Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Yardslave 2/4/2014, 12:32 pm

Same thing here on the coast. I'm playing musical chairs with my seedlings. It's in-and-out with them. I'm putting 'em back inside my garage and they're going back under lights at least until the cold spell passes next week. I had so hoped that I could get an early crop in, so I wouldn't have to be watering much in late summer.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  keepercjr 2/4/2014, 4:36 pm

Crazy weather! weather.com says 30 tonight and a chance of rain on thursday. Thankfully nothing in my garden will be affected but 1 tree (the aprium) has started flowering. I don't think it will hurt it. I haven't even done my winter maintenance on the fruit trees! Time to get cracking!

kauairosina - how nice to have a gardening buddy! Nobody takes an interest in my garden except myself. My kids do like showing it off but they don't like to help much. My husband will help when I ask but he has 0 interest in it. All he cares is that I grow spaghetti squash and onions because we use a lot of those. At least I do have friends to talk garden with Smile
keepercjr
keepercjr

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty weather

Post  kauairosina 2/4/2014, 5:12 pm

30!  I think my blood must be too thin to ever live in California again.  It is 72 here and I'm wearing a sweatshirt.

Have lettuce starts to plant with my friend tomorrow and trying to find my SFG book to show my grandson how to do the trellis .  I think I'll look up the old SFG book about trellises also.  I see from one of these notes that it was simpler.

Gonna put some fish emulsion on broccoli that the worms are getting to as well as maybe some Neem.  We've been picking the worms off.  Aphids on okra.  Gonna try the baby powder because where there's aphids there's ants.

Friend told me that copper wire set around plans discourages slugs and snails.  Gonna try that too to see if it discourages anything else.

30!  I'm a wuss.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/4/2014, 8:29 pm

kauairosina wrote:30!  I think my blood must be too thin to ever live in California again.  It is 72 here and I'm wearing a sweatshirt.

30!  I'm a wuss.

Nah - you just acclimate to wherever you are.  I am originally from a very hot area of California (where I always froze if it was below 80), however, after 15 years in South Dakota, I now sweat when it is in the 60's!  My CA friends would die if they knew how much I have gotten to like the weather here.  It is no joke that 40 is t-shirt weather!  

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/6/2014, 1:52 pm

The cat and I are looking out the windows at the rain! I'm glad I set up the seedlings and lights in the formal dining room! I started the online course yesterday so I'm doing a little reading and homework, seed watching, cat consoling, laundry. And waiting for the 2013 Second Edition to arrive in the mail. I have the 1st Ed. of ANSFG but I thought I should get a used copy of the 2013 version.

What are you doing?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 2/6/2014, 2:03 pm

We are watching the rain pour down, doing school work (I homeschool) and basically just having a lazy day. We do want to get to the pet store at some point today. I have my seedlings in my dining room under lights (where they have been) and I love checking on them a few times a day. They grow SO fast. I have to raise the lights daily. So far I just have tomatoes and 1 eggplant (fairytale). They are 3 weeks old. I will sew squash and more later. I had no luck getting my pepper seeds to germinate.

I do have to say my chickens are not too happy about the rain and they have to run through it to get to the coop to lay. Otherwise they hang out on my back patio (messy!). Oh and all my cats are hangning out inside Smile
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/6/2014, 3:46 pm

Cats are smart!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/12/2014, 3:49 pm

Today is glorious.  sunny  No rain or clouds. I took my seedlings outside for a couple hours of sun while I make some MM for the last planned 2' x 2' box. At 4 Pm, the second online class begins.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 2/12/2014, 7:53 pm

I wish I had enough money for the certification course! I wasn't home this afternoon to put my seedlings outside for some sun. But they will go outside starting tomorrow!
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2014, 12:46 am

Update on seedlings - veggies and some flowers. I need to separately pot some of the twins and triplets.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Seedli16

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Seedli17
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/14/2014, 12:51 am

Looks like you got a second fixture, and your plants are lovin' it!  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 3170584802 
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2014, 1:04 am

Good eyes!   Or good memory.  Much better, less leaning toward the light.. I need to separately replant some of the twins and triplets.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 2/14/2014, 3:07 pm

