Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How big a screen for sifting compost? Toplef10How big a screen for sifting compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How big a screen for sifting compost? I22gcj10How big a screen for sifting compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How big a screen for sifting compost? Toplef10How big a screen for sifting compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How big a screen for sifting compost? I22gcj10How big a screen for sifting compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How big a screen for sifting compost?

+10
mrwes40
floyd1440
Kelejan
yolos
boffer
CapeCoddess
Pepper
llama momma
moldeen85
toledobend
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How big a screen for sifting compost? Empty How big a screen for sifting compost?

Post  toledobend 7/18/2012, 11:40 am

I want to make a screen to sift some of my compost.. What do you suggest, 1/2" or 1/4" metal hardware cloth, or use something else?
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

How big a screen for sifting compost? Empty Re: How big a screen for sifting compost?

Post  moldeen85 7/18/2012, 11:47 am

My family and garden assistant all hated the 1/4" stuff. They said it was too small which made it more work. That being said, it depends on what you are trying to sift out. If you don't mind some chunkieness, go for the 1/2", if you want it really clean then I'd go the smaller. study Just my thoughts.

Good luck!
moldeen85
moldeen85

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

How big a screen for sifting compost? Empty Re: How big a screen for sifting compost?

Post  toledobend 7/18/2012, 11:50 am

Forgot to ask, do you just sift it or rub some through?
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/18/2012, 12:33 pm

Hi
I've been using 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I cut a square piece and bent up each side a about 6 inches high to contain the compost as I sift and bounce it around a bit. I sit on a foot stool next to the compost pile and sift away, adding more with a trowel. I would not rub it in cause the big chunks are not ready. The big stuff gets thrown back to the compost heap to compost. The results are wonderful and seedlings can push through very easily. I read that compost continues to break down for up to 2 years, isn't that great how we keep adding after every harvested square, keeping the nutrition at an excellent level.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 7/18/2012, 12:38 pm

I built a screen using 1/2 hardware cloth(welded wire really). It was to large for my top soil so I built another screen that fits inside the other one. It is 1/4 inch now I can rub through either acording to what I need. Thought I had a picture but don't; will get and post later. The rig fits over my wheel barrow to catch the cleaned stuff. I yield to llama momma for use on compost. How big a screen for sifting compost? 3170584802
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/18/2012, 12:55 pm

I use milk crates that I fill up and shake over the wheel barrow. The squares in the crates are probably about an inch wide. Not the easiest method but it works perfectly and gives me a GREAT work out!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/18/2012, 1:49 pm

I screen with ½ inch hardware cloth for the initial fill of the boxes.

Then, I screen to ¼ inch for the compost I add for re-plentishing the squares.

The ½ inch gets sifted. The ¼ gets sifted, but if it's dampish, it needs to be rubbed.

The ¼ mainly screens out little pebbles.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/18/2012, 3:24 pm

I use 1/4 inch hardware cloth wrapped around a frame made of 2"x2" wood. I can't stand having bigger pieces of compost in my way when I am planting seeds. I ususally just shake it into a wheel barrow. But my compost is usually moist so, if I have to, I rub it against the screen.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/18/2012, 5:47 pm

boffer wrote:I screen with ½ inch hardware cloth for the initial fill of the boxes.

Then, I screen to ¼ inch for the compost I add for re-plentishing the squares.

The ½ inch gets sifted. The ¼ gets sifted, but if it's dampish, it needs to be rubbed.

The ¼ mainly screens out little pebbles.

I do the same. Works very well.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/18/2012, 5:55 pm

Ha! This is funny.
Just sift it already! Also, not everyone sifts either.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/18/2012, 8:21 pm

yolos wrote:I use 1/4 inch hardware cloth wrapped around a frame made of 2"x2" wood. I can't stand having bigger pieces of compost in my way when I am planting seeds. I ususally just shake it into a wheel barrow. But my compost is usually moist so, if I have to, I rub it against the screen.

I made a screen made out of hardware cloth as well but do not know the size; hopefully it is 1/4 inch. Now I decided to design mine so the material sifted will fall into my wheel barrow as well. To date I have not have any finished compost so have not screened any yet.

Now I secured my mesh to my 2x2 fram with a stapling gun, do you think that will be strong enough?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/18/2012, 8:54 pm

Now I secured my mesh to my 2x2 fram with a stapling gun, do you think that will be strong enough?.
Floyd - I also used a staple gun to attach my hardware cloth to the wooden frame. But with a heavy load of compost in the sifter, the staples started to come out. So I then used some brads (u shaped nails) to strengthen it anywhere the staples were coming out.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 7/19/2012, 3:45 pm

Thanks for the advice
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/19/2012, 4:14 pm

They make a U shaped staples for wire fencing that are pounded in with a hammer. Roofing nails (they have a wide head and are in the neighborhood of 1 inch long) are what I use.

