Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full Toplef10We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full I22gcj10We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full Toplef10We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full I22gcj10We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full

+7
martha
Shoda
Lavender Debs
happyfrog
auntiemommy
boffer
3 ladybugs
11 posters

Go down

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full Empty We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full

Post  3 ladybugs 4/26/2010, 10:44 am

My husband built our 3 four foot square boxes over the weekend. We had 8 cubic feet of compost, 8 cubic feet of vermiculite, and 3.8 compressed cubic feet of peat moss. Yet our boxes are not full to the top. Did anyone else have this problem? Do we need to make more mix? Should we add more compost? We are about 2 inches from the top.Thank you for your help!
3 ladybugs

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full Empty Re: We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full

Post  boffer 4/26/2010, 10:57 am

glad you\'re here to the forum. Kudos to you for doing your best to follow Mel's instructions! That is the best way to insure gardening success. Mathematically, a 4x4x6 box will take 8 cf of mix. But, once it is wetted down and compresses a bit, it doesn't fill the box. From my own experience, I suggest using 10cf of mix for that size box. I would just add more mix till you attain the soil level you want. This picture shows a 4x4 box with 10 cf of mix; when wet the soil is still 1/2 inch below the top.

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full 4x4_fi10

Happy gardening
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full Empty I ran into the same problem

Post  auntiemommy 4/26/2010, 11:07 am

When I built my boxes I made slightly more than Mel calls for in his book and my boxes still were not full. I would say to add 20% to whatever he calls for to get them full. Allowing for when it shrinks when wet down and settled. I am making more this week.
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full Empty Re: We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full

Post  boffer 4/26/2010, 11:11 am

Oh yeah, don't worry about having leftover materials-you'll need them for the new boxes you'll want to build next spring! Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/26/2010, 12:01 pm

boffer wrote:Oh yeah, don't worry about having leftover materials-you'll need them for the new boxes you'll want to build next spring! Wink

or for container planting! you'll never buy potting soil again.

this stuff is WAY WAY WAY better!!!
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/26/2010, 12:44 pm

happyfrog wrote:or for container planting! you'll never buy potting soil again.

this stuff is WAY WAY WAY better!!!
You have an AMEN from the back row!

I put my blueberries and dwarf fruit trees in the "leftover mix.
Every time I am wanting to put something into a pot I mix up a batch in an old dishpan to fill the pot. Any leftovers I dump right into the bag of "potting soil" I keep on the back porch.
I'm starting to feel idgy when I run out of vermiculite.

Deborah ... \o/\o/\o/
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 4/26/2010, 11:07 pm

Thanks for mentioning the shortage. I finished my 3 boxes over the weekend and had to run out to buy more ingredients because I ran out. I already have plans for a new box and was trying to figure out how much to buy this time so I don't have to make extra trips.

I did have to chuckle about the left over Mel's Mix though. I had a few CF left of Mel's Mix after my last box. I put it aside thinking I would use it for the next box. However, the kids took it to fill 2 topsie turvies and then they used the rest to mix into their new flower bed that they are building just outside the vegetable garden.

I am sure prices for the ingredients vary a lot around the country. I wish I could have found the vermiculite cheaper then I did but when I calculated the cost for Mel's Mix was about $6.50 per SF.
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/27/2010, 3:08 pm

It is expensive, but only the first time!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 4/27/2010, 8:14 pm

Wow, I give you all so much credit for sticking so strictly to the mix. I saw how low my boxes were, and figured I couldn't have possibly guessed right on my compost/vermiculite quantities, and simply went out and got enough additional compost to fill up the boxes. We'll see what sort of experiment I end up with. LOL
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full Empty Re: We followed Mel's guidelines...

Post  ander217 4/27/2010, 8:36 pm

We had this same problem. Not only that, the mix keeps going lower and lower in the boxes. Has anyone had that problem?

We made our mix exactly to specs, using coarse vemiculite, peat moss, and a mixture of composted cow manure, mushroom compost, cotton burr compost, and something just called "compost". We filled three new boxes over the weekend and planted them. They were filled to the brim with Mel's Mix. We got a 2 1/2" rain, and when I checked today, some of the mix is at least three inches below the top.

Our first box was 4' x 4' x 1', and our mix was a little below the top rim when we planted. Now the mix is about 4" below the edge, and the plants next to the east and west edges are not growing as well, I assume because they are being shaded.

We soaked the filled boxes well before planting. I can't figure out why our mix keeps compacting.

Any ideas? I don't see anything I can do this year now that the boxes are already planted, but I'd like to know why the mix keeps compacting lower and lower. We stapled weed barrier to the bottom and the boxes are set on the ground on top of more weed barrier or newspapers or cardboard.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/27/2010, 9:05 pm

my soil level drops a bit, too BUT what i do is GENEROUSLY add compost when i plant next crop - so a good 'cottage cheese ' container ful is put in each square (2 quart container) and that seems to work for me.

also, i 'fluff' up the entire square when i add more compost so the whole thing is kind of mounded higher than the other squares before i plant a new plant/seed. i dig down to the bottom and down each edge of teh square/string to get all the soil blended anew.

it seems to be working for me.

maybe something similar could work for you? i figured if mel uses straight compost in third world countries then i could use 'extra' compost when replanting.
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/27/2010, 9:07 pm

oh and mel himself came to my house during the ohio symposium and told me my compost replanting method was definitely acceptable. Smile (i keep a trash can with lid filled with a good compost blend of at least 5 sources near my garden, so it's very easy to add more compost at a moment's notice.)
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  3 ladybugs 4/28/2010, 7:05 am

My husband added more Mel's Mix last night and now they are looking better. Now if it just wasn't cold outside, then I could do some planting. It is suppose to be better starting Friday. So I will have to start this weekend.

Thank you for everyone's help!
3 ladybugs

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

We followed Mel's guidelines but our boxes are not full Empty Adding more compost

Post  ander217 4/28/2010, 9:00 am

Happy Frog, thanks so much for the advice. I'll build up each grid individually with more compost this growing season when I replant, and "refluff" as you suggested. I like your idea of the garbage can of compost near the garden, too. I'll also follow Boffer's advice (at least I think it was Boffer) and "overfill" the boxes next year. Perhaps the particular brands of peat and compost we purchased are more susceptible to compacting than others.

Thanks for posting the thread, 3 Ladybugs.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 4/29/2010, 7:46 am

2nd year at this and getting ready to plant soon. The boxes look like the mix shrunk a lot over the winter.

do I just add more compost or do I need to do more of mel's exact mix. I want to make sure things grow this year and still not sure if they had enough vermiculite last year.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/29/2010, 11:14 am

Fluffing up last year's Mel's Mix with a trowel will help restore some of its volume. I'd suggest using pure compost for the rest.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum