profession.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/27/2014, 8:47 pm

That's a bummer that you lost that source. Do you think you might be able to find somewhere else to ask them to do the same thing?

Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/27/2014, 8:48 pm

Kelejan wrote:Yesterday I finished screening the contents of my rolling-bin and my square black container that you fill from the top and take from a door near the ground. 
The rolling bin produced lovely black stuff that was easy to screen and I have stashed that in black garbage bags for topping up my beds. Some worms there were transferred for later homing in one of my Wiggler Hiltons.
The square black container was quite an education of the best habitat for worms. 
The upper third was teeming with them and the compost was moist and easy to screen. Those worms also transferred to a temporary home. I cleared the material from the top of the container, and as I worked down I continued to get beautiful compost full of worm castings.  All that I stored in green garbage bags. Then lower still I noticed that the compost was not completely finished and lower down still, it seemed to be just leaf mold.  That portion is stored in orange bags. The bottom contained many sticks and leaves that obviously weren't even beginning to compost. That lot I put on my developing BTE garden portion ready to be covered with wood chips.
I still have one 4x4x2 box to sort out.  It is lovely not to have to rely any more on store-purchased bags as I know what is in my compost. It has taken me about four years to get to this position of self-suficentiency and for that I am very happy. 
Incidently, the worms survived very well during the winter in all three kinds of containers in spite of appearing to be frozen solid. There was enough biomass for the worms to migrate to in the centre and in the spring to go out and multiply.
 kelejan
isnt it great doing your own compost ? I love it, the work, satisfaction and all that comes with it.
Even my tumbler did wonderful this past winter and spring, it did turn out to be a clump, however it was full of worms and with more browns that I should have added (knowingly) it would have been great..
A tip for those with tumblers, put in more browns than you think !!
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/27/2014, 8:52 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:That's a bummer that you lost that source.  Do you think you might be able to find somewhere else to ask them to do the same thing?

I've been looking, a few other markets have contracts for their discarded produce, pig farms especially.
I'll be happy with my horse,and cow manure now with what else I can gather up.  Right now I have enough for 2 years, also our local recycle center offers some great stuff in the spring.
I picked up 24 five gallon buckets this year and last...a small amount of add ons and it does fantastic.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/28/2014, 2:10 am

Jimmy, How did you preserve 24 buckets of produce through out the year until it was time to build a pile?  Or do you just add to a pile until it's large enough and then start another?  I picked up over three 5-gallon buckets of produce tonight from the Farmer's Market.  I hope to get some horse manure tomorrow so I can build my 4th compost pile.  Composting is addictive.   Shocked

Just looked at your photo again. It looks like you build a pile until full and then start on another.

Last edited by sanderson on 6/28/2014, 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/28/2014, 5:41 pm

Sanderson
The 24 buckets was the compost I picked up at the recycle center, I just covered it till I screened it.
Now that discarded produce...wowwwww, was that ever a delight.
I would pick up 3-4 boxes twice a week, everything imaginable.
I chopped it all with a sharpened ice scraper, added it as I got it. thats what is in the pile I am moving.
All that + horse and cow manure......also about 500 lbs of starbucks coffee grinds.
Yep, composting is quite addictive, at first I was becoming to engrossed with all the formulas, do things right, layer, etc etc. I gave up on it, now I just try to add what I can when it suits me, I turn it when I can, poke a little, water and let nature do the rest.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/28/2014, 5:43 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Sanderson
The 24 buckets was the compost I picked up at the recycle center, I just covered it till I screened it.
Now that discarded produce...wowwwww, was that ever a delight.
I would pick up 3-4 boxes twice a week, everything imaginable.
This went on for about 6-7 months. All that fizzled down to what you see.
I chopped it all with a sharpened ice scraper, added it as I got it. thats what is in the pile I am moving.
All that + horse and cow manure......also about 500 lbs of starbucks coffee grinds.
Yep, composting is quite addictive, at first I was becoming to engrossed with all the formulas, do things right, layer, etc etc. I gave up on it, now I just try to add what I can when it suits me, I turn it when I can, poke a little, water and let nature do the rest.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/28/2014, 6:30 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Sanderson

---------
You are preaching to the choir, Jimmy. Once you get those wonderful results you are hooked for life.  I am glad that you are no longer too obsessive and getting a bit more laid back about the process. I have learned to take what comes and do what I can and be happy about it. After all, Mother Nature does exactly the same thing, but I feel we can help her along a little if we can add things that are not avaialble to her at the time.

This morning I was able to cut down a pile of comfrey leaves and stalks,  and although it is pouring with rain right now, I am going to sit under my car porch and cut them down so that I maybe make comfrey tea with them or use them as a mulch. The wonderful thing about getting them is that they are about two minutes walk down the road and there is this comfrey growing is on city property. There are about six to seven enormous plants and I have collected about half a plant so far that took up all the room in my shopping trolley.
I only learned about comfrey a few weeks ago on this forum and these plants have been there for several years.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/28/2014, 7:00 pm

Jimmy, try camps and restaurants. The guy next door to me works at a summer camp and he brings me home all his peelings and leftover/excess fruits and veggies daily. Today I got four bucket loads. Kelejan, thank you for mentioning the comfrey. Mine is growing right next to my compost pile and I keep forgetting that I can use it for more than just a healing herb.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/28/2014, 8:45 pm

Comfrey sounds interesting, I may have it growing all over here
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/28/2014, 10:36 pm

How nice to have comfrey nearby!

I just have a single leaf planted in a small pot that I've been growing for months. It hasn't done anything, but it hasn't died either. Now that the weather is warmer, I've put it out back in a shady spot, and it seems to look a little better. If it survives, I'll plant bits and pieces of it out back in the wild part of the hills behind us so as to get a regular supply.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/29/2014, 2:21 am

Marc, these comfrey bushes are now about as tall as me, five feet and very large and impressive. For some strange reason they are all in a line as though they were deliberately planted that way. About five years ago that portion of the roadside was dug up and lines of some kind buried and some telephone poles lay there for a couple of years and perhaps the seed were sown then?   I started noticing these plants and wondered what they were.  The last two years they started being very noticeble then as I said someone mentioned comfrey for medicine, mulching and compost heaps, I looked in the Internet for a picture and recognized them at once. I wear gloves when handling them.
Incidently, when the sun was shining hot a couple of days ago, the comfrey was flowering and the bees were really buzzing around. That is why I will not strip the comfrey too much. Gotta leave something for the little guys that is not pesticide sprayed.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/29/2014, 1:34 pm

I picked up 50 gallons of culls from the Farmer's Markets Friday night and Saturday morning. The great thing about FM produce when the weather is hot, is that it is picked ripe and starts breaking down and fermenting in the buckets within hours. I start off chopping and end up squishing as I'm getting it ready for the new compost pile to be built today. I have a box of bruised peaches that I may use to make some jam.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/29/2014, 3:09 pm

Kelejan, I had no idea they get that high. I got my leaf from a long-overgrown bed in a neglected school garden, and it was about a foot and a half high. Well, good news then -- more comfrey, if my terrible soil around here allows it.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down