Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When to plant "fall crops" Toplef10When to plant "fall crops" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When to plant "fall crops" I22gcj10When to plant "fall crops" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When to plant "fall crops" Toplef10When to plant "fall crops" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When to plant "fall crops" I22gcj10When to plant "fall crops" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 2:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma Yesterday at 2:04 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 8/29/2024, 8:32 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

When to plant "fall crops"

5 posters

Go down

When to plant "fall crops" Empty When to plant "fall crops"

Post  Cropper2 4/24/2010, 2:57 pm

I'm always torn about how much of an idiot I am willing to be in a public setting, but I'm just going to have to jump in and accept the Idiot designation until further notice on this one. I'm really confused about when I should plant fall crops such as carrots, beets, brussels sprouts, onions, radishes and so on. The instructions reference carrots and brussels sprouts, for example, as doing better in cool weather. But clearly planting them in cool weather doesn't give them enough time to grow before downright COLD weather. I'm in Zone 7. Will someone please take pity on this idiot and help me out?
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

When to plant "fall crops" Empty From a fellow idiot

Post  Lavender Debs 4/24/2010, 3:14 pm

Someone taught me the secret idiot handshake but I found it confusing and was afraid to ask for help.

I am in one of the zone 7's (b I think) I start my Brussels in pots in June, and then put them where the peas were growing in July. By thanksgiving they usually find their way into the fry pan.

In Western Washington (the state) we can still safely put beets and carrots into the ground for another month. Closer to August beets can go into the winter garden. Carrots are bi-annual. Most of them will live through the winter (if they do not rot from rain after a freeze....the freeze they can live through, thawing in wet soil is bad). Once they try to flower in spring they are not as sweet to eat (to me at least) Onions can go in as seed when the ground is warm (mid July here) and make spring onions, again, they need to be protected from too much rain (I think we have a theme).

Spinach and radishes might give it a go in the dog-days around the time you start last minute school clothes shopping. Shorter days can mess with their growth but you should at least get a salad or five from them.

Deborah .....wondering where in zone 7 your garden is?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

When to plant "fall crops" Empty Re: When to plant "fall crops"

Post  Cropper2 4/24/2010, 3:23 pm

Thanks!

My Zone 7 is just outside of Annapolis, Maryland, along the Chesapeake Bay.

Are there "fall" veggies that should absolutely wait to be planted until late summer because they can't handle real heat or is just about everything OK to plant now (or soon)?

Here's another Idiot follow-on question. You say that carrots are bi-annual (I always have to have a conversation with myself to remember if that means twice a year or every other year). Conversation over - every other year. So are you saying that they are perennial and will come back every other year if left in the ground?
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/24/2010, 3:53 pm

No, pre... comes back every year like a tree or bush even though they can die back to the ground and come again from the roots, rather like a dandelion or asparagus.

Bi… means they grow the first year and flower the next (two seasons), then die after flowering. I think the actual word is biennial.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 4/24/2010, 3:56 pm

Thanks again!
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/24/2010, 3:59 pm

Whoops, skipped the 1st part.....

Cool season veggies survive the heat, but use the heat to make seed. In doing so they become bitter, annual root-crops (beets, radish, turnips) become hot in an unpleasant way or the leaves become bitter.

I like swiss chard for warm weather cooking greens instead of spinach.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/25/2010, 9:29 am

In the back of the New SFG book, there is a chart called "Planting schedule for continious harvest crops" that has both spring and fall planting schedules. Plus another chart on planting schedule for fall crops. I have the cheapie dollar store book so my page numbering is different than the full size book. But if you know your Fall freeze date, you can follow those charts to know when to plant.

Your county ag agent will also have publications with that info.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 4/25/2010, 11:01 am

I got the SFG book and love the charts in the back. I just love a good chart. But it looks to me as though I can plant cool weather plants throughout much of the summer for continuous harvests. I'm so confused. But hey! I'm going to plunk down the seeds and we'll just see what happens!

Thanks for all of your feedback.
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 4/25/2010, 11:09 am

We are in zone 8b. The temp in the summer gets to over 90-100 for months. Last year we successfully grew carrots, beets and lettuce in the middle of the summer. I will say that the carrots and lettuce were bitter during the hottest months but we ate them anyway. The lettuce variety I used was from Burpee and was labeled HEAT tolerant. It did not go to seed.

We are trying to grow some fall vegetables again this summer. I am going to shade them under tall plants or shade cloth and see how the do. We are just such big salad folks that without some summer lettuce we are lost. This year I plan on planting them in the shade of some peppers and will try a few different lettuce varieties to see what works.

Also, as the summer progresses I am hoping that the forums will help us figure out when to plant those fall crops.

Good luck!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/25/2010, 11:30 am

I'm always looking for new tricks Shoda. When I kept a big garden I would make the tepees for pole beans and put a little bit of salad inside the tepee. It was better than salad in open beds but not as good as spring salad.

This year I am planning to put a bed of salad next to the fence on the shady side of the house and see what I get.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/25/2010, 3:26 pm

Shoda wrote:We are in zone 8b. The temp in the summer gets to over 90-100 for months. ...
We are trying to grow some fall vegetables again this summer. I am going to shade them under tall plants or shade cloth and see how the do. We are just such big salad folks that without some summer lettuce we are lost. This year I plan on planting them in the shade of some peppers and will try a few different lettuce varieties to see what works.

Also, as the summer progresses I am hoping that the forums will help us figure out when to plant those fall crops.

Good luck!

There is a variety of chard called spinach chard -- it will grow all summer long and is good fresh just like spinach. I haven't seen the seeds on store display racks, but it can be ordered on-line. Just do a search. Also, New Zealand spinach loves hot weather and is great for salads.

I have some fall seed planting methods using trenches that I've used in row gardens with pretty good success. I thought I'd experiment in a couple of months when the weather is warmer to see how to adapt the method to SFG. I'll post on my experience when I know more.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  argardener 4/25/2010, 3:41 pm

We love salad too Shoda and can also relate to the extreme heat. I'm headed outside now to plant a container of salad mix close to the house for a.m. exposure and give it a try. Thanks belfrybat for the suggestions of the spinach chard and new zealand, will look for them and give them a try!
Rebecca
argardener

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down