Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix Toplef10Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix I22gcj10Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix Toplef10Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix I22gcj10Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix

3 posters

Go down

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix Empty Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix

Post  Rosie K 6/8/2013, 9:37 pm

Hello,
How I landed here today? I don't know! Very Happy I think I have spent way too much time on the laptop today trying to figure out what to use for the compost for Mel's Mix. I would have so loved to order it from Home Depot but we couldn't justify the shipping ($60). More than the mix . . . so sad. So know I am back to trying to find stuff to put in our 1/3 compost. Went to wal-mart to see what they had... hmmm. Would that be considered using the 'cheap' stuff. There was a 5 blend organic item listed on their website but, of course, our store doesn't carry it. GRRRRRR I so want to do our 3rd SFG the new way. The other two we made this spring were done using the old way. I have had the book for long time.
I finally checked out the New way book from our Library and am so excited about it. Can anyone out there in Mn Land tell me what would be good to use that is easily accessible (from normal stores) for the compost. We do have a bag of Timberline Soil (cow manure and compost) we got a Lowes that I would like to use as 1 type.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this. So if not, I will post my question again where it should go.
Thank you. Looking forward to reading and gleaning from other SFGer's
Rosie K
Rosie K
Rosie K

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix Empty Never used Mel's mix

Post  downs 6/10/2013, 10:32 am

Mad I have been square foot gardening for 6 years and have never used Mel's mix. I have a bag of course verm. compost and spag. moss, and rock dust. When I plant in the square foot I mix this in the soil. I understand that Mel's mix is the best, but when you want to square foot garden and have spent most of your money on lumber to build the garden you do what you can to improve the soil you have.
downs

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix Empty Re: Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix

Post  camprn 6/10/2013, 10:58 am

downs wrote: Mad I have been square foot gardening for 6 years and have never used Mel's mix.
Then clearly you are not using the recipe as promoted by Mel Bartholomew, the founder of SFG.

You are correct in saying by adding the ingredients of Mel's mix to you native soil that this is not SFG. By using the ingredients of Mel's Mix in native soil it will certainly give a boost that patch.

But I am confused, you have the ingredients for the Mel's mix, but chose to add it to your native soil.... why? thinking

Now that being said, do you use the grid and recommended plant spacings and such. How has your garden been the past 6 seasons? Photos please.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix Empty still wondering what is good and easy to buy for compost

Post  Rosie K 6/10/2013, 12:13 pm

Hi Ladies for your posts,
I really want to do it completely Mel's new way. After spending way too much time on the laptop again yesterday, we have decided to bite the bullet and order Mel's Mix from home depot if the shipping hasn't gone up even more. I realize I will still need some compost when I do replant, but I am hoping our own compost will suffice.
Any input would be appreciated
Rosie K
Rosie K

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix Empty Mel's new way

Post  downs 6/10/2013, 1:12 pm

I went back and looked at my first addition of Square foot gardening.
I started in 1995. Back then Mel mixed with the soil. Now He uses the new mix. I have 6 4x4 raised beds. I couldn't afford to fill them with the new mix. So I followed his advice back then. Yes I still use the same planting spacing, I have 3 vertical frames at the back of 3 beds and I use that to grow pole beans, tomatoes, and cuc's. Have a compost pile and tumbler. Get plenty of Veg's. For me and my wife.
give some to my mom and sisters. Sorry no Pictures
downs

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix Empty Re: Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix

Post  camprn 6/10/2013, 1:15 pm

Rosie K wrote:Hi Ladies for your posts,
I really want to do it completely Mel's new way. After spending way too much time on the laptop again yesterday, we have decided to bite the bullet and order Mel's Mix from home depot if the shipping hasn't gone up even more. I realize I will still need some compost when I do replant, but I am hoping our own compost will suffice.
Any input would be appreciated
It is a whole lot cheaper and you will have a superior product if you make your own Mel's mix. In MN you must be able to find farmers with compost for sale. Check Craigslist or Freecycle.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Newbie from Minnesota and struggling with compost mix WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down