Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
compost screen - should have done this last year Toplef10compost screen - should have done this last year 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

compost screen - should have done this last year I22gcj10compost screen - should have done this last year 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
compost screen - should have done this last year Toplef10compost screen - should have done this last year 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

compost screen - should have done this last year I22gcj10compost screen - should have done this last year 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

compost screen - should have done this last year

+6
llama momma
Amethyst42
mrwes40
sanderson
southern gardener
landarch
10 posters

Go down

compost screen - should have done this last year Empty compost screen - should have done this last year

Post  landarch 5/14/2013, 11:53 pm

finally broke down and made a compost screen this year (steel frame, 1/4" galv wire mesh, steel support rod down the middle) and ran a few tubs of material through just to test it out...worked awesome. It's amazing how many rocks, sticks, etc. can be removed to make some really nice material. I shred alot of bur oak leaves (about the size of a small violin) and they take several years to break down, especially the petioles.

I have about two pick-up loads of material to sift that should be ready soon...one can never have too much compost. My compost contains manures (horse, cow, rabbit, chicken), garden and kitchen scraps, shredded leaves, lawn clippings, and Starbucks coffee grounds).

compost screen - should have done this last year Siftin10
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

compost screen - should have done this last year Empty Re: compost screen - should have done this last year

Post  southern gardener 5/15/2013, 2:36 am

looks like a nice screen. we also screened this time for the first time. WOW, is it nice to work with! My nephew and his friend did ours, they did it in no time, I was amazed at how quickly they did it. Almost a full cubic yard. We ended up making 3 cubic yards of MM with it, and it's working GREAT!! We will screen in the future as well. It really doesn't take that much time, and for us, is worth the effort. Thanks for the picture. We need to make an "official" screen
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

compost screen - should have done this last year Empty Re: compost screen - should have done this last year

Post  landarch 5/15/2013, 7:52 am

very nice...for mine half the fun was making the screen as the parts were all scavenged from a friend's pole shed. Rigid metal frame was from an old retail display case, wire mesh wsa scrap, and the support rod in the middle was from an old hard sign. Took about 10 minutes to assemble.

I screened material that had been composting for a couple years...it was something that looked fun enough for my three year old daughter to help with but some of the material was a bit too wet for her liking..."yucky dad".
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/3/2013, 2:48 am

Landarch, Just re-noticed your 1/4" screen for compost. Mine is 2' x 2' square, made of 2" x 4", and very heavy for me. I think I will "borrow" your design.

I screened or chopped all the raw materials for my new compost cage and I dread using the "clunker" for screening the finished product.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 7/3/2013, 12:53 pm

sanderson wrote:Landarch,  Just re-noticed your 1/4" screen for compost.  Mine is 2' x 2' square, made of 2" x 4", and very heavy for me.  I think I will "borrow" your design.

I screened or chopped all the raw materials for my new compost cage and I dread using the "clunker" for screening the finished product.

I made a screen a couple of years ago and here's the link to the design I used.

I works very well and sits on top of my wheel barrel.

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  Amethyst42 7/3/2013, 10:03 pm

It's invaluable! I've been using the screen for our fire pit, and putting it into an old garbage can, and it fits just right. I might make a 'legitimate" one someday, but for now I am quite happy with this. So many sticks and rocks get in there. But thanks to the screen, just pure dirt comes out!
Amethyst42
Amethyst42

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/4/2013, 6:32 am

For a quick low tech version, I've been using a piece of hardware cloth and bent up the four sides.   Fill er' up and shake.  It's small enough that I can relax and sit while sifting.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 7/4/2013, 9:12 am

I made this screen about 25 years ago, has a stainless steel mesh.
It has been a work horse for me, everyone should have a screen, can do many tasks.
Fits nicely on a wheelbarrow.
compost screen - should have done this last year Screen10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2013, 3:14 pm

Jimmy Cee, Would you be so kind as to post more photos of your screen? Top, bottom, corner design, fasteners, etc. It looks like a winner and I would like to build something with 2" x 2" that would be lighter than my heavy 2" x 4", 2 foot square screener. Thanks
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/4/2013, 4:31 pm

llama momma wrote:For a quick low tech version, I've been using a piece of hardware cloth and bent up the four sides.   Fill er' up and shake.  It's small enough that I can relax and sit while sifting.

That's what we use too LM. I have a rigid fence type thing I set over the trash barrel. I use the hardware cloth screen on top of the fencing and as we are screening, it's falling right into our storage barrels. My nephew and friend did 4 barrels in no time!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/4/2013, 5:25 pm

Yeah! Simple is best in my book.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 7/4/2013, 11:27 pm

Sanderson, here are a couple more pics.
I used 2 x 2 treated lumber, cant recall if I purchased them or ripped them.
2 foot square is what it measures, that has worked for me in my wheel barrow
Screws were used and when they loosened up I used some wire ties I had laying around.
They worked, still holding so I'm not concerned about that.
The wire mesh, I know I acquired at work, It's light, heavy duty, and will certainly outlast me.
I usually use heavy gloves to rub across and sift, sometimes I'll just scrape with a trowel.
I also use a larger plastic milk crate to get the larger material out, that cuts down on some work.
compost screen - should have done this last year Screen11
compost screen - should have done this last year Screen12
compost screen - should have done this last year Screen13
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/4/2013, 11:37 pm

I like the sifters that some of the archaeologists use. The screen frame is on legs and can be shaken back and forth to allow stuff to sift through.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

compost screen - should have done this last year WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/5/2013, 12:01 am

Jimmy Cee, Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures. Sanderson
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/5/2013, 6:59 pm

camprn wrote:I like the sifters that some of the archaeologists use. The screen frame is on legs and can be shaken back and forth to allow stuff to sift through.

Someone build me one, lol!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 7/5/2013, 7:32 pm

I find shaking my screen difficult due to my physical limitations. I just rake the compost back and forth over the screen with a trowel or small shovel until nothing more falls thru and then empty it out and put another round in.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/5/2013, 7:44 pm

Bnoles, Ditto. For me a trowel or gloves. Thinking about a size to fit over my cement skreet pan that I use for mixing MM or potting on top of the picnic table. Standing is easier on the back.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down