Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Building the bed myself Toplef10Building the bed myself 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Building the bed myself I22gcj10Building the bed myself 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Building the bed myself Toplef10Building the bed myself 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Building the bed myself I22gcj10Building the bed myself 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Building the bed myself

+6
CindiLou
boffer
mhjr5500
llama momma
Frenchbean
stephproffitt
10 posters

Go down

Building the bed myself Empty Building the bed myself

Post  stephproffitt 6/26/2012, 3:55 pm

Hi,
I am new to SFG. I have one bed made and currently growing broccoli, squash and peppers. It is not absolutely correct since I got really excited and jumped in before I got the book from the library (LONG wait list). The only things really not correct is that I put the same crops right next to each other, but everyone is growing and looking fabulous so I am not too worried.

Now it is time for me to start planning my second season garden and I am going to build another bed (or two!) and am very, very confused. I have the book now and I have read this particular section multiple times. I also have rearranged the pieces of wood myself a ton of times. You see, the problem I am having is that my garden is not SQUARE and it is getting to the part of me that is anal over things like this.

Unless, myself and all of my family members are completely over looking something, there is no way to screw together four pieces of wood that are each 4 feet long and have an INSIDE planting area that is also 4 feet by 4 feet. You will always have at least two sides losing an inch, which makes the planting area 3 ft and 11 inches by 3 ft and 11 inches.

Am I missing something or are we just "forgetting" that extra inch?
stephproffitt
stephproffitt

Back to top Go down

Building the bed myself Empty building the bed myself

Post  Frenchbean 6/26/2012, 4:05 pm

I am so glad YOU asked this question as I was scared to ask Embarassed I only found this site 2 days ago and I've not build my beds yet. We will learn together.
Frenchbean

Female Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Building the bed myself Empty Re: Building the bed myself

Post  llama momma 6/26/2012, 4:17 pm

The inside measurements for planting veggies will be whatever it is and when all the plants are full and totally covering up the grid anyway, perfectionism is lost under all those gorgeous vegetables and no one will ever know! Honest!!!

Just to go over the the process, this is what works for me---
Look at your 1st piece of wood: one end is going on the Inside of the square box. The opposite end will go on the Outside of the square. Period. Do exactly the same thing for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pieces of wood as you attach each corner. Then it will be as perfect as can be! Or as perfect as the 4 pieces were cut to begin with.
The boxes will be square enough! And if you use critter cages like me, they will be made the same way and fit so close to perfect that you will be quite satisfied.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  mhjr5500 6/26/2012, 4:20 pm

you want 2 pieces 4ft and 2 pieces 4ft 3 and 1/2 in. put the 2 4ft pieces inside the longer ones. then you have 4ft by 4ft
mhjr5500
mhjr5500

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/26/2012, 4:23 pm

Welcome to the forum. We have a saying here: closies count! Your dimensions make each square ¼ inch shy. Don't worry about it. A little bigger or smaller will make no difference.

It's a matter of economy. To get an honest 48 inches inside, you would have to buy 10 foot boards, then you'd have short leftover pieces. Using an 8 footer, there's no scraps.

From your dimensions, I can tell that you are using a 1x. For those of us who use 2x, our inside dimension is even less. No problem.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/26/2012, 4:33 pm

Yup I use 2x ... squares are fine lol.... just stagger the corners the same on each corner and your good to go...or just do them any old way..there is someone on here that did square foot in a round bed! Figure that one out Building the bed myself 889526
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 6/26/2012, 5:11 pm

stephproffitt wrote:...

Am I missing something or are we just "forgetting" that extra inch?

If you buy 8' long 2x6's, then the boards are cut 4' long. If you stagger the joints, then the outside box dimensions are (4 ft + 1.5 Inches) square. The inside dimensions are (4 ft - 1.5 inches) square. That is: 46.5 inches square / 4 squares = 11+5/8" per planting square. Each nominal 12" square is diminished by 3/16 of an inch on each side. I promise you the plants won't miss an extra 3/16 of an inch over every 12" square.

I make my boxes 4 ft square on the outer dimension. I cut the 8ft boards into 46.5" boards and stagger every joint to get a perfect square with equal length boards. This allows me to trim the Mill ends off the boards. I use weed blocker cloth on the bottom of my boxes. It comes 4' wide standard width. It will not work on boxes with a 4ft square interior dimension.

