Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 Toplef10Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 I22gcj10Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 Toplef10Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 I22gcj10Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing Bush Beans

+12
Leighfluver
pattipan
Retired Member 1
aspiegardner
titans01
cherriesjubilee
chocolatepop
keithw
Mikesgardn
Lavender Debs
ander217
Cropper2
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 Empty Editing post

Post  ander217 5/2/2010, 3:35 pm

LOL, Debs, don't worry about it. It's usually me who does things like that.

No, I've never been sickened by raw kidney beans because I always cook them first. Smile

But really, this is not an urban legend, it's the real deal. There is a high concentration of lectin toxin in kidney beans, and they should be cooked at boiling temps for at least ten minutes before eating. It is not safe to cook them from the fresh state in crockpots unless you cook them on high and let them boil.

Here is an article from foodreference.com:

RED KIDNEY BEAN POISONING

Red Kidney Bean Poisoning is an illness caused by a toxic agent, Phytohaemagglutnin (Kidney Bean Lectin). This toxic agent is found in many species of beans, but it is in highest concentration in red kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris). The unit of toxin measure is the hemagglutinating unit (hau). Raw kidney beans contain from 20,000 to 70,000 hau, while fully cooked beans contain from 200 to 400 hau. White kidney beans, another variety of Phaseolus vulgaris, contain about one-third the amount of toxin as the red variety; broad beans (Vicia faba) contain 5 to 10% the amount that red kidney beans contain.

As few as 4 or 5 beans can bring on symptoms. Onset of symptoms varies from between 1 to 3 hours. Onset is usually marked by extreme nausea, followed by vomiting, which may be very severe. Diarrhea develops somewhat later (from one to a few hours), and some persons report abdominal pain. Some persons have been hospitalized, but recovery is usually rapid (3 - 4 h after onset of symptoms) and spontaneous.

The syndrome is usually caused by the ingestion of raw, soaked kidney beans, either alone or in salads or casseroles. As few as four or five raw beans can trigger symptoms. Several outbreaks have been associated with "slow cookers" or crock pots, or in casseroles which had not reached a high enough internal temperature to destroy the glycoprotein lectin. It has been shown that heating to 80 degrees C. may potentiate the toxicity five-fold, so that these beans are more toxic than if eaten raw. In studies of casseroles cooked in slow cookers, internal temperatures often did not exceed 75 degrees C..

All persons, regardless of age or gender, appear to be equally susceptible; the severity is related only to the dose ingested.

No major outbreaks have occurred in the U.S. Outbreaks in the U.K. are far more common, and may be attributed to greater use of dried kidney beans in the U.K., or better physician awareness and reporting.

NOTE: The following procedure has been recommended by the PHLS (Public Health Laboratory Services, Colindale, U.K.) to render kidney, and other, beans safe for consumption:
* Soak in water for at least 5 hours.
* Pour away the water.
* Boil briskly in fresh water for at least 10 minutes.
* Undercooked beans may be more toxic than raw beans.

Sources: FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition.
BAD BUG BOOK (Foodborne Pathogenic Microorganisms and Natural Toxins Handbook).
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 Empty Re: Growing Bush Beans

Post  sceleste54 5/2/2010, 9:14 pm

Growing Bush Beans - Page 2 Kopfschuettel WOW!! Learn something every day on here... I think I'll pass on the Red Kidney Beans...
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  coot 6/12/2010, 10:51 pm

HELP!! I thought beans were supposed to be easy!!?? I have a square of bush beans whose leaves are turning from healthy green to a yellowish color. I always do the 2" finger test before watering, so they're not too wet. They're planted in a separate box next door to a box with marigolds which I've heard are not friendly to peas or beans, and the other plants in the same box aren't do too well either---radish leaves are full of holes and they're turning yellow, and the other squares consist of a cucumber and a cilantro that bolted (I pulled it out) Any ideas?
coot
coot

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/13/2010, 12:38 am

coot wrote:HELP!! I thought beans were supposed to be easy!!?? I have a square of bush beans whose leaves are turning from healthy green to a yellowish color.

I had this problem, too. I fed them everything I could think of - fish emulsion, epsom salts, cal/mag pills, gypsum and miracle grow. The only thing I did not give them was iron. They greened up a bit, but not much. However, they are producing beans just fine so I decided to cease worrying about it.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/13/2010, 7:07 am

coot wrote:HELP!! I thought beans were supposed to be easy!!?? I have a square of bush beans whose leaves are turning from healthy green to a yellowish color.

Coot, are you using Mel's Mix?

I am using a fudged version that uses vermiculite, peat, manure/humus, and a bit of our good ol' Virginia red clay. I tested my soil yesterday morning. The pH was low-ish (6+), potash was fine, but both phosphorus and nitrogen were very low. (And that after hitting my SFGs with a heavy layer of coffee grounds, twice! Guess it breaks down even more slowly than I thought.) I am going to be spreading bone meal and blood meal this morning. My plants all look fine so far, but I am paranoid.

Since we are so close geographically, if you are using any of your topsoil, you may be having a similar problem with your soil chemistry. Even if you ARE using MM, it might be worth it to test your soil, as it seems like a lot of people on the forum have had trouble with their compost.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  coot 6/13/2010, 8:44 am

Hi Megan, I am using MM. All my veggies are grown in boxes with bottoms. Funny thing is, a couple of the bean plants in that box didn't germinate, so I stuck in some new seeds a few weeks later and those particular plants look fine. I was wondering if it was an age thing or perhaps the new plants are sucking up all the nitrogen.

Where did you take your soil to be tested and do they charge a fee for that?
coot
coot

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/13/2010, 9:01 am

I bought a kit at HD, it was about $3. It may not be as precise as an Ag Extension office test, but it was quick and told me what I needed to know.

I direct-seeded almost all my plants, too, and they were slow to germinate. I think it is the wacky spring we are having. Despite my soil being off, they seem healthy.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2