Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? Toplef10Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? I22gcj10Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? Toplef10Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? I22gcj10Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence?

4 posters

Go down

Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? Empty Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence?

Post  Windmere 5/30/2013, 6:25 am

Hello all,

The threat of deer and rabbits in my area makes me worried about protecting my flowers and veggies. I'd like to know if anyone has used "Liquid Fence" with good success. I found out about it after talking to my neighbor a few days ago. He uses it for his roses, and he says it works for him.

I attempted a search in the forum regarding this product, but could not find a post about it. Various websites show mixed results. One constant is that is really smells bad. I understand that, if you don't use gloves, the stench can cause your skin to smell awful for a while.

If you've used this product, let us know how you fared. Thanks everyone.

Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? Empty Re: Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence?

Post  cheyannarach 6/3/2013, 1:07 pm

Have you found out anything about this yet! I would love to hear how it works because deer are my hardest pest to compete with!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? Empty Re: Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence?

Post  yolos 6/3/2013, 1:47 pm

I used it the first year I had a garden in Brooks. It smells to high heaven. You have to keep reapplying it (I think after rain but can't really remember). It did not work for me because I always forgot to reapply it per the instructions. The second year I tried an electric fence but I worried about shocking my grandson. The third year we moved the dogs dog house right next to the garden. No more deer eating my garden.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 6/3/2013, 1:48 pm

Is this basically cayote urine? I've heard of successful use of something similar but have not personally had to use it since we have a 6ft fence. I've also heard that owl and snake decoys have some positive effect on birds, rodents and small animals.

Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? Empty I bet it smells... it's basically rotten eggs

Post  Windmere 6/3/2013, 7:49 pm

yolos wrote:I used it the first year I had a garden in Brooks. It smells to high heaven. You have to keep reapplying it (I think after rain but can't really remember). It did not work for me because I always forgot to reapply it per the instructions. The second year I tried an electric fence but I worried about shocking my grandson. The third year we moved the dogs dog house right next to the garden. No more deer eating my garden.

Hey yolos,
Thanks for your response. I've read about how reapplying liquid fence after a rain is essential for its continued success. That's a bit of a nuisance. However, for me, an electric fence and dogs aren't an option. It's s definite plus that your dogs keep away the deer! Makes me want to adopt a rescue if not for that reason alone. We have three indoor rescue cats... useless of course (grin).

Lemonie, the main ingredient of liquid fence is rotten eggs. As yolos says, it stinks to high heaven. I found a link that lists all the ingredients here:

http://www.gardenguides.com/126554-ingredients-liquid-fence.html

Home Depot has a 1 qt premixed bottle for 12.92 and Lowe's has it for 12.98. Amazon offers it for for 14.88 with free shipping if you have a Prime membership (which costs 79.00 a year). There are larger size concentrated options, but they are more expensive. Personally, I want to just give it a good try before I commit to spending more at this point.

I've found that there is also a granular version of this product. It costs a bit more. I've read mixed reviews. The one Home Depot review said it did not work at all. The Amazon reviews (the three helpful ones) indicated that it that it works well. From what I can see, the main advantage of using the granular is that it has a much lighter (if you could call it that) smell. I've learned from many sources that, when using the liquid, it is a good idea to use gloves because the smell takes quite a while to dissipate if you get it on your skin.

For now, I think I'm going to get the 1 qt premixed bottle and see how it works in my area.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had success with Liquid Fence? Empty Granular

Post  Windmere 7/1/2013, 1:51 pm

Hello all,

I just wanted to give an update about my experience so far with Liquid Fence.  I ended up buying the granular version because it's supposed to have more longevity in the garden and it does not smell as strongly as the liquid version.

Our first experience was with a rabbit.  I sprinkled some of the granular liquid fence around my daughter's carrot patch.  My daughter reported to me that she saw a rabbit in our yard.  It approached my daughter's carrot patch... it whiffed a bit and immediately made a U-turn and left.  My daughter saw all of this from a distance.  It did not seed her, so it was not spooked away.

So, that's our first experience.  I hope it continues to discourage critters.  It has rained quite a bit, so I have to make numerous applications.  Rain washes it away.  I'm toying with an idea of making sheltered deposit spots around the beds that will stay dry in rain storms.

Happy gardening!

Wind
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down