This is a long reply to say, just get the squares close. Don't worry about what area the grid blocks or the loss by a box that is not exact dimension. Unless you take pleasure in such details.

Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 6/26/2012, 5:44 pm

adding on to Cincinnati's reply, when you lay your grid, don't bother with measuring exact 12" squares. use a quilter's trick: find the center of each side, and put down the grid board for that mark. then find the centers of each quadrant and put down the grid board. none of your squares will be exactly 12", but all of them will be square and equal.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 6/27/2012, 6:34 am

stephproffitt wrote:You see, the problem I am having is that my garden is not SQUARE and it is getting to the part of me that is anal over things like this.

I think you've received good advice on the inside / outside box measurement subject.

What's up with the squareness of your garden that's giving you so much problem?
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Building the bed myself Empty type A too

Post  hruten 6/27/2012, 8:21 am

If you really want to be particular about the right angles....

Your local hardware/big box store should have a metal strapping section. Many carryhardware to join at right angles. It is all galvanized and made for heavy construction.

My hubby and I are engineers so I understand that type A stuff. However, I lean more toward "git 'er done!" Smile
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 6/27/2012, 8:41 am

hruten wrote:If you really want to be particular about the right angles....

Your local hardware/big box store should have a metal strapping section. Many carryhardware to join at right angles. It is all galvanized and made for heavy construction.

My hubby and I are engineers so I understand that type A stuff. However, I lean more toward "git 'er done!" Smile

Yes.
You can also use wood blocks to make the joints. Me, I wouldn't sweat it. Heaven knows plenty of folks have had great success with wood blocks on the inside of their corner joints, which also takes up growing space.

Building the bed myself 1272224592_at_triple_raised_bed_med
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 6/27/2012, 9:19 am

rowena___. wrote:...use a quilter's trick: find the center of each side, and put down the grid board for that mark. then find the centers of each quadrant and put down the grid board. none of your squares will be exactly 12", but all of them will be square and equal.

That's how I do it. Whoda thot I could be a quilter too!

However, my next boxes will have a grid of pvc pipe that I will use for irrigation. I ran a test in one of my boxes and it worked beautifully when connected to a modified 5 gal bucket and gravity fed the system from about 5 ft high. I will convert all my boxes between my summer and fall garden. If you're a type A, this will be right up your alley. You will need to calculate the grid sizes almost exactly.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 6/27/2012, 9:48 am

Cincinnati wrote:However, my next boxes will have a grid of pvc pipe that I will use for irrigation. I ran a test in one of my boxes and it worked beautifully when connected to a modified 5 gal bucket and gravity fed the system from about 5 ft high.

what a fantastic idea! please keep us posted--i'm going to follow this idea closely. thank you for sharing it with us!
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/27/2012, 11:03 am

Hoggar has one in operation

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11301-pvc-watering-grid

I believe there's a Foundation associate in Florida who sells them.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 6/27/2012, 11:08 am

rowena___. wrote:
Cincinnati wrote:However, my next boxes will have a grid of pvc pipe that I will use for irrigation. I ran a test in one of my boxes and it worked beautifully when connected to a modified 5 gal bucket and gravity fed the system from about 5 ft high.

what a fantastic idea! please keep us posted--i'm going to follow this idea closely. thank you for sharing it with us!

I thought it was an original idea. Then I discovered it's been done by others. The systems I've seen in this forum were connected to a home water supply. Some used several commercial spray nozzles per grid.

My idea was much more simple with the plan to keep it inexpensive. I'd venture to say it's still not original — use a rain barrel or at least a bucket system so that the chlorine could evaporate before I put it on my MM.

This greatly reduced my watering time and served as a grid too.

It worked well. I will post some photos and start a new thread when I get a chance.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/27/2012, 11:27 am

Cinci, please do, the lack of pressure while using rain barrels seems to be a problem for a lot of folks. 5 feet of head is still not much pressure. How do you handle it?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 6/27/2012, 11:49 am

boffer wrote:... 5 feet of head is still not much pressure. How do you handle it?

Boffer, I get a stream that shoots out about 4-6 inches from each side of the grid. I haven't timed it, but it seems that the 5 gal bucket empties in less than a minute.

I'll post the photos of what I did in one of my beds.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum