Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes Toplef10Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes I22gcj10Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes Toplef10Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes I22gcj10Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by OhioGardener Today at 3:54 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 3:04 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes

+14
Scorpio Rising
Ginger Blue
jimmy cee
ilvalleygal
plantoid
TxGramma
walshevak
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sanderson
Marc Iverson
donnainzone5
CapeCoddess
cheyannarach
mschaef
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes Empty Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes

Post  mschaef 10/2/2013, 6:29 pm

We are getting our first snow fall tomorrow so I went out today and pick everything. Now I have green tomatoes everywhere. My kitchen and table are covered. Does anyone have any great ideas on how to uses/ store them? I can only handle some many fried green tomatoes and dont have the space to allow them to turn red on the counters. Any ideas/ thoughts would be great, thanks!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 597

Back to top Go down

Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes Empty Re: Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes

Post  cheyannarach 10/2/2013, 6:34 pm

Someone here, I think Turan, makes green tomato salsa!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes Empty Re: Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes

Post  CapeCoddess 10/2/2013, 7:01 pm

Someone on here mentioned putting them single layer in a box under the bed to ripen.
I think I'd mark my calendar to remind me to check on them. Wink 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 10/2/2013, 7:14 pm

Likewise, I recently picked about three gallons of mostly green tomatoes. I plan to ripen some of the smaller and less numerous ones, like Beefmaster, inside on a counter top. I think the rest will go into paper bags, along with companion bananas. The Stupice still has a few nearly ripe on the vine.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2667

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/2/2013, 8:29 pm

Let us know if you find especially good recipes! I'm new to green tomatoes, but found out I like 'em!

Went out to the garden today and found some green tomatoes had been blown off their vines, so I picked them up and brought them in. I still have dozens of greenies on my plants.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3637

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2013, 10:23 pm

Donna and Marc, The amount of tomatoes that you have just boggles my mind. I picked all remaining green tomatoes and they filled a small bowl!!Embarassed 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21605

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/2/2013, 10:50 pm

Last January I had 3 roma tomato plants in my makeshift hoop house that finally were dieing so I picked all the green tomatoes I could find that weren't diseased or damaged. I left a few I wasn't sure about and discovered that if they aren't perfect don't put them in storage, they WILL go bad.

I gently cleaned them, and layered them in a box that I put in the fridge. I pulled out a few at a time to ripen on my kitchen window sill and had tomatoes until around the middle of March if I remember correctly.

I had 3 boxes worth, so I put some in my garage and they didn't do well. I think it might have gotten too cold out there.

This year my tomatoes are still loaded. I have Roma with a final small crop, larger tomatoes that are throw backs from hybrid seeds (volunteers) and they have tons of green toms right now and then I have 2 types of cherry toms that are loaded as well.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 10/2/2013, 10:52 pm

Well, I DID have six tomato plants.... One of which, the Beefmaster, I started from seed. It produced very few tomatoes. The Stupice and Cherokee Purple were the most productive, although the Champion, Costoluto Genovese, and Arkansas Traveler did better than expected.

Next year, I swear I'll get all the summer crops in the first week in June! That is, if it looks like we'll HAVE a summer.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2667

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 10/3/2013, 9:48 am

Green tomato dill refrigerator pickles using quartered regular tomatoes. I have also used a regular dill pickle recipe and pouring the boiling brine over green cherry tomatoes and a 10 minute water bath per quart. Try green tomato chutney canned with a water bath. Chutney is great with crackers and cheddar cheese. I have 1 jar left. I found the recipes online and forgot to bookmark them.

I did find tastiest dill cherry tomatoes were the ones that had started to turn from dark green to light green. Color doesn't matter in the chutney.

Green tomatoes make a great addition to an oriental stir fry.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 10/3/2013, 10:19 am

Thanks all, I know what Ill be doing for a few days...Shocked
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 10/3/2013, 10:37 am

I wish I had your problem! There are lots of ways to use green tomatoes. I love fried green tomatoes and pickled green tomatoes. If you go to this link, Search - Green Tomatoes SB Canning , you will find a variety of canning recipes to use up all of those green tomatoes including a way to can them so that you can have fried green tomatoes later. I can't wait to have this problem so that I can use these recipes.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/3/2013, 9:00 pm

You can only have so many green tomato products  , I had three 24 x 16 inch plastic trays of green toms to sort out .

So I graded them in colour and left them in our bedroom on the dresser by the window which face north . No tomatoes to touch another or they quickly go rotten if slightly damaged /bruised .

A few of the riper ones were kitchen window cill'ed where it gets sun form 09.00  to 16.00 .

The gentle heat in the bungalow turned some ten pounds of the green toms on tray's  red in a matter of 5 days or so  , these are the ones I've just canned .  Each day I carefully turned the green bits towards the day light to get an even redness developing.

There is about another four pounds of green tomatoes left .I hope to make a green tomato & apple chutney with them tomorrow .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 10/3/2013, 9:59 pm

Well 5 lbs of green tomatoes used with some red tomatoes for homemade pasta sauce. Another 5 lbs given to friends. Now I have 20 more lbs to fried and can up. Thinking about pickling some and making up some chutney too. Going to the store to get more jars tomorrow.
Plantoid may I have your green tomato and apple chutney recipe please it sounds yummy
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/4/2013, 1:20 am

plantoid wrote:
 There is about another four pounds of green tomatoes left .I hope to make a green tomato & apple chutney with them tomorrow .
That sounds pretty interesting. What do you spread it on? And can you share the recipe?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/4/2013, 7:25 am

The recipe is in here under apple chutney
http://www.sbcanning.com/search?q=Green+Tomatoes

We don't spread it on things per se but put a dollop on the plate beside cold meat or fish and have a bit of it with each fork full of flesh .
 It's also nice in a similar manner when you have a leafy salad , ripe toms slice ,crunch light yellow/green celery stick raw onions  and a strong hard white cheese ( or the cheese of your preference ) aka traditional ploughman's lunch or pork pie , haslet or salami  
Add a bit of sweet pickled red cabbage and your in your seventh heaven

We also have it with crisp crunchy cheese crackers and Philadelphia  cream cheese with a few chopped chives . 
 IE creamed cracker with cheese & chopped chive  and a pimple of chutney on top .. white dry wine or a sweet fine herb wine in accompaniment  or a thick syrupy black current/ black berry liqueur .. also good with Jagermeister & crunchy celery .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  ilvalleygal 10/4/2013, 10:50 am

I have some of those plastic drawer/shelf things that I used for last year's green tomatoes. I put them in a single layer in the plastic drawers and covered the top with a layer of newspaper. The cart/shelf thing then sat near the washer in the basement so I could check on the tomatoes.

Most of the tomatoes slowly ripened in the drawers with a few that I didn't catch right away. Those went to compost. The ripened ones worked fine in sauces.
ilvalleygal

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/4/2013, 1:28 pm

Plantoid,  I must eat breakfast before I read your replies!  drooling
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21605

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/4/2013, 3:12 pm

Well, that's LOTS of ideas -- thanks plantoid!

I just thought of a question, though -- I don't can, and wonder if you would change the recipe in any way if you were going to eat some of the chutney fresh(or after letting it sit a few days) and just freeze the rest? Maybe in small snack-size portions, or even in ice cube trays?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/4/2013, 7:50 pm

Eat fresh ....... in open jars will keep in a decent cold fridge @3 oC for a fortnight .

Don't know about freezing it . 
 Perhaps Google /Wikki ..   " Can you freeze green tomato and apple chutney "  ....  or similar see what it says and use a bit of common sense when reading the replies.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/4/2013, 10:02 pm

Thanks!

I really hate the idea of pulling up tomato vines early, but we're having so much rain that almost all my medium-size and larger tomatoes are splitting. Maybe it's best to pick them just so they don't keep getting ruined and forcing me to throw them away.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/5/2013, 6:24 am

When I was a kid in the mid 1950's mum used to make her chutneys  and put them in simple warmed glass jars , slipping a disc of grease proof paper directly onto the top of the chutney  and then holding a cellophane clear disc over the jar with an elastic band .

These would be made at apple fall time and we'd still be eating it at Easter .

I can't remember much more about it other than some times there was date and apple chutney and thick sugar heavy jam without the vinegar as the main preservative
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 10/6/2013, 11:51 am

Man yesterday was a long day but I have goodies to show for it!!weeee   I canned up 3 pint jars of orange tomatoes sauce using what little red, orange, and yellow tomatoes I had with green ones. 4 pint jars of green tomatoes sauce. 5 pint jars of sliced green tomatoes in a pickling solution for fried green tomatoes later. And 6 jar of green tomato chutney. Seem to have misplaced the camera or I would post a picture. And I still have about 5 lbs of green tomatoes left. affraid
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 10/6/2013, 4:26 pm

Yahoo!!!!! Congrats.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/6/2013, 10:16 pm

My wife swears by wrapping each tomato in a sheet of newspaper.
Then just storing it somewhere till needed.
I've seen her take red tomatoes out of the wrap.
Sorry I only grow them, she does the rest while I....Outrageous amount of Green tomatoes 3170584802 
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 10/10/2016, 7:47 pm

Reconstituting another "oldie, but goodie" thread for the benefit of novices like me, who may find the info helpful...

In anticipation of first frost, today I harvested a shopping bag full of green cherry tomatoes - without a clue of what to do with them. This thread, along with the following article I found online, have given me some ideas to work with.

http://inmykitchengarden.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-ripen-green-tomatoes-indoors.html

Thanks, all!

GB
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next