Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - potato question Toplef10potato - potato question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - potato question I22gcj10potato - potato question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - potato question Toplef10potato - potato question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - potato question I22gcj10potato - potato question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

potato question

+7
walshevak
Gunny
RoOsTeR
yolos
Turan
quiltbea
Pepper
11 posters

Go down

potato - potato question Empty potato question

Post  Pepper 3/15/2013, 2:08 pm

Last year I tried 'tater tires' which flopped. This year I have planted a full MM bed 4'x8'x12" with 3 varieties of taters; 2 reds and 1 white. I took atleast half of the MM out before planting 4 seed chunks per square. I intend to add the MM back as 'hilling'.

My question is should I add another 4'x8'x12" frame to the top and continue 'hilling' with straw? I am concerned with this many taters they will break the ground and get sun damaged. I have another frame that only needs assembly since I did not move the shrub bush behind this bed before it came back to life.
Bed in question is the one in back on the right
potato - potato question P3123512
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

potato - potato question Empty Re: potato question

Post  quiltbea 3/15/2013, 4:08 pm

To have bountiful taters, you need to dig a trench in which you place your seed potatoes and cover with about 3" of soil. Potatoes grow alongside the plants, not down.
potato - potato question 05-30-10
Mine were in a berm, not a bed but same principle. Early in the season after second hilling.

When those grow and have greenery about 6"-7" tall, you cover that greenery with another 3" of soil leaving about 3" of greenery showing. You do this about 4 times and then you let the taters 'do their thing' and grow under all that rich soil.
Pepper....In your case, I think you'll need another frame on top of the one you have since your taters are already at the top level with the bed. If any taters show a bit in the soil, be sure to cover them well with soil or straw or compost to be sure they don't get green (poisonous).
potato - potato question 07-03-13
Patch later in season. All hilled and growing well.

You need at least 12" minimum of depth. You'll 'hill up' (add more soil) about 3" each time as the plant grows til the 4th time. Then leave them alone except for watering and mulching until fall and covering any that reach the top beforehand.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 3/15/2013, 4:29 pm

thanks for you reply quiltbea may be I was not clear. This is a 12 in bed with the top 6 inches of MM removed. The taters are about 2 to 3 in deep. That leaves me app 6 inches of MM to add back. I hope for a bumper crop that should break the soil letting the sun in, if I dont add the next level with straw/mulch.

Will the straw count as soil for the taters to grow in? I only have 6 more inches of MM to add to bring me up to the top of THIS bed frame. That will make only two 'hillings' @ 3in a hilling. Or should I make more MM for the full 4 hillings?
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/16/2013, 12:13 am

One well established ways to grow potaters is to plant them just barely covered with soil and then when they sprout mulch about 6" and then when they have grown through that and are 6" high mulch again.

So yes you can hill first with MM and then later with mulch and all should be happy.

You need to stop mulching/hilling at some point, so that the plant turns from making growth to making tubers. I plant in May and stop mulching/hilling by August first and then harvest in September. I don't know your seasons well enough to know if the plants need to be harvested before high summer? My guess is that you need to stop hilling by half way through your season, definitely when they start flowering.

I hope that helps..... cyclops

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/16/2013, 11:54 am

I agree with Turan. Many folks use straw or hay mulch very deep to keep the plants covered. Just be sure they don't peek thru to sunshine and get green. They say it keeps the spuds much cleaner at harvest time.
I've not done that myself so I can't be sure. Its worth a try since you haven't more MM to use as cover.
I did mine with a rich loam, peat and compost mix. Potatoes prefer an acid soil so peat fills that need.
I just hope you take pics and let us know how its working for you, whatever course you take.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/16/2013, 12:04 pm

Pepper - I followed your example when I planted my potatoes. So let me know what you use. My plan is to cover to the top of the box with MM as they grow. Then if the tops still look good I will build a second box to sit on the top of the first box. I will be expanding again next year and can use the top box as a normal box next year. But if I do add the second box, I am not sure what I will use as mulch in the top box as the potatoes grow higher into the box.

I have 4 different types of potatoes so I will have to see if there are any that are late season. If they are not late season, it is a waste of time and money to keep hilling them into the top box (I think).
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/16/2013, 12:35 pm

When I grew potatoes and mulched them I did not know about determinate versus indeterminate potatoes. The varieties I grew didn't grow taters in the mulch, or not much. They are focused in a mat between soil and mulch. The mulch feeds and protects and cools and keeps water more even. I used alfalfa hay, the slugs do not like it while they love straw. Deep mulch is supposed to deter potato beetles. Potatoes will love a handful of bone meal sprinkled over the area at each hilling.

My guess is that potato growing in the south probably can use any thing to keep that potato growing MM cool and evenly moist.

