Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What building material?  And how high?   Toplef10What building material?  And how high?   1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What building material?  And how high?   I22gcj10What building material?  And how high?   14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What building material?  And how high?   Toplef10What building material?  And how high?   1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What building material?  And how high?   I22gcj10What building material?  And how high?   14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What building material? And how high?

3 posters

Go down

What building material?  And how high?   Empty What building material? And how high?

Post  lzalvis 5/9/2013, 10:28 pm

Background: I've read the book. I live in 7a/b (Atlanta, GA) on a small suburban lot. I've done a couple of 4x4 SFGs for the past few years to get the hang of it. One is a traditional 6-inch high-on-the-ground type. The other is 10 inches deep and waist high. *hopefully* by next year, I will have moved a gi-normous shed that is sitting right in all my full sun. SO, I hope to be able to plan well and get more garden in!!

My questions right now:
1) How high/deep can I make my boxes? My raised garden that is waist-high is one that we purchased and assembled (so it was $$). But I LOVE the height of it. I have back problems, and I love not having to kneel and bend. so I know that when I make a larger garden, I will need something higher than 6 inches. I"m wondering how high I can build on the ground (which is more expensive to fill). Versus buying more to-be-assembled raised beds which cost more, but require less filling.

2) IF I built them on the ground, what kind of building options do I have? Mine are done in Cedar. But I"ve seen cinder blocks, and a corrugated aluminum (for housing?). I want to explore my options, cost, and ease of use (as I will be the primary constructor....).

I"m excited to possibly be building in a big space next year!

EDITED: The approximate space I'll have if shed is moved is about 15'x25'. And, I"m totally open to doing a combination of on the ground and elevated beds (waist high).
lzalvis

Back to top Go down

What building material?  And how high?   Empty Re: What building material? And how high?

Post  Turan 5/10/2013, 12:23 am

Do a search in the forum for table top gardens. People have come up with some great working ideas for these.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

What building material?  And how high?   Empty Re: What building material? And how high?

Post  plantoid 5/10/2013, 4:31 am

What building material?  And how high?   Compostampspringflowers024_zpsce62ecaa

I too have various disabilities and ill health . This is my answer to rickety table top beds and having to rebuild them every five or six years .
They are now into their third year .picture taken a few days ago in May 2013 .
I have about 240 sq feet of such beds containing veg in the rear gardens and flowers on the frontage , because of the slope of my land there is a step of 15 inches or so . These beds help make the retaining walls as well as give me two heights I can work from . All the dividing walls are properly keyed in bricks for maximum cell strength ...no wire ties etc used .

Yes, these initiqally these beds were expensive when set against a simple wooden frame made of scrap wood . They should see me turn my toes up & migrate the the great ANSFG upon high or down below and then some .

These beds are 36 inches tall and obviously can be built to a far greater height.
They were constructed with a hole through the foundations and with weep holes at the first course of bricks for drainage .

Initially I had them filled with neat stable muck & straw which I wettted well every day and covered in a tarp to get it to sweat and drop down , then a week or so later filled level with the top with leaf mould and again watered heavily & recovered every day till it dropped down a foot or so .
I then added my MM to about 9 inches deep and when that had settled several months later topped the beds ( grew some crops mean time ) to the top where you see in the pictures with fresh MM .

One or two beds got a filling of 18 " of MM as I was experimenting , I got some fantastic long root crops and all the brasssica grew like trees . But that depth is not needed nor is the cost of it all wanted .

In my days of good health I built beds like a letter "T " or a tall mushroom for a disabled folks home at various heights so that those with wheel chairs could get the chairs tucked in under them . The upright bit caller the plinth being made of cast reinforced concrete with a central drain point , the top was also cast concrete , the wall was engineering bricks set in the wooden frame work that I cast the tops in , carefully mortared in place before the steel weld mesh reinforced concrete top was cast . The end of each brick was cut with a stepback of 1& 1/2 " so that it hid the supporting reinforced concrete lip
It might seem over the top but because of people needing to use the brick work as support in a public place it had to be nigh on bomb proof

To do it cheaper the walls could also be cast concrete if your able to get a truck with the mixer to direct pour them in place in your gardens .
That way a construct full foundation with steel work and make the casting mould around it them get it poured in one go and vibrated in.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down