I've also layed the hardware cloth on the bottom, then cut 1x2s to fit each side, and screwed them on. The edges of the cloth don't catch on things (like my bare hand) that way.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/19/2012, 7:39 pm

boffer wrote:They make a U shaped staples for wire fencing that are pounded in with a hammer. Roofing nails (they have a wide head and are in the neighborhood of 1 inch long) are what I use.

I've also layed the hardware cloth on the bottom, then cut 1x2s to fit each side, and screwed them on. The edges of the cloth don't catch on things (like my bare hand) that way.

Checked my basement and found some decking screw 1 1/4 inches long and some washers as well which I may use, but I like the 1x2 pieces to brace the hardware cloth..I think it would last longer.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 7/20/2012, 6:39 am

Here's a web link to the plans I used to make my compost screen/sifter.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/compost-sifter-screen-sieve.php

http://www.ci.glendale.ca.us/public_works/compost_screens.aspx
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 7/20/2012, 5:47 pm

I like that sliding sifter! It seems easy enough to get one of my children to help me and not appear like it's work. My husband is finishing my sifter similiar to the first picture with handles, but it looks like he'll have to add the tray that straddles the wheelbarrow!

Thanks for the references.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/20/2012, 7:27 pm

This is my sifter:

How big a screen for sifting compost? 100_1710

I fill it and shake it up and down, and side to side over the wheel barrow. rock on

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/20/2012, 8:03 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:This is my sifter:

I fill it and shake it up and down, and side to side over the wheel barrow. rock on

CC

Now that is as simple yet efficient as it gets. Perhaps I am over thinking the screening process
thanks
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 7/21/2012, 5:20 am

@Rose

Don't forget to varnish the bottom and top frame, and rubbing the candle wax on the two. Makes operation much easier.

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 7/21/2012, 9:44 am

CapeCoddess wrote:This is my sifter:

CC

Leave it to a New Englander to come up with a thrifty solution. I was just getting ready to buy the materials for a sifter when I came across this!
TY TY TY CC!!!
Now to find one! LOL Used to be able to find them everywhere.

BTW, CC - where on The Cape do you live? I may have asked this before but I have a sieve for a brain lately.
I have a former student who now is a librarian in Denis (?). I'll have to check.
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/21/2012, 10:19 am

I've used the milk crate method myself and if you want to break it down a little farther, you can cut some hardware cloth and push it down in the crate for even finer sifting.
I must confess however, I've pretty much stopped sifting my compost altogether. A couple of times in my laziness I just added unsifted compost to my beds. After a good watering or two, I noticed I couldn't tell a difference from the sifted stuff thinking I haven't sifted at all since.

How big a screen for sifting compost? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/21/2012, 3:16 pm

[quote="SwampCatNana"

BTW, CC - where on The Cape do you live? I may have asked this before but I have a sieve for a brain lately.
.[/quote]

1/4" or 1/2"?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/21/2012, 8:02 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I've used the milk crate method myself and if you want to break it down a little farther, you can cut some hardware cloth and push it down in the crate for even finer sifting.
I must confess however, I've pretty much stopped sifting my compost altogether. A couple of times in my laziness I just added unsifted compost to my beds. After a good watering or two, I noticed I couldn't tell a difference from the sifted stuff thinking I haven't sifted at all since.
Now I like that idea even better, just add it in as is kinda like mother nature would do.
So here is my question if I decided not to sift, would it be better to add it in the fall and let it break down in the garden during the winter?
thinking
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 7/21/2012, 8:15 pm

FOR TOP SOIL here is what I made to fit my wheel barrow. I used 1/2 in hardware cloth, cut to fit inside the outer rails, stapled to hold in place covered w/ firing strips for a better hold screwed to frame for strength. Note the beveled cut at front of firing strips; I messed up on my measuring. The firing strips keep the rig from sliding off the sides of the barrow, the end 2x4's hold it in place front to rear. Note the handle at the rear of the screen edge, there is another in the front rail, makes it easier to handle esp emptying. How big a screen for sifting compost? P7213210
I found the 1/2 in too large for screening topsoil so I added another box that just fits inside the first one with 1/4 wire. It is built the same as the first How big a screen for sifting compost? P7213211
To use the smaller I place it inside the first(the screened material falls through the larger holes just fine with out any special aligning of the screens). The firing strips keep it raised so it pulls out easily to empty. How big a screen for sifting compost? P7213212
Of course it can be used seperatly.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next