Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Moving my compost bin Toplef10Moving my compost bin 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Moving my compost bin I22gcj10Moving my compost bin 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Moving my compost bin Toplef10Moving my compost bin 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Moving my compost bin I22gcj10Moving my compost bin 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Moving my compost bin

+7
trukrebew
Square Jo
HouseofWool
Kelejan
WardinWake
Furbalsmom
altagarden
11 posters

Go down

Moving my compost bin Empty Moving my compost bin

Post  altagarden 5/8/2011, 10:26 am

I have one of those black barrel composters and after two years it has done nothing for me. No compost. I am thinking about moving it in hopes of improving the situation. It is on the north side of a fence, in our alley, and too far away to reach with a hose for wetting. Any tips on location or helping it compost faster? I turn it, I've added soil and bone & blood meal, I've left the lid off when it rains. We have warm summers and long cold winters. (I don't add compost material in the winter. Too much snow to trudge through)
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Moving my compost bin Empty Re: Moving my compost bin

Post  Furbalsmom 5/8/2011, 3:48 pm

Compost happens, but it does need to be consistantly moist, not wet. If you can't reach the bin with your hose, can you at least take a bucket of water to it, when needed? If it gets too wet, you can always add dry ingredients like shredded paper or chopped straw.

If the bin is on the North side of the fence, does that mean it is shaded by the fence and does not get much sun at all?

My compost pile is located near a big tree so has partial sun and partial shade during the day. I fed it green trimmings from the kitchen and healthy chopped up plant debris from the garden, along with shredded paper, dried grass, coffee grounds and egg shells. The pile did not get turned more than 6 times during last summer and fall, but this spring I had great compost.

Hope this helps.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/8/2011, 9:50 pm

altagarden wrote:I have one of those black barrel composters and after two years it has done nothing for me. No compost. I am thinking about moving it in hopes of improving the situation. It is on the north side of a fence, in our alley, and too far away to reach with a hose for wetting. Any tips on location or helping it compost faster? I turn it, I've added soil and bone & blood meal, I've left the lid off when it rains. We have warm summers and long cold winters. (I don't add compost material in the winter. Too much snow to trudge through)

Altgarden:

It would appear that the location of a compost pile (bin) is not a big issue. Even in very cold weather a properly balanced (green/brown mix) and the right amount of moisture will produce compost. To check for proper moisture content reach into the middle of the bin and pull out a handful and give it a squeeze. If a few drops of water come out you are in the ball park. Too much moisture will cause the compost to become "Swampy" and too little will not allow the compost to heat up.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  altagarden 5/19/2011, 12:12 am

Thanks for the help. I won't move it if that doesn't make a difference, but I will dump a bucket of water on it every time I go out there. I did give it a good turn and noticed that there is about 10 inches of almost compost at the very bottom so that is a good sign. I will keep it up and hopefully use the compost next year.
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/9/2011, 12:56 pm

I have one of those black plastic turntable compost thingies.

Today I was thinking of sifting some of the contents so that I would have compost ready for when I replant some of my squares.

So I checked it and find that it has hundreds of worms in it, all wriggling away like mad, seeing as I turned it before I opened the lid.

So what do I do now? Sift it and pick out the worms to return to my main compost pile or add the worms to my squares? Or leave it until the activity has died down which I assume would happen when the worms run out of food?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 7/9/2011, 7:54 pm

I would just sift and let the worms end up where they will. They aren't bad for your garden and are beneficial to the compost.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  Square Jo 7/10/2011, 11:39 am

I think I have one of the same black barrel compost thingy that you do, and I find plain simple piles to be far better and easier than the barrel. I just add shredded paper (mulched leaves are great too) whenever kitchen scraps and/or grass clippings are added. when I add scraps etc… I take my compost fork and get inside the pile, put down the scraps, cover them with shredded newspaper and then cover the whole thing with the compost that I took off the top. once in a while I shower it with the hose and turn it. Sometimes I add an accelerator. It is amazing to watch how much it shrinks after a big rain! As long as your kitchen scraps are covered , no varmits will get to them!
Square Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/10/2011, 11:54 am

I am beginning to realise why the local nursery sold me this compost barrel.

Even though I only half filled it, it is hard to turn as my arms are not quite long enough to comfortably reach the slots where one's fingers go. It does not have a handle to crank. I do much better with my 4x4 wood piles.

Other disadvantage is that the barrel is sitting on grass so that area is hard to keep neat.

I am thinking I will sift what I can, and then put the rest on my main pile and then locate the barrel on my back deck near the house so that during the winter I can open the door and toss in the kitchen scraps as my big compost piles will be under several feet of snow (at times).
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 7/11/2011, 1:05 am

Altagarden, I think I have the same thing. It's called the Earth Machine. For various reasons, I've ended up moving mine almost every year for the last 4 years. Mostly within the same area of the yard. It only gets about 5-6 hours of full sun each day, the same as my garden. Sad But I've always been able to get good compost out. Smile
I don't water it much. If I know we're getting a few days of rain, I'll leave the top off. Every once in a while I'll empty my dehumidifier bucket into it, when I remember. I figure the kitchen scraps (especially melon rinds/guts) and the occasional grass clippings add enough moisture. I always top it off with a some handfuls of dried leaves saved from last fall.
Actually, moving that bin is the best thing you can do. Because it is so small at the top (only as wide as a trash can), and everything settles into the lower half no matter how much I put into it, turning the contents is not easy. I use a shovel and scoop from one side to the other and then back again. But I can never turn the bottom or sides effectively. However, each time I've moved the Earth Machine, I've been able to literally turn the entire pile over.
I say move the Earth!
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 7/11/2011, 7:49 pm

I too find that my "normal" compost pile works a lot better than my tumbler.

One other thing I discovered is used coffee grounds. Check with local coffee shops and see if you can get some. Those UCGs have really made my pile heat up. I've been sitting near 150* for weeks.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Moving my compost bin Empty Coffee Grounds

Post  waynegossman 7/15/2011, 12:40 am

I have started stopping by the local coffee shop on my way home from work. They put out a bag of coffee grounds that is so big I can barely put it in my car. I have been told it counts as "green" compost material and it is warm and moist already. (I know the warmth does not make a real difference to the pile, but it has psychological impact to me. The moisture, though, makes the whole pile nice and damp.)
waynegossman

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/15/2011, 7:01 am

waynegossman wrote:I have started stopping by the local coffee shop on my way home from work. They put out a bag of coffee grounds that is so big I can barely put it in my car. I have been told it counts as "green" compost material and it is warm and moist already. (I know the warmth does not make a real difference to the pile, but it has psychological impact to me. The moisture, though, makes the whole pile nice and damp.)
Oh, but the warmth WILL make a difference, it actually makes all the difference in how accelerated the composting process is. The hotter the pile, the faster you have finished compost and the fewer weed seeds you will have in the end. Hooray for coffee grounds!!!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  teamhillbilly 8/7/2011, 10:05 am

waynegossman wrote:I have started stopping by the local coffee shop on my way home from work. They put out a bag of coffee grounds that is so big I can barely put it in my car. I have been told it counts as "green" compost material and it is warm and moist already. (I know the warmth does not make a real difference to the pile, but it has psychological impact to me. The moisture, though, makes the whole pile nice and damp.)
I would count coffee as a brown part,try feeding that to so red worms you have a goldmine in the shop will keep saving use grounds for you;)
teamhillbilly

Male Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/7/2011, 11:48 am

teamhillbilly wrote:
I would count coffee as a brown part,try feeding that to so red worms you have a goldmine in the shop will keep saving use grounds for you;)
Nice find Wayne! Despite the color, my coffee grounds are classified as green because of their nitrogen content. LOVE 'EM!!! i use them as a mulch for the hostas, which go gangbusters. What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Moving my compost bin WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down