Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? Toplef10Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? I22gcj10Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? Toplef10Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? I22gcj10Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas?

+4
littlejo
happycamper
Triciasgarden
mrsfish94
8 posters

Go down

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? Empty Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas?

Post  mrsfish94 3/22/2013, 3:25 pm

I planted Green Arrow Shelling peas and I half thought they wouldn't produce. Well, I ended up having to pull them today to plant my Tomatoes.

So, here is the question, there were quite a few pea pods that were not ready to "shell" yet..but looked like snow peas/snap pea pods. Can we eat them? Like fresh in a salad?

I posted this question on another message board site too...but thought you guys might know.
mrsfish94
mrsfish94

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? Empty Re: Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas?

Post  Triciasgarden 3/22/2013, 4:45 pm

I know in the store they have pea pods that are the full pods that are edible. They are good. You can always try one. It wouldn't hurt you, I don't think. Let us know.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? Empty Re: Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas?

Post  happycamper 3/22/2013, 4:54 pm

I tried a Pea Pod Soup recipe last year that I found online. I had used the shells from Progress #9 peas and it turned out great. I remember I had to use the food mill for the cooked pods. I would suggest a search on "Google". It was good.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 3/22/2013, 5:29 pm

Pods from shelling peas won't hurt you to eat but may be sort of tough when eaten raw. Don't know if they would be more crispy if the peas have not developed.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/22/2013, 7:08 pm

I do believe that the entire pea plant is edible. Palatable is something else entirely. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/22/2013, 7:55 pm

mrsfish94 wrote:I planted Green Arrow Shelling peas and I half thought they wouldn't produce. Well, I ended up having to pull them today to plant my Tomatoes.

So, here is the question, there were quite a few pea pods that were not ready to "shell" yet..but looked like snow peas/snap pea pods. Can we eat them? Like fresh in a salad?

I posted this question on another message board site too...but thought you guys might know.

Yes eat you can them raw get the sweet juice out of them and spit the cud away like the old timers did with tobacco. We did this as kids no end of times .

You can if the pods are reasonably sweet not too stringy or scaley , cut the pods in thin slivers and use a few in salads .

As has been said pea pod soup but best of all is a pea pod wine made with extra sugar or grape syrup .. it stinks to high heaven when you're making it , then once the alcohol level rises to kill the bacteria it is fine.
It makes a delightful slightly dry white wine that has a first class clarity after the second filtering ..
It is much prized at most country wine events here in the UK for depending upon the amount of extra sugar you add the ABV ( alcohol by volume ) can be increased from a mere 5 % right up to 21 % if you use a high tollerance wine yeast . I used to make it in five gallon barrels and leave it in a barrel to mature after the second filtering & stopping the wine then after 18 months or so I'd bottle it .

Drink with in three years , store it in a cool dark place .

The pods can also be used in making simple veg stock .. once made with all the other veg strain it off and add the strained veg to the compost heap. Then freeeze the stock in 2 pint bags till you need some .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? Empty We call 'em "snaps" in the south

Post  bnoles 3/22/2013, 8:52 pm

Can you eat the pods on Shelling peas? Field_10
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/22/2013, 10:21 pm

My Mom always had us shell the peas and then peel the tough inner membrane out of the pod. To do that you fold the pod in half sideways and then slide the halfs past each other. They are tasty. I was really glad when Dad could plant snow peas and I did not have to shell and peel pea pods.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down