Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? Toplef10What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? I22gcj10What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? Toplef10What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? I22gcj10What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps?

+3
Patty from Yorktown
walshevak
rabbithutch
7 posters

Go down

What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? Empty What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps?

Post  rabbithutch 5/19/2014, 12:15 pm

OK, I got into this compost thing more deeply than I have in a while.  I bought the little 2 gallon plastic pail for kitchen wastes.  It worked great for weeks but it seems the little gnats/flies (I've always heard them called sewer flies) have found their way inside.  Now I cannot open the bucket inside lest hundreds of the little buggers (no pun intended) fly out to infest the house.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  I'm reluctant to apply petro-chemical pesticides for obvious reasons.  Anyone know of an home grown, non-toxic solution to the problem?

TIA
 What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? 3170584802
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? Empty Re: What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps?

Post  walshevak 5/19/2014, 6:39 pm

http://www.gardeners.com/Fly-Traps-Ceramic/37-712,default,pd.html?start=7&q=kitchen%20compost%20crock

Here is one suggestion.  I'm sure there are others.  I think Tanglefoot makes a version and also a sticky brush on substance for use with squares of thick paper (cardboard)
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? Empty Re: What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps?

Post  Patty from Yorktown 5/20/2014, 7:23 am

Good Morning,

An easy way to trap fruit flies is to use a small bowl or glass of apple cider vinegar. Can you clean out your container and start again? Leaving a few pieces of newspaper on top is also supposed to help.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 5/20/2014, 7:27 am

Thank you, Eva and Patty!

I already use apple cider vinegar is a small bowl covered with Saran wrap with a small hole in the top.  It works, but the number of flies in the compost pail is overwhelming.

I'm thinking that I'll put some household ammonia mixed with water in a spray bottle and give that a try directly into the pail.  Ammonia should just add nitrogen to the compost which should be beneficial.

Thank you again.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/20/2014, 7:32 am

Much Smaller container.  Empty more often.     sfg smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/20/2014, 9:38 am

Keep the lid closed tightly and empty the bucket daily. It is my understanding most fruit fly populations emerge from the food/fruit rinds, but any in the area will quickly flock to any fermenting thing.

http://insects.about.com/od/insectssociety/qt/Where-Do-Fruit-Flies-Come-From.htm

http://entoweb.okstate.edu/ddd/insects/fruitflies.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What Do You Do About Sewer Flies in the Compost Scraps? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 5/20/2014, 9:48 am

I have kept the container tightly closed.  It has a charcoal filter made from material like ScotchBrite scouring pads that allows air to enter.  I have not emptied the pail daily but it appears that I shall have to do so.

I'm still going to try spritzing with household ammonia.  That's what I used to use in my kill jars when I was doing insect collections for biology class . . .   a million and a half years ago.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/20/2014, 11:21 am

If these are fruit flies, micro wave the fruit before you put it in the compost container.  My sister is sailing around the world and getting lots of local fruit.  She says the best thing to do is to micro wave the fruit.  Haven't tried it myself as I put the fruit in the compost bin the following day.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/20/2014, 1:15 pm

we have this too sometimes. I just take the bin outside, and take the lid off for a little while, They usually just fly off, and I'm good for a few more days....
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down