Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 Toplef10Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 I22gcj10Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 Toplef10Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 I22gcj10Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Installing our new greenhouse today

+4
landarch
sanderson
unit649
audrey.jeanne.roberts
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 Empty Re: Installing our new greenhouse today

Post  Marc Iverson 10/15/2013, 2:07 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
I don't think that the straw bale heat would be enough to warm the volume of space, but they can  heat a smaller space within the space if we set up plastic over the top.  It's all a big experiment.  The summer crops are simply already growing and we'll see if we can keep them producing.  I don't necessarily expect the beans as an example to make it all winter, but they should last enough to give me a crop as they're getting close and our first frost is usually late November.
It'll be interesting to see how that works out. Over here, I have plenty of tomatoes on the vine, but the cold seems to have sent the plants dormant, making me wonder if the fruits will ever ripen.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Installing our new greenhouse today - Page 2 Empty Re: Installing our new greenhouse today

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/15/2013, 5:30 pm

Boffer;
Thanks for sharing your experience - it confirms my fears about the trash cans. The only thing we might have differently than you seeing you're in Washington is we get a lot of sunshine during the winter so it might get warmer. Not sure it would still be enough.

The interior hoop house producing 5-7 degrees higher temps might just be enough for us with our winter temps.

Mostly, other than the plants that were already growing in these beds, we've planted things that will do well anyway in our winter, so worst case we extend the season on both ends. I was thinking that I might consider doing a few cold frames set on the bales and open them during the day, closed at night. My daughter's father-in-law owns a window replacement company so I should be able to tell him what sizes I'm interested in and get them from him.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/15/2013, 5:32 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how that works out.  Over here, I have plenty of tomatoes on the vine, but the cold seems to have sent the plants dormant, making me wonder if the fruits will ever ripen.
I had a lot of green Roma tomatoes when my tomatoes finally kicked it late last Jan. I picked the good ones, tossed the rest and kept them in the fridge bringing them out a bit at a time and putting them in a sunny southern facing window. We had fresh tomatoes well through March.

I even bought a tom "A 'Grappioli" (I think it is) that the plant can be pulled up and hung for the winter. I'm going to see how that goes this winter. The only issue we have is our garage has a window :-( and they should have dark to store.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/16/2013, 8:02 pm

I had an epiphany when I was working in the greenhouse today.  Euring the cold snaps we get, I can move the planters from on top of the bales to on the ground between the bales and the planter box and cover them very easily.  

I might even do the inner hoop house set up so that it comes to just in front of the bales and all I have to do is pull the plastic back during the day.

That should make a good difference - and then when I need to run the heater, if I put it under that inner cover it shouldn't take much at all to keep things going.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/16/2013, 11:51 pm

It's cool that you have so many options to keep things warm.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2