Sanderson, what are you growing? My tomato (and 1 egg plant) seedlings are a month old and now. I potted them up from the 2 inch soil block to solo red cups yesterday and they will now be outside most of the day and brought in at night. My cucumber, squash (summer and winter) and pumpkins that I sewed in 2 inch soil blocks are all beginning to sprout and as soon as they all do they will be outside during the day as well.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2014, 4:51 pm

I think one of the eggplants sprouted.  But I am reseeding the 3 varieties again in pure vermiculite.  Too many volunteer tomato seeds sprouted in my seed pots because I used MM as the medium.  Not so bad with seedlings with unique first leaves, but disastrous in some of the tomatoes seedling pots!!   Embarassed 

3 varieties of fresh beans, 2 var. bok choy, cabbage, 4 var. cantaloupes, 3 var. carrots, celery, 2 var. corn, 4 var. cucumbers, 3 eggplant, garlic, kale, okra, 3 var. onions, parsnip, snow peas, 9 var. peppers, 2 radishes, 7 var. summer and winter squash, 3 var. Swiss chard, 2 or 4 plants tomatillo, 12 var. tomatoes, 10 var. herbs, and 11-14 var. flowers, plus a few sunflower inside the public sidewalk fence to show off that SFG works.  I have 84 sq ft for veggies plus food grade 5 gallon buckets for potatoes, and 33 pots of herbs and a few veggies.  Most of the flowers will go out front in the non-sfg flower bed and a few in show spots outside the boxes.

I'm going to put up the rest of the high trellises today.  I set one up and then realized that I couldn't reach beyond the 8 ft mark with stool or ladder.  Logistics.  So DH cut 2' off each one before nap time.

If you want to experiment with something, let me know what seed(s) you would like to try.

Audrey, you also.   We could meet for lunch in Sunnyside as a compromise??
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 2/14/2014, 8:18 pm

You should have a nice variety come harvest time! I have 84 squares now too. I don't even have enough plants for them. Currently I have kale, broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, lettuce and garlic (my first time!) in the garden. have tons of seeds (maybe a seed hoarder?) so I think I am ok but thank you so much for your offer! Did you use MM from your garden bed? Is that why you have volunteer toms? I up potted my toms in the MM from Lowes. I figured even if it is inferior to home made it should be fine for a few weeks till planting time. All my trellises are 6 feet (except the cattle panel arch) and that works just fine for me and the plants. At the end of the season the tomatoes have gone over the top and are coming back down but it doesn't seem to bother them. I do need to redo the netting on a few.

Since I have a bad cold I supervised my DH while he turned the compost pile into the 3rd bin this afternoon  Smile Normally I would have done most of it with a little help from him. We found several of those huge grubs and the chickens just love them. There was lots of chasing going on! I was so happy to see tons and tons of worms all through the pile. I really think keeping the moisture level high has helped a lot! I soaked it really well when I turned it 2 weeks ago and then the rain added more. I have a compost thermometer and it is always fun to go outside and see 120 degree readings.. Very Happy Maybe just maybe it will be ready or mostly ready for planting time next month.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2014, 8:29 pm

Mistake, I have 74, NOT 84.  Embarassed 

Yes, I seeded in MM, which is fine for most but I won't do that again for some of them. I forgot about the MM at Lowes! Maybe tomorrow I can see if they have any left.

Your compost pile sounds wonderful!! Seeing the chickens going after the grubs must be fun to watch.

I'm so sorry you have a cold. I hate getting a cold, honk, cough, groan. My husband visited one of his sons and family in Texas. He tells everyone that he got lots of wet kisses and a cold from his 11 month old great-granddaughter! He's in a guest room until he is well and he is not having much fun not feeling well.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2014, 8:35 pm

For the instructor class, we have to give a 3-5 minute online presentation.  My topic is growing in a small space and growing up.  I finished the 3 new trellises in the newest area so I thought I would take photos for the Powerpoint presentation.  DH thought he would ruin one of the photos.  I'm getting even:  . . .

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 West_s22

Here's another view:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 West_s23
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Way to Go!

Post  ehaffner1 2/14/2014, 9:34 pm

Wow, I was so excited to just get my box yesterday and bought some starter plants and going through what seeds I want to plant.  Still waiting on my soil.  Now that I see you guys, I feel like a wimp.  I'm not saying it is a contest, but I thought I was super excited and really going for it.  You have showed me what being REALLY GOING FOR IT means.  I am very impressed.  Wish you guys lived in my neighborhood for gardening buddies.
ehaffner1
ehaffner1

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/14/2014, 11:32 pm

Obviously, sanderson's DH takes his Honey Do list seriously!  Wink 

That space is looking great.   California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 3170584802
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/15/2014, 12:17 am

E hauffner,  Let's go back 12 months:  Rewind to Feb 2013
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 2-19-111

Fast forward to Aug 2013:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Back_f10

Back to Dec 1, 2013:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Side_w19

Fast forward to today:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 West_s24

Dream it, and it will come.  Patience.  You are not a wimp.  You are a Newbie today.  Tomorrow a gardener!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/15/2014, 12:37 am

Boffer, Yes he does. He constructs all of the wood boxes and helps me set them exactly where I want them! I do all the rest, MM, compost, planting, clean-up! He cuts the metal pipes, I assemble from there. It took me 15 minutes to cut one piece of metal. It took him about 10 minutes to measure and cut by hand 8 pieces.

All of this would have been near impossible without his help.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/15/2014, 7:39 pm

Look how beautiful that is!  Is that on the side of your house?  How is the sun/shade situation there?  What are you going to be planting?

Well, I wanted to spend most of the day in the yard today but my agents called and I have an art collection that a manufacturer needs ASAP on Monday so I'm working at my computer instead.  I did get to spend a couple hours out in the garden this afternoon taking a sanity break, 60ish temps and overcast.  Perfect to work in. 

1.  Started transplanting lettuce, spinach and other veggies that can tolerate any cold we'll get from now on.

2.  Planted a tomato on my hillside.  I will have to cover it if we get any frosts or below 40 nights (the fact I planted it will guarantee that we'll have a frost - my apologies in advance!)

3.  Weeded my new hillside garden, which with the deep wood chips mostly consisted of raking the weed sprouts away.  Planted about 50 onion starts yesterday there.  My peas are coming up and everything I planted 2 weeks ago it growing nicely.

4.  I'm starting to plant my straw bales.  These have a lot of seeds sprouting (straw) in them.  It's not that big of a deal, they eventually die or we pull them out of cut them off.  They're at the producing mushrooms stage so they're well on their way.  I'm experimenting to see if a see planted in the bale now will grow faster than the ones a started in the greenhouse about 3 weeks ago.  

5.  My newest batch of compost is cooking away.  It will be ready in about 2 months or so as it isn't heating up super high temps this time, but is at about 120 right now. 

6.  Planting my second wave of starts.  I am really liking using the window box size planters.  The tiniest seedlings have MASSIVE root systems in them.  I just plant with enough room to grab a hand full or use a trowel to break apart each plant and then they transplant with virtually no shock or slow down to their growth.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/15/2014, 8:17 pm

Here's some pictures from today's garden.

The straw bales:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Bales-2-15-14_zps82941572

My seed starting system:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Photo_zps310eee4b

My new hillside garden starting to fill in:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 BTE-new-garden-2-15-14_zps9ea63de8

My greenhouse gardens.  The Japanese eggplant was attacked this week by some aphid like bugs.  I'm spraying with insecticidal soap mix every few days :-(.  The hot peppers are going crazy and I'm eating tomatoes every day or so.  It has worked magnificently for us this year.  I haven't had to cover the inside beds for 2-3 weeks as it's been warm enough at night without the second covering and the lights and heater.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Japanese-eggplant-cabbage-beets-bellpeppers-2-15-14_zps1dd5f992

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Hotpeppers-swisschard-tomatoes-2-14-15_zpsd6185bc2

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Peas-radishes-cabbage-beets-2-15-14_zps02ed0cdd
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/19/2014, 7:29 pm

I'm trying to decide if I can risk planting seedlings from now on out.  They're not quite ready yet, but the last frost date we had was Feb 5th and looking a month out I don't see any threats.  About a month from now there's a possibility of a 36 degree night, but so far every time the "possibility" has popped up it's gone away and hasn't happened.

Have you heard any long term weather forecasts anywhere that would encourage caution? 

If I start planting in the next 1-2 weeks, it's easy enough to cover the seedlings with wide mouthed jars and then a second row cover over that for protection.

What to do?  What to DO???
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 2/19/2014, 9:12 pm

Anyone going to the Smart Gardening Conference on Saturday? ucanr.org/sgc
I decided to attend with my friend. If you register by tonight it is $40 instead of $50.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next