Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Container tomatoes with curly leaves Toplef10Container tomatoes with curly leaves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Container tomatoes with curly leaves I22gcj10Container tomatoes with curly leaves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Container tomatoes with curly leaves Toplef10Container tomatoes with curly leaves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Container tomatoes with curly leaves I22gcj10Container tomatoes with curly leaves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Container tomatoes with curly leaves

4 posters

Go down

Container tomatoes with curly leaves Empty Container tomatoes with curly leaves

Post  mapspringer 5/10/2013, 3:37 pm

I have 3 large containers that house hybrid tomatoes that I started from seed. They have really started to curl their leaves (new ones.) The same varieties planted in my SFG boxes are thriving and normal. I had a ton of extra perlite from a previous experiment, so I layered it about 6 inches deep in the bottom of the containers. Then, a mix of probably 8" deep compost and vermiculite went on top to plant the tomatoes. There are 4 drain holes in the bottom. It's been a very wet spring so far, and I have a feeling I know what might be causing the curls. I'd like to hear community diagnoses. Thanks!

Container tomatoes with curly leaves Imgp6310

Container tomatoes with curly leaves Imgp6311
mapspringer
mapspringer

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Container tomatoes with curly leaves Empty Re: Container tomatoes with curly leaves

Post  mapspringer 5/10/2013, 5:50 pm

** EDIT **
It's not only the containers, but 2 of the 6 in my beds as well.
We've definitely had some colds nights and lots of rain this spring. Maybe it's that!?
mapspringer
mapspringer

Back to top Go down

Container tomatoes with curly leaves Empty Re: Container tomatoes with curly leaves

Post  littlejo 5/10/2013, 6:05 pm

It could be from the cold, but it will be the leaves that are most exposed to the weather. In my (not professional) opinion, I'd say calcium deficiency. Add some pwd. milk or gypsum to the soil around plant, gently stir in, and water to let it get down to roots.
Throw a old sheet over plants on cold nights will prevent frostbite. Are the leaves burnt or just curled?
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  mapspringer 5/14/2013, 10:50 pm

Answered! I conferred with the local extension agent and after taking one look at the plant, he said, "that's a classic case of herbicide damage." It turns out that (I believe) a neighbor had treated her lawn for weeds and my plants caught some overspray. The agent said that even when folks use a "weed and feed", the weed granule can vaporize and drift in a breeze. So, I've pruned a couple and am leaving the others to see if they make a return!
mapspringer
mapspringer

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 5/14/2013, 11:14 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't even think of that! It's a d__ shame when neighbors don't think of others or our planet.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2013, 6:36 am

I love my Coop Extension Agent! Glad you got an answer.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Container tomatoes with curly leaves WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/15/2013, 8:20 am

mapspringer wrote:Answered! I conferred with the local extension agent and after taking one look at the plant, he said, "that's a classic case of herbicide damage." It turns out that (I believe) a neighbor had treated her lawn for weeds and my plants caught some overspray. The agent said that even when folks use a "weed and feed", the weed granule can vaporize and drift in a breeze. So, I've pruned a couple and am leaving the others to see if they make a return!
This is a problem for me with the bagged compost used to make my MM. All kinds of junk is used on the yard waste that is collected and composted to make the bags of compost that I buy to make my mix. There is no way to (easily) know what I have until my plants react. I like to use just home-made (home-grown?) compost but in a small urban yard with very little grass to feed to it, it just doesn't go far enough. So I roll the dice and take a chance with the bagged stuff to expand my gardens. Happens every year......... did not know the tomato leaf curl was yet another victim of bad compost, so thanks for posting that.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down