Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? Toplef10very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? I22gcj10very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? Toplef10very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? I22gcj10very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

very very newbie question: is plain manure compost?

5 posters

Go down

very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? Empty very very newbie question: is plain manure compost?

Post  lavamom 3/21/2010, 2:39 pm

Hello,

I am just starting to put in my first 4x4 sfg. I have to buy my compost, and like another recent poster am having trouble finding 5 different kinds. I am also confused as to what counts as compost. I noticed that in several responses people suggested going to get chicken or horse manure. Does a bag of manure count as compost? Or does it need to be aged and mixed with other plant materials? Or if I buy a bag of chicken poop, that doesn't say "compost" on it - can I just use that as one of my Mel's Mix composts?

I apologize for asking what must seem like a very basic question - thanks for any help!
lavamom

Back to top Go down

very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? Empty Re: very very newbie question: is plain manure compost?

Post  choksaw 3/21/2010, 2:55 pm

fresh manure of any kind is to "hot" to put into your garden and may damage your plants it needs to age for 8 months to a year befor it will be ready for use if your buying the manure from say lowes or homedepot then its safe to use as its already composted manure. as for finding the 5 diffren types of compost that can be a bit difficult but dont just look for stuff that says compost on it look at other things as well i was able to find cow and chicken manure compost mushroom compost and that was about it for my area so i started looking at bags that were labeled "for shrubs and for roses" and if you look at the back of the bag you will see that they are basicaly a mix of composted material so keep an eye out for those as well.
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

very very newbie question: is plain manure compost? Empty Re: very very newbie question: is plain manure compost?

Post  lavamom 3/21/2010, 2:58 pm

Thank you, that helps. I'll stay away from the fresh manure and droppings. If I look at bags that aren't labelled as compost, is there anything I should stay away from? For example, if it is a shrub/rose mix like you described, with composted materials, but it has perlite in it - that would throw my mix off, so I shouldn't get it, right?
lavamom

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/21/2010, 3:01 pm

perilite wont throw the mix off too much its not reccomended by mel cause it makes him sneeze primarily lol and most of the mix bags as described have peat in them as well so you might need to make some small adjustments on the mix but like mel says closies counts
choksaw
choksaw

Back to top Go down

Post  lavamom 3/21/2010, 4:56 pm

Thank you for the help!

(And what does "Closies counts" mean? I must have missed that.)
lavamom

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/21/2010, 7:32 pm

lol in general terms it basicaly means that the mix is not 100% a little bit more or less here and there wont make that big of a diffrence
choksaw
choksaw

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen 3/21/2010, 10:14 pm

I just got a bunch of manure today, some was aged almost a year and some was fairly fresh.

The aged stuff looked pretty much like the bagged stuff when i layed them side by side on the tarp, and there was no smell, but there were some worms still inside. Worms are ok in my mels mix right? I really hope so i went ahead and made my compost mix.

I spread the fresher stuff in my compost pile. I'll probably post seperately with that question.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/21/2010, 10:24 pm

jerzyjen wrote: Worms are ok in my mels mix right?
yes
jerzyjen wrote: I spread the fresher stuff in my compost pile. I'll probably post seperately with that question.
OK
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 3/22/2010, 9:46 pm

I just posted a response to a similar question about using manure in the Canada forum. Here is a quicky shorter version.

Fresh, uncomposted manure from sheep, cows, or horses is typically full of weed seeds. Digestion alone is not enough to kill these seeds. The manure needs to be composted at high temperatures to kill the seeds before it is used.

If buying make sure package indicates that it was composted.

If taking it direct from a farm -- compost it in your own compost bin/pile if it is fresh. If it is older and has been in a pile for a while outside make sure it is already soil-like in texture without obvious intact pieces of vegetable matter. If you can still see bits of sticks, bark, grass, stems, stem/leaf veins, or leaves the composting was incomplete. If you are not sure it was composted at high temperatures, compost it to be sure. The weed seeds will cause some major weed problems in your SFG if high temperatures were not reached while it was composting.

A compost thermometer is likely a great investment to make, some also double has soil thermometers for dual purpose justification.

A quote from an article on "Keep[ing] Compost Weed Free":
Within a week, temperatures in a properly constructed compost pile will reach 130 degrees. That quickly kills many seeds and stabilizes the composted material. But it takes 30 days of exposure to temperatures of 145 degrees or more to kill seeds from tougher weed species."
See the full article "Keep Compost Weed Free" at link below:
http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/keep-compost-weed-free-time-temperature-and-turning-critical-factors/11747.html

Last edited by bullfrogbabe on 3/22/2010, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info added)
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  lavamom 3/23/2010, 1:57 am

Thank you, that was very helpful. I finally realized that when some people write that they got cow manure, they mean composted cow manure. I did end up buying some steer manure, but it says composted, and seed/weed-free.

I live near some stables, and I am sure I could go get some manure, but wasn't sure if I could use it right away as is - now I understand that I can't. I'll go read the Canada post too.

Thanks again -
lavamom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum