Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Toplef10PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 I22gcj10PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Toplef10PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 I22gcj10PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: June 2013

+11
nurzemjd
walshevak
Kelejan
sanderson
CapeCoddess
donnainzone5
GWN
Goosegirl
boffer
FamilyGardening
gwennifer
15 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: PNW: June 2013

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 12:36 pm

Gwen, I hope you have better luck with cukes and squash in your TTs than I did.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t297p15-building-a-table-top-sfgsome-ideas#163354

FG, are you going to start your broc and cauli earlier next year?  

My spinach is so erratic from planting to planting that I'm about ready to give up on it.  I'm going to try another planting of pole beans tomorrow.  I've never planted them this late, but their maturity time is 60 days, so there's plenty of growing season left, if the weather is decent. I think I'll wait a couple weeks before direct seeding more peas. (No particular reason.)

Every week, I plant a square or two of lettuce and rads, just to see what happens.  It sure feels odd to have a bunch of squares sitting empty, but in a month or so, they'll be getting filled with broccoli, cauliflower, and chard.

I've been fighting leaf miners in my beet leaves for several years.  I finally found some at work, doing their thing.  If I hold a leaf up to the sunlight, I can see them anywhere from pin head size, to almost 3/8 of an inch.  Squish!  I want beets to be one of my staples, so it's been a frustrating battle.  Covering them hasn't worked so far, so hopefully, catching them in the act will.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/24/2013, 4:16 pm

*Quote from boffer*

FG, are you going to start your broc and cauli earlier next year?

Boffer if you are talking about spring planting.....not sure what to do ....this year we started them indoors Feb 2nd and on march 15th we transplanted them out side and they didnt do any real growing until the 1st of May.....we only had a light weight row cover over them so Im wondering if next year we should have plastic on the hoops instead.....watcha think?...boc and cauli are one of our favorite veggies....

if you mean starts for fall harvesting then we already have them going inside and we just up potted them ....they already have thier true leaves Very Happy

sorry to hear spinach is still giving you problems as I remember last year not being a good spinach year for either one of us.....

leaf miners.....glad you were able to squish some of them....im going to have to look them up because im not sure i know what they really look like and wonder if we have had them in our garden and just didnt know it.....maybe we even have eatin some......eeeeek......What a Face

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 4:57 pm

Huh!  

Yes, I meant spring planting for broc and cauli.    I transplanted some in late Feb, and  I'm getting tired of eating broccoli and cauliflower every day. I also stagger planted over several months, and the later plantings are giving me bigger size heads right now.  They were all under plastic hoop houses.  I wish I could I think of a reason yours are so slow.

I've been planting a little bit earlier each year, and I've reached my early limit.  Next year I won't transplant broccoli until later in March to see if I can get bigger heads.  

The leaf miners that like beets are flies about ¼ the size of house flies.  The larva get inbetween the layers of the leaves and make trails.  It took me a while to figure it out because some leaf miners, in pictures, leave very clear precise trails.  My trails look like a fountain pen written on an ink blotter.  (I wonder how old you have to be to understand that analogy?!)  So far, they haven't bothered any other plants.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/24/2013, 5:54 pm

Oh how wonderful to finally have something to read when I checked in on here! PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 998388915 Thanks everyone for posting updates. So nice to hear from you.

Rose, I eat a lot of green onions and my little garden can't keep up with how often I cut them down so I still buy them often from the grocery store. I've had 100% success rate planting the bulbs in my SFG after I cut off and use the greens. That's something I stick in empty spaces all over the place. They start re-growing within the day and if I need to pull them later no biggy - it's not like I invested all this time and energy growing them from seeds. Also as others have mentioned: beans. Very prolific and fast growing they are a good thing to stick in now if you have squares waiting for fall plantings that can wait until September or later. I do think you should let your daughter plant some flowers if you have empty spaces. They can at least attract pollinators, even if she chooses non-edible ones. Maybe encourage her to try ones suitable for cuttings and making floral arrangements with. That's a whole different type of flower growing that takes a certain skill she could work at.

Oh and boffer, thanks for posting that link - I've been meaning to look that up again because I couldn't remember the conclusion you'd made. Well, I don't have any squash not in containers, so I won't know how much better they could have produced! It'll all be new to me. Mine aren't exactly the same, with the black plastic and having bottoms maybe they'll warm up better and stay warmer better? I know my black plastic faux wine barrels I used for potatoes last year and am doing a three sisters garden in this year dry out like crazy and make me nuts. I mulched them really thickly to see if that will help, but now the rain is back so I won't know just yet. Don't you use soil heating cables in some of your table tops?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/24/2013, 6:23 pm

boffer wrote:Huh!  

Yes, I meant spring planting for broc and cauli.    I transplanted some in late Feb, and  I'm getting tired of eating broccoli and cauliflower every day.
Shirley you're not serious. Tell you what - bring me cheers ALL your Broccoli+Cauliflower. Why? I eat up to one pound of each, along with same of cabbage, etc. any day I can get some! For real. Along with a breadbowl-size full of Salad: kale, Cherry-maters, Sweet red+yellow peppers, scallions, English-cukes, Red-cabbage, croutons, & dressing. Yummy! sunny
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/24/2013, 7:06 pm

oh maaaan......just posted a long post and *poof* its gone....eerrrrr

trying this again....

I was hitting PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 1280598131 Boffer on the head for saying he had to much broccoli and cauliflower Smile

I thanked GWEN for the suggestions on the green onions (which by the way I do the same thing....squeeze them in here and there)....but...I was so glad she said something because I had left 2 trays of seedlings out of the green house because I had been working in there and the onion and leeks were getting hit hard by the rain....

drained the water off of them and I think they look fine Smile...so thank you GWEN!...the top container are our cucumbers...and by the way...the seedling tray with the onions and leeks....I love to use these...the starts do great when pulling them out....the roots just slide right out and stay in contact pretty well....

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0095

posted a pic for Boffer to show him how our our cole crops are doing

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0096

made a funny comment about how much lettuce is in that hoop bed

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0097

showed ya how I found this while taking a peak at the garden and how I wanted to wait until our son got home from the movies so he could pull it....PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 3085260134

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0098

asked if anyone knew when it was time to pull up parsnips?

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0099

and if you knew when to pull up turnips?

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0100

showed off our celery that was moved from last year and over wintered in the green house and we let it go to flower

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0101

asked if you all thought these sweet potatoes look right?

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0102

showed how great our bird house gourds are doing

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0104

and was excited to show you a day early what we might be eating tomorrow

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0103

then ALL of my post was gone.....

happy gardening
rose.....who has more to share but afraid to lose it all again.....
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 7:31 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:...I was hitting PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 1280598131 Boffer on the head for saying he had to much broccoli and cauliflower Smile

...and if you knew when to pull up turnips?...

...asked if you all thought these sweet potatoes look right? ...

yahoo

Your cole crops look healthy.  I wish I had that much lettuce left.  My succession planting of lettuce hasn't jibed well with the weather this year.

Most of my turnips are getting nearly baseball size this year, so that's when I pull them.  But you can pull them at any size.

Sweet potatoes?  Bleh!  We had a house rule when my son was growing up, that he had to taste everything served.  He made sure we followed the rules too.  Sweet potatoes are the one veggie that I don't like, and creamed corn is the one veggie that my wife doesn't like, so we only had them on Thanksgiving.  He never caught on!

That carrot ought to put a big smile on your son's face! PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 3085260134
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Empty re: PNW: June 2013

Post  happycamper 6/24/2013, 7:36 pm

Familygardening, my celery looks just like yours!  I am looking forward to harvesting celery seed.  Last year was my first attempt at celery and I had no idea how tall it would get.
I agree with Boffer on the Turnips, good at any stage.
With Parsnips, I dig down about 1 inch with my finger and see how big the top is. Two inches at the top usually makes a good sized parsnip.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/24/2013, 11:54 pm

well lookie what he pulled up after getting home from seeing Superman Very Happy

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 2013_c10

and guess who ate that ripe tomato while I was posting a pic of it today......

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0110

Yep....that cute puppy seen me messing with the first ripe tomato of the season while taking the picture today....and when I went back out....it was GONE...GONE......now I don't know for sure....that she is the guilty party.....but...we have caught her before eating strawberries and sugar snap peas....right off the vine!! Razz

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/25/2013, 3:42 am

FamilyGardening wrote:
I was hitting PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 1280598131 Boffer on the head for saying he had to much broccoli and cauliflower Smile
asked if you all thought these sweet potatoes look right?
PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0102

and was excited to show you a day early what we might be eating tomorrow
PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscf0103
happy gardening
rose....
Hi Rose,
Wait!, everyone's been telling me 'No, you can't grow Sweet potatoes nor Yams in the PNWet. No no"
where's the pouty :(face? But here you are actually succeeding Very Happy Really? Let's just have a whole FIELD of those two. LOL I love Sweet potatoes & Yams. Anything special you gotta do to grow them West of the cascades? and your garden is soo good... cheers
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/25/2013, 4:38 am

littleG....this is the first time for us to try and grow us some sweet potatoes....we are growing them in the green house.....i hear they like the heat....just hope we have enough Very Happy for them to be happy!

Happycamper.....can the saved celery seeds be used like the spice celery seed?

Boffer....funny story about the sweet potatoes and cream corn Razz...we took a peek tonight and the parsnips are still skinny....we did find one of the turnips about the size of an egg.....we just hope we get something out of them both....non of us have tasted parsnips before....hubby said he tasted a turnip and didnt like them....but i told him that a turnip from the store is not the same as one you grew your self...so he is willing to give them a try with the kids and I....so I hope it gets big enough for us each to have a bite albino

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/25/2013, 10:19 am

Rose, your "re-do" post, with your quick version summary of what you'd said really cracked me up!  PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 931411784 It's nice seeing so many pictures - that must have been so frustrating for them to all go *poof*.  Thanks for taking the time to re-post!  This is my fave:
FamilyGardening wrote:PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 2013_c10
What a great pic!  (And he even has a superman shirt that he wore to the movie!).

All the pictures made me want to share mine, even though there's hardly anything yet to see.  Took some last night and will get to them later today I hope.  Crumb I wish I had more beds.  I'm regretting allowing the mini pumpkins.  No room for fall peas, which are my favorite and the most successful crop I can count on.  I'm going to have to figure that out.  thinking
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/25/2013, 11:11 am

FG, when did you plant your carrots, and what kind are they?  Very impressive for this time of year.  praise
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/25/2013, 6:41 pm

boffer wrote:FG, when did you plant your carrots, and what kind are they?  Very impressive for this time of year.  praise

the bigger carrots in the pic are Long Imperator
the others are Ingot Hybrid & Bolero Nates (which seem to be about the same size)

these were planted on 3-8-13 (6 different types of carrots) out in our back garden in Top Hats with spent MM..... squash was grown in these top hats last year....we amended with some pot ash from our wood stove and bone Meal....( just sprinkled it on top and mix in a bit) then mulch with wood chips......

Still waiting to pull up because the bottoms are still thin and small are

Kuroda
Eskimo Hybrid
King Midas

the Long Imperator was seed from last year that we didn't really get much of when planted in another area of the garden....the rest are all new types we are trying

all of the carrots we munched on during dinner last night and were really good!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/26/2013, 2:34 am

Okay here's the pictures I took last night.

I have 2 squares of broccoli, 2 weeks old, surrounded by grocery store green onions in various stages (quarter in the picture for size reference): PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Brocco11

I have 1 square with cucumbers, 2 weeks old, one sprouted a couple of days before the other: PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Cucumb10

I pinched off the top of this pepper plant after transplanting it since it had flower buds already.  My hope was that it would save the energy of fruiting for getting settled in instead.  It hasn't enjoyed our cool, wet June, but is putting out tons of new growth along the stem and will get nice and bushy so I'm happy with that: PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Pepper10

Here's one of the mini pumpkin sprouts, with some extra flowers tucked in the corner that may eventually get overwhelmed by the leaves - we'll see: PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Mini_p10

And this box makes me happy because of all the cute little rows.  The bottom two squares are each planted as half squares of radishes and carrots (carrots have been thinned to two per spot, waiting for true leaves before I pinch off the last one).  Then there's two full squares of dragon's tongue bush beans (with one replacement sproutling).  They have huge leaves!  Will I need to box these in at all to contain them?  And does anyone recognize a particular symptom with the leaves?  The tomato cages are in the last row behind the beans:
PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Beans_10

I didn't bother taking a picture of the lettuce I tried.  Only half of it sprouted and what did is just now barely visible.  I plopped the stump of a romaine head on one side last night.  I tried re-growing them in glasses of water inside and it worked, so we'll see if this way works too.

All in all I'm having lots of fun with my new little garden.  I'd forgotten how fun it is to have something to anticipate and look forward to, what with counting down succession plantings and watching for sprouts to show.  I'm glad to be up and running again.
PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 1787710427
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/26/2013, 10:38 am

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Food-a10

It's not 'Big Stuff'  worthy, but there's a few meals here

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscn3018

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscn3019

It's hard to believe that it's worth $7.85 at today's Safeway price (3.9 lb @ $1.99/lb)
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/26/2013, 11:05 am

OMG! What a beauty! I am so jealous!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/26/2013, 12:28 pm

boffer wrote:PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Dscn3019

It's hard to believe that it's worth $7.85 at today's Safeway price (3.9 lb @ $1.99/lb)

clap That is so cool! Is that the price per pound of organic cauli?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/26/2013, 2:20 pm

Niiiiice! What a Face When I grow up I wanna try growing those. What variety is it, Boffer?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/26/2013, 6:19 pm

That is one gorgeous cauli!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/26/2013, 6:30 pm

gwennifer wrote:...Is that the price per pound of organic cauli?
Oops! No. Today's organic price is $2.29.  So it would be $8.93.

CapeCoddess wrote:Niiiiice!  What a Face  When I grow up I wanna try growing those.  What variety is it, Boffer?
CC
Wouldn't you have time if you started now? Wink

This is a Snow Crown from TSC.  Their catalog description says, 'May manifest a delicate pink blush when maturing in the hotter parts of summer.'

You may be able to see that the center part of the head has no color.  I had covered the head with a leaf when it was smaller to blanch it, but the head grew and the leaf shriveled!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/26/2013, 7:07 pm

TSC just got more busy PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 931411784 that 'Snow Crown' is another Beauty thanks
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/26/2013, 7:18 pm

Ha! Snow Crown is already on my list, along with Early Snowball and White Sails. I just don't have the space....yet.

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 1787710427

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/26/2013, 7:48 pm

Wow boffer! That's awesome PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 3170584802 I'm kind of cyclops that perfect looking tomato too.

PNW: June 2013 - Page 4 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/26/2013, 11:26 pm

smiles

drooling Pass the ranch!! hungry

hugs
rose.....silly me who is still waiting for cole crops to head up!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum