Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Toplef10Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow I22gcj10Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Toplef10Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow I22gcj10Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow

+5
walshevak
RoOsTeR
southern gardener
camprn
happytransplant
9 posters

Go down

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Empty Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow

Post  happytransplant 5/27/2013, 12:23 pm

Hi There,
I really hope someone can help. I planted 1 SFG in a 4X4 raised bed using Mel's mix that I had shipped from Phoenix to Chicago, made a cage for it, water with sun warmed water, used exact spacing for plants, etc.

I planted chard, kale, broccoli, and other greens in mid-April and they are just sitting there exactly like they were when transplanted except for some yellowing of the leaves. I had given some to my neighbor who planted them in the ground and they are growing beautifully for him. I also stuck a few plants in the ground that I didn't have room for in the raised bed and they are doing quite well also.

The area gets plenty of sun and when it's too much I cover with shade cloth to protect the plants since they're mainly cool weater plants. There isn't any damage from bugs either. I already added some good quality compost to see if that would help and it hasn't.
What can I do to help my little plant friends? It's very sad to see them doing so poorly...
Thanks for any suggestions you may have,
HappyTransplant (not really at the moment Sad )
happytransplant
happytransplant

Back to top Go down

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Empty Re: Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow

Post  camprn 5/27/2013, 12:27 pm

Sorry you are having less than stellar results. Do you have any room between the top of the Mel's mix and the top of the box? If you do I suggest topdressing with an inch or two of compost, homemade or a blend of store bought. Are you watering well? water a lot? A little? what has your weather been like?

Welcome to the SFG Forum!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Empty Re: Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow

Post  happytransplant 5/27/2013, 1:04 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly. I do have some room, it's a nine inch box is filled with about 7 inches of Mel's mix.
We've had a good bit of rain so I've only been watering when it's been dry for a few days and have been giving maybe a cupful to each plant.
At first the box was in an area that puddled and I thought perhaps it was too wet so I moved the entire thing, transplanted everything, moved the soil, to a new location that doesn't puddle.
I checked the soil just now and it's moist but not wet. I'm used to working with regular ground soil so I guess I don't know what it's supposed to feel like. Is it possible that I didn't moisten enough when setting it up and maybe the plants are not getting enough water? I did add quite a bit of water to it and mixed it in well before adding each layer of Mel's mix....
Also, the leaves on the broccoli plants and the lettuce, chard, etc are curving in towards the center of the plant. The broccoli I planted in the ground is not doing that and is quite a bit larger as well. The leaves seem to open outward to let the sun in.
BTW, I've never posted on a forum before and couldn't figure out how to get a post started. I saw a "new post" button on here and used it. Is there a button is the other areas that I'm missing? Smile
Thanks for your help,
happytransplant
happytransplant

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/27/2013, 3:56 pm

We had the same results with the Pre Made mix...I'm assuming that's what you are using?
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/27/2013, 4:37 pm

Southern, do you have any helpful suggestions you'd like to add?

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Empty pre made mix

Post  happytransplant 5/27/2013, 4:39 pm

Hi Southern Gardener,
Yes, I'm using the pre-made mix, had it shipped 1700 miles thinking it was the very best to use. Disappointing as it is I'm relieved to know that's what it is, I couldn't figure it out.
What did you do to correct the problem?
happytransplant
happytransplant

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/27/2013, 4:43 pm

happytransplant wrote:Hi Southern Gardener,
Yes, I'm using the pre-made mix, had it shipped 1700 miles thinking it was the very best to use. Disappointing as it is I'm relieved to know that's what it is, I couldn't figure it out.

Are you positive it's the mix? Unless you've had it tested, there could be many other factors involved. Watering could be one of them. Mel's Mix takes an incredible amount of water to wet thoroughly.

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/27/2013, 4:47 pm

happytransplant wrote:Hi Southern Gardener,
What did you do to correct the problem?

You can PM me if you'd like to know what the correction for us was. I can't be positive that's what your problem is, but it sounds exactly like what we experienced. We are in California...a long way from you so I don't know if it's a problem in your area.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/24/2013, 3:40 pm

Hey Happytransplant, did you ever get your garden up and running?
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Help? Followed SFG to a T and plants won't grow Empty all good

Post  happytransplant 8/24/2013, 5:44 pm

Hi There,
My gardens are growing wonderfully now.  First I fed them a kelp solution and then a week or so later added some fertilizer and voila!  Everybody was very happy.  I think it was a nitrogen deficiency but am not sure.
Thanks for asking and hope your gardens are growing splendidly!!!
Sue

p.s.  I started another bed and didn't bother making Mel's mix.  I just picked up some potting soil, manure, and compost and tossed them together.  Planted my fall garden three weeks ago(just seeded the soil)  in this mix and I already have spinach and arugula ready to harvest and carrots, chard, kale, onions, and beets are coming along nicely.
I love the SFG concept but no longer have faith in the particular products.
happytransplant
happytransplant

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/24/2013, 5:54 pm

Great news! so happy for you. What kind of manure and compost did you use in your new beds? I've heard good things about the kelp solutions. What kind did you use, and how much etc? I love to learn!! Congrats again!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  happytransplant 8/24/2013, 7:21 pm

I can't remember what kind of manure and compost I used.  Just whatever they happened to have at Home Depot.  I think I was able to find organic compost but not manure.

The kelp I think I got from Johnny's Seeds online several years ago.  It survived several moves and being left out in my greenhouse in the Utah desert for a number of years as well.  I would just mix a tbsp. or two into some hot water until it fully dissolved and then either pour it towards the roots of the plants or spray it on the leaves.  It really helps leafy greens to spray on the leaves, they just love it!!
In this case the plants were so tiny I just applied around the base and within 5 or 6 days the little ones had finally begun to grow - happy days!

Hope this helps - have a fabulous weekend!!
happytransplant
happytransplant

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/24/2013, 9:48 pm

The pre-mixed Mel's Mix has presented problems to some others.  I would venture to say that if you made your own, even using commercial composts and manures, you would have had success.  I am not recommending the pre-mix to people I am helping get a garden started.  

I used the Moo-nure from Lowes plus mushroom and some of the forest products composts, but I added Black Hen which is technically a fertilizer, but is made from composted chicken manure and have had great success.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 8/24/2013, 11:35 pm

This has been my first year for SFG, and my success exceeded my greatest expectations.
I do believe the most important factor in this type of gardening is the compost.
Feeling this way from the very start has, I believe attributed to my success.
I know exactly what is going into the compost, also add all goodies that are accessible to me,
even if this takes searching for more and more material.
The 1 item I believe that's helped me along more than any others is the 12 five gallon buckets
of fresh cow manure I added this past spring.
Worms developed from that batch, now I have worms everywhere in both 4 x 4 piles of compost.
I'm enjoying watching my compost develop as much as my garden..
I'd suggest  if your able to get a good start on your compost for next season, you'll have a banner crop.

I did not have enough of compost to start this past spring, I picked up a whole bunch from our local re-cycle plant.
After asking the MGR what was used, he told me leaves, brush, and grass clippings.
I screened all of it and it looked very nice, as I used it I added cow manure (bagged), aged horse manure, chicky doo doo, mushroom manure from last year, and an organic mix that had good reports.
These additives I believe helped me alot
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/25/2013, 12:12 am

Happytransplant I am so glad you were successful!  JimmyCee's suggestions to make your own compost is a great idea if you are able!  He didn't have all the ingredients in the compost he bought but found more than enough of the rest that were exactly what he needed to make his MM great.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  batmap 8/25/2013, 12:48 am

RoOsTeR wrote:Are you positive it's the mix? Unless you've had it tested, there could be many other factors involved. Watering could be one of them. Mel's Mix takes an incredible amount of water to wet thoroughly.
I agree with RoOsTeR, you may not be watering enough. AFAIK, the above-ground design is supposed to improve drainage... as long as there is enough peat moss (bulk) to allow some oxygen retention in the soil in a properly mixed MM recipe, you likely can not over-water for an above-ground setup. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Do you have a drip-watering system, use hose, or a cup as you mentioned?
batmap
batmap

Male Posts : 70

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 8/25/2013, 9:52 am

I bet it's a nutrient problem in the soil mix you are using...I think many beginners have problems with yellowing, stunted plants until they get their Mels Mix "seasoned" with organic fertilizer the first year, then high quality home-made compost (at least 5 types of source material) in following years.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down