Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 Toplef10Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 I22gcj10Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 Toplef10Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 I22gcj10Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting

+9
trolleydriver
countrynaturals
grownsunshine
sanderson
Chopper
audrey.jeanne.roberts
camprn
southern gardener
No_Such_Reality
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 Empty Re: Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting

Post  No_Such_Reality 10/5/2017, 10:15 am

sanderson wrote:I read a few articles and it seems that they are divided between composting affected plants and discarding them. thinking

Sorry for the late reply, I'm just getting back on my feet from a three week stint of cold>flu>bronchitis and too many horse pills to remember. I knew there was a reason I hate taking my kid to the pediatric urgent care.

Interesting article from Cornell.  https://grapesandwine.cals.cornell.edu/newsletters/appellation-cornell/2013-newsletters/issue-15/grapes-101

So I'd guess it depends on if you're hot composting or not and how diligent you are about pruning the infection and keeping it from reaching maturity and creating the spores that will relaunch when the weather warm. 

I compost mine and I figure it doesn't matter as during PM season in SoCal you literally can drive down the street and see trees and people's roses covered in it.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 Empty Re: Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting

Post  sanderson 10/5/2017, 3:43 pm

NSR, I'm sorry you have been sick for so long. I also caught a cold that developed into bronchitis and was stuck indoors for 2 weeks until the antibiotics kicked in.

I'm at least 3 weeks late on the seedlings. They are maybe 2" tall now but no 2nd leaves. Embarassed Today's chore is to pull down all the nasty cucumber, cantaloupe and winter squash vines.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 Empty squash, cucumbers, powdery mildew

Post  countrynaturals 3/18/2018, 12:34 pm

Turan wrote:Squash are heavy feeders, so that is given as a reason to move their location.  But the main reason given for rotation with squash and cucumbers is powdery mildew.  That over winters in the soil.  It spreads easily, so I don't know how much help rotation is in a small garden space. Definitely don't put infected leaves in the compost though.  Your trellis growing is probably the best preventative anyways.

I copied this from an unrelated post, since it is such important info.  thanks Turan.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/25/2018, 11:56 am

I'm wondering if regular blowing with a fan or leaf-blower could prevent powdery mildew. Any thoughts?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2018, 1:08 pm

Someone from a windy area might be able to answer that.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  DorothyG 3/26/2018, 1:28 am

countrynaturals wrote:I'm wondering if regular blowing with a fan or leaf-blower could prevent powdery mildew. Any thoughts?
 CN, we aren't the windiest area but we do get our share.  I thought of the fan idea several years ago but it wasn't practical for us so didn't try it.  

We had a lilac bush about 6 foot from the road edge that caught all kinds of breeze from the road and that didn't make a difference.  I don't like to use chemicals but when I do I try to find one that is more natural.  

The only thing I had any luck with was a liquid copper fungicide and I can say it did work great.  Way better than I expected.  The first year I used it my entire garden was infected.  I sprayed everything by hand and prayed.  I could see an improvement by the next day.  The tomatoes were sprayed 4 times that year but the rest of the garden only needed one more spraying.  The next year I did not have anything infected.
DorothyG
DorothyG

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2018, 3:10 am

Thank you for your input, Dorothy.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/26/2018, 12:15 pm

DorothyG wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:I'm wondering if regular blowing with a fan or leaf-blower could prevent powdery mildew. Any thoughts?
 CN, we aren't the windiest area but we do get our share.  I thought of the fan idea several years ago but it wasn't practical for us so didn't try it.  

We had a lilac bush about 6 foot from the road edge that caught all kinds of breeze from the road and that didn't make a difference.  I don't like to use chemicals but when I do I try to find one that is more natural.  

The only thing I had any luck with was a liquid copper fungicide and I can say it did work great.  Way better than I expected.  The first year I used it my entire garden was infected.  I sprayed everything by hand and prayed.  I could see an improvement by the next day.  The tomatoes were sprayed 4 times that year but the rest of the garden only needed one more spraying.  The next year I did not have anything infected.
Thanks, Dorothy. I saved that product info.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/28/2018, 11:02 pm

We have regular winds so that makes no difference and helps spread with the right weather.

Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 PMildew02

UC Davis has awesome information on it.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2018, 3:17 am

No_Such_Reality wrote:We have regular winds so that makes no difference and helps spread with the right weather.

Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting - Page 2 PMildew02

UC Davis has awesome information on it.
Yes, it does.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/10/2023, 6:28 pm

Mid August and we’ve had near ideal PM conditions for three weeks.  Need to get out this afternoon and prune affect leaves on my Zucchini.  Pull the cucumber, it’s beyond help.  Still have time to replant.  Also need to prune affected leaves on the Butternut.

Also trying a new Melon this year called Kajari, PM resistant supposedly and so far showing no signs planted it in may and it did nothing during our cold June and early July but with the heat of the last month, it’s growing well.

Hope all are doing well.
No_Such_Reality

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/10/2023, 7:00 pm

I am in a totally different grow zone and environment, but I have always had excellent control of PM with a simple homemade spray:

1 Tbsp of Baking Soda
1 Tsp Castile Soap
1 Gal Water

Mix well and spray once weekly early morning or late evening. Ensure both top and bottom of leaves are sprayed, as well as stems.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/10/2023, 8:36 pm

The only thing I have ever treated with (PM or any other mildew to be honest) is a milk mixture.  Sprayed 1:1 all over the plant leaves.  Especially the undersides.  You almost have to do it every day. I use powdered cheap milk that I reconstitute for this.  

Good luck!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2023, 3:18 am

I used to get powdery mildew in the winter squash. Now I get aphids, spider mites and white flies. The PM doesn't have a chance. Razz

Seriously, I used to use a 1:1 milk spray with fair results. It's mainly preventative rather than a treatment.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/12/2023, 8:17 am

sanderson wrote:I used to get powdery mildew in the winter squash.  Now I get aphids, spider mites and white flies.  The PM doesn't have a chance. Razz 
rofl

You need some Minute Pirate Bugs!  Wonder if I could loan you some? Very Happy

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/13/2023, 3:33 am

lol! I do not accept out-of-state packages in brown paper wrapping.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/13/2023, 9:24 am

funny post lol! rofl

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2