Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? Toplef10Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? I22gcj10Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? Toplef10Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? I22gcj10Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner?

+6
happycamper
jazzycat
GWN
cheyannarach
yolos
dvingin
10 posters

Go down

Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? Empty Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner?

Post  dvingin 3/25/2013, 7:42 am

Good morning! I'm in the process of replacing my beds and was about to buy weed cloth as a line when I Googled and saw this forum. I've broken down the old beds and tilled the old weed-infested soil level. I see cardboard is recommended by the forum. What happens when it deteriorates? Do you replace it periodically?

Thanks in advance,
Dana
dvingin
dvingin

Back to top Go down

Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? Empty Re: Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner?

Post  yolos 3/25/2013, 10:52 am

I personally do not replace the cardboard. I assume that after a year or two before it breaks down, all the weeds below it will be dead. I hope I am correct in this. Unless you have some very invasive weeds underneath the bed or growing at the edges.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? Empty Re: Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner?

Post  cheyannarach 3/25/2013, 11:06 am

The one time cardboard should be good! If you want you can always double it up too! And Welcome to the forum!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/25/2013, 11:19 am

WELCOME Dana
I am on a small acreage that was covered with horrible quack grass, my first year (2 years ago) we had just moved here and had lots of cardboard from the move.
I put it everywhere, and under the beds. The quack grass came up through 12+ inches of soil. Then last year I switched in many beds over to SFG and took out much of the soil, laid down cardboard and then Mels mix and the weeds came through. I bought the heavy heavy fabric and the weeds even came through that. HOWEVER.... less.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 3/25/2013, 4:34 pm

What is "quack" grass? thinking
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 3/25/2013, 4:58 pm

Cardboard is what I have used, it takes over a year to breakdown and provides food to worms that will work their way into your garden bed. If you use it, make sure you have it extended several inches out the sides of your bed or it will grow up the inside walls of your garden.
Quack grass is terrible stuff, my cousin battled it for several years, use two layers of cardboard not just one if you go that route.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2013, 5:10 pm

jazzycat wrote:What is "quack" grass? thinking
Quack Grass

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  victoria 3/25/2013, 5:59 pm

Just wanted to throw in my two cents - Cardboard and newspaper is not one of the suggested items to use when you are taking the time to place raised beds on the ground. While it was suggested in the Original book - Mel then realized that not only did it only provide protection for possibly one or two season - it was not as effective as the weed cloth. The Mel's Mix is the most important portion of the SFG system. When done correctly EVERYTHING loves it - including weeds. If you are going to the trouble and expense of re-doing your beds - to the best thing for your beds ( and your back )- and replace the cardboard with a great landscape fabric - this will then make sure you are following SFG principles and giving yourself the greatest chance at success. No weeds is one of the things we strive for.
victoria
victoria

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/25/2013, 7:38 pm

When I started my new SFG last July, I first poured boiling water on the 16 square feet where my first raised bed would reside. I then put down the weed cloth from the Foundation.

Since then, it has been an interesting task to pull out the grass that actually grows up through the weed cloth.

As I prepare to expand my SFG, I'm considering using cardboard, then weed cloth. Does anyone have further suggestions?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2013, 7:51 pm

I pull up the sod then lay down the cardboard. I also use an edging tool around the base of the bed to cut off any renegade roots going for my Mel's Mix. Has worked well for the beds without any tree roots underneath. There are several beds I am going to raise just above ground level where I have had persistent trouble with tree roots.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Redoing raised beds- still use cardboard as a liner? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/25/2013, 8:57 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:As I prepare to expand my SFG, I'm considering using cardboard, then weed cloth. Does anyone have further suggestions?

I know this works though probably not practical for many...
When I pile up manure to be used later in the compost heap it will be in several piles maybe a foot or so deep. Nothing grows through it. I'm just saying it smothers very well, not saying it's the answer for everybody, it would need to be placed and then removed, lots of shoveling.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum