Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
onion question Toplef10onion question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

onion question I22gcj10onion question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
onion question Toplef10onion question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

onion question I22gcj10onion question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

onion question

+10
audrey.jeanne.roberts
manda99
Marc Iverson
yolos
camprn
FamilyGardening
GloriaG
jmsieglaff
southern gardener
has55
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

onion question Empty onion question

Post  has55 4/22/2014, 1:46 pm

I planted slip onion this fall hope for bulbs this spring. I see some of my onion have develop a nodule on a top stem. Can someone tell me what's going on? I learning how to grow them. Is there something else I should have done to get bulbs?

onion question Img_0325
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

onion question Empty Re: onion question

Post  southern gardener 4/22/2014, 1:51 pm

hass, they look like seed "pods" I think they're called. Your onions are making seeds. Do you know if you planted long/short day onions, and what "zone" you're in? I just found out I planted the WRONG onions back in November!! They were labeled incorrectly!! We are in a "short day" area, and the onions were long day, so we aren't getting bulbs Sad
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 4/22/2014, 2:07 pm

Those are seed stalks.  Cut those seed stalks off as far down on the stem as you can.  In my experience any onion that goes to seed will not keep very well--so be sure to use those first.  Are your onions bulbing?  I have occasional plants that go to seed, but for me, by then they are usually bulbed a decent amount.  If not, someone else might be able to comment on if they will bulb up or not.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 252

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 4/22/2014, 3:16 pm

Hi Austin,

My onions are also going to seed.  I planted mostly my own sets from last years seed.  They are definitely a short-day variety suitable for our area.  

I know that onions are a two-year crop.  They need the cold-hot-cold-hot changes to bulb up.   And I've begun to wonder if it's our crazy weather this winter.   We had shorts weather for several weeks in February.... then we went back down below freezing and had a record-breaking freeze on April 14.  Now we're in the 80's again.
Maybe the onions were confused by the drastic temperature shifts. 

I've cut all the seed stalks off but, I'm also not sure the onions that have gone to seed will save.  I'm going to dry them very well and try.

Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/22/2014, 5:53 pm

hi gloria, thank you for the reply. Yes the weather has been a roller coaster ride. I have not cut the seed tops off yet as you can see from the picture, but was thinking about it. So are you saying they may continued to try enlarging into a large bulb if I just cut the seed stalk off or I need to pull those plants out?
Austin
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 4/22/2014, 11:52 pm

Austin,

I would start by cutting the seed head off. 
If you need onions at home, use those first, but otherwise just let them fill out.
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/23/2014, 12:32 am

thank you
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/23/2014, 1:20 am

please keep us posted on how your onions turn out after you cut off the seed part....as we too get this problem, and didn't know that cutting off the seed part would help them to bulb up  Very Happy by sharing this is how we all learn  study  so thank you so much for the question and picture!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2422

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/23/2014, 6:41 am

FYI, Onions, like many alliums, are  biennial so when choosing onion starts (mini bulbs) choose the small ones to plant. These will be less likely to go to bloom. Harvest the ones that have put up the flower spike as from here on out the will get soft. They are not good candidates for storage.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

onion question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/23/2014, 9:48 am

camprn. do I need to harvest all of them at once or as we need them? 
how long do does it take for them to get soft?
 Do I leave the seed head on and allow it to bloom? 
Or will it cause the others to start blooming?
Last question-could you clarify the word  "biennial" as it pertains to the onion family.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/23/2014, 10:04 am

has55 wrote:camprn. do I need to harvest all of them at once or as we need them? 
how long do does it take for them to get soft?
 Do I leave the seed head on and allow it to bloom? 
Or will it cause the others to start blooming?
Last question-could you clarify the word  "biennial" as it pertains to the onion family.
I would clip all the buds and leave the stalks so you can tell which ones need to come out first. Just because one in the bed is budding doesn't mean they all will. Budding is not the result of a contagion.
Biennial <~~~ click for more info.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

onion question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/23/2014, 12:20 pm

Taken from the University of Clemson fact sheet on growing onion, leek, shallot & garlic. = "Bolting: Onions will bolt (produce a flower stalk) if exposed to a prolonged cold period following a favorable growing period. This results in small bulbs with large necks which are hard to cure and generally unusable.  The larger the plants are at the time of exposure to the cold period the higher the rate of bolting."
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/23/2014, 10:31 pm

Here is another excellent site.  Dixondale Farms.  A great explanation of long and short day onions and why they work in different geographic areas.  On the home page there is a video describing the difference.  Other videos about fertilizing, growing degree days, what makes a bulb bigger.

http://www.dixondalefarms.com/

The plants may bolt if you have warm growing weather and then extended cold period.  The onion thinks it is cooling off and seasons are changing.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/24/2014, 2:05 am

I like that site, and should visit it more often to keep its recommendations in mind.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3637

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 4/24/2014, 10:54 am

yolos wrote:
The plants may bolt if you have warm growing weather and then extended cold period.  The onion thinks it is cooling off and seasons are changing.
This has me thinking.  In the past I've purchased onion plants from a local garden center--which were purchased in bulk from Dixondale.  Sometimes, some of the onions go to seed.  Since these onions were grown in Texas (warm), then by me planting them fairly early in Wisconsin, they were exposed to cold days and nights in April, then things warmed up (warm again) and then eventually some went to seed. 

This year I started my own onions from seed, it will be interesting to see if any of them go to seed or not.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 4/24/2014, 11:23 am

yolos, that undoubtedly explains our problem.

Here in Texas, we plant onions October through January to take advantage of the cold weather.  By February when we had unseasonably warm weather (near 80), the bulbs were already fairly large. Then we had a stretch of weather that yoyo'd between 14 degrees and the high 60's.

Thanks for the information.
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  manda99 4/24/2014, 1:31 pm

I had this problem last year when we had a cold snap in late spring. I cut the stalks off all of them as soon as I saw them, but left the onions growing in the ground. The onions were fine as long as used quickly after harvest - they didn't keep well. The stalk left a very thick green neck/core to the onion that basically rotted instead of drying out.
manda99
manda99

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/24/2014, 3:06 pm

manda99 wrote:I had this problem last year when we had a cold snap in late spring. I cut the stalks off all of them as soon as I saw them, but left the onions growing in the ground. The onions were fine as long as used quickly after harvest - they didn't keep well. The stalk left a very thick green neck/core to the onion that basically rotted instead of drying out.

Uh oh. That looks what we're having now. (supposed to be 35 degrees tonight) You folks are making me nervous! I've got two long beds full of onions.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3637

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/24/2014, 3:31 pm

I will be vigilant to watch over my purple onions.  I just checked and no blossom stems, but my green onions (started from the roots of store bought spring onions) all had them.  

Perhaps that's why they've turned out more like leeks in the past?  Maybe they are in the leek family?  Does anyone know?  I use them in salsa a lot, they seem to work well for that with their mild onion flavor.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/24/2014, 6:15 pm

Onions, leeks and garlic are all in the same family,
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/24/2014, 6:35 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I will be vigilant to watch over my purple onions.  I just checked and no blossom stems, but my green onions (started from the roots of store bought spring onions) all had them.  

Perhaps that's why they've turned out more like leeks in the past?  Maybe they are in the leek family?  Does anyone know?  I use them in salsa a lot, they seem to work well for that with their mild onion flavor.
Leeks and onions are alliums. The lack of bulbing in your purple onions could be for other reasons such as low N or daylight length. Purple onions are not leeks.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/publications/onions/oniongro.html

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/24/2014, 6:45 pm

camprn wrote:
audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I will be vigilant to watch over my purple onions.  I just checked and no blossom stems, but my green onions (started from the roots of store bought spring onions) all had them.  

Leeks and onions are alliums. The lack of bulbing in your purple onions could be for other reasons such as low N or daylight length. Purple onions are not leeks.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/publications/onions/oniongro.html
I guess I didn't make it clear  Smile   I was talking about the green onions (bought at a supermarket, tops used and the base replanted) that didn't bulb.  They ended up like monster green onions - about 1 1/2" to 2" diameter.  That's why I thought perhaps they might be more like leeks.  I haven't researched on them, just musing.  

My purple onions are only a couple months old and I don't expect bulbing just yet.  They're actually doing really well - I was just mentioning that I will watch for flowering and remove them when they do.

P.S. Thanks for the article, it's very informative!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/24/2014, 7:58 pm

I love leeks! They are so much mellower than onions and have a different quality of umami. It's hard to explain. I wait ALL YEAR for fresh, luscious leeks to be pulled from the garden.  drooling 

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/24/2014, 10:08 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
manda99 wrote:I had this problem last year when we had a cold snap in late spring. I cut the stalks off all of them as soon as I saw them, but left the onions growing in the ground. The onions were fine as long as used quickly after harvest - they didn't keep well. The stalk left a very thick green neck/core to the onion that basically rotted instead of drying out.

Uh oh.  That looks what we're having now.  (supposed to be 35 degrees tonight)  You folks are making me nervous!  I've got two long beds full of onions.
I planted 4 different types of onions before our last cold snap, and cold it was, no not cold, freezing, not a frost but freezing.
My thermometer (mercury) read 22 degrees, all onions came through fine.
They perked up and are doing very nicely now...no I did not cover them either..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 4/25/2014, 11:04 pm

jimmy cee wrote:I planted 4 different types of onions before our last cold snap, and cold it was, no not cold, freezing, not a frost but freezing.
My thermometer (mercury) read 22 degrees, all onions came through fine.
They perked up and are doing very nicely now...no I did not cover them either..
Jimmy, good news on your onions.  They are resilent creatures aren't they?   I had 19F last week followed by 24F the next night.  They had row covers on, had some damage to the leaves, but all survived and have since all sprouted new leaves.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next