I told myself no potats this year,,,,,, argghhhh.... but I just love growing them tongue

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 3/16/2013, 8:42 pm

Thanks for all your responses; after my failure with tater tires ( https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11554-tater-tires ) I am gun-shy with using MM. I do wish there was more emphasis on labling taters with determinate and indeterminate. I also found out after my last experiment about the difference; but NOBODY classifies them around here. Even researching seed tater sources you come up empty; I have found nearly nothing about which varieties are which.

Speaking of straw as mulch are yall talking wheat straw, hay mulch, or pine straw that the slugs love? Pine straw would not have the potential to introduce seeds into the MM. Alfalfa hay would probally be expensive down south it has to be trucked in as horse feed.

I do have a couple of failed shredded leaf piles that never really composted I could use. They are atleast a year old so restarting them as compost is not a good option and any seed should also be nill.

I am also thinking about wood chips like in the "Back to Eden" project ( https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13233-back-to-eden ). The trouble with this option is I dont have any aged chips, fresh ones may creat a nitrogen robbing situation.

Are there any suggestions ladies??? I lean to yall's experience.

I will document with pictures how this progresses, and also ask in the back to eden thread.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/16/2013, 8:53 pm

Lol, we're not all ladies here pepper Cool

This Rookie Topic on mulch may help you:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12863-friday-rookie-topics-viii-mulch

potato - potato question Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 3/16/2013, 8:59 pm

Sorry RoOsTeR at the time it was only the ladies that had experience. Thanks for your help!!!

Any suggestion ladies or gents. potato - potato question 3170584802 potato - potato question 3170584802 potato - potato question 3170584802
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/16/2013, 9:03 pm

Well, did you happen to read the link I posted above for you? There are suggestions and options there.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 3/16/2013, 9:21 pm

Thanks again RoOsTeR!! I have now. I guess this rules out the uncomposted shreaded leaves.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/16/2013, 9:27 pm

Pepper wrote:
Speaking of straw as mulch are yall talking wheat straw, hay mulch, or pine straw that the slugs love?

Oooo yeah, regional differences again.
I had really bad slug problems when raising potatoes in wheat and/or barley straw. Little to no slugs when using alfalfa hay. the hay also is a more nutritious mulch being high in nitrogen. My dad would use leaves we jumped a lot. And I think he also used pine needles. Both those are slightly acidic, which potatoes like.

Is Pine straw pine needles? If so I would think it would be ideal for your top mulch.

I have also never seen potatoes labeled as determinate or indeterminate. We figured out that was what we were seeing in a topic here last spring. Mostly it is long season varieties that would be recognized as indeterminate.

Irish Eyes recommends Yellow Finn, Indian Pit, Red Pontiac, or the fingerling types for trying to push the tower thing, which means they are indeterminate.

I hope I am helping.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/16/2013, 9:38 pm

Pepper - On 3/10/13 I planted 4 varieties of potatoes. 2 squares of yellow fin (a late season variety), 4 squares of pontiac ( a late season variety), 4 squares of yukon gold, and 4 squares of an unknown variety purchased at Andy's Nursery (couldn't believe that the nursery did not even know what variety they were selling but they were cheap).
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/16/2013, 9:43 pm

Pepper, the other thing is if you do happen to find straw or hay for that matter, make sure it doesn't have seed. I learned the hard way covering my garlic with it.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 3/16/2013, 10:24 pm

Turan you are surely helping!!! The Irish Eyes link is a treasure, it is what I hoped to get with my tater tires, I even used red pontiac's. Well I think it will be pine straw; yes needles; around here it is plentyfull, and relatively cheap. We already use it for ground cover under trees and in the flower beds.
Yea RoOsTeR that is what has been driving my thinking; preventing seed introduction. The link you gave saved me from starving them with the shreaded leaves.
yolos looks like you got 2 late season taters that this method will help. I understand the "not even know what variety they were selling". I had the same thing happen they only knew 'red' and 'white'. I did get 4 lbs of red pontiac's. I am not sure if I am SQ FT gardening or bio-entensive gardening, lol. I am trying to maximize production in my 192 sq feet.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/17/2013, 12:04 am

I am trying with a base of wood chips then a layer of composed horse manure followed by old alfalfa hay. Need to cover them again as they are thriving even if it is off season here. My chart says to plant in Oct. Maybe the cool nights and the shade, there on the east side of my compost station so only get sun for a little while in the mornings and are shaded for the hot part of the day. Have three tire towers and an old three foot square animal cage plus an old leaky tub. Will have to close in the cage if they start growing through the wire. That is if I can keep them going long enough. Grins
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 3/17/2013, 8:11 am

Good deal Gunny, hope your tire towers work better than mine did, they were a flop. I never did figure out if it was too much water retention or if it was the heat from being above ground but most of the plants rotted.
You may want to read the Back to Eden thread I linked above it uses wood chips in a unique fashon, to great results.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/17/2013, 11:14 am

Pepper,
Been there, saw it, don't think it will work in our hot weather with average summer temps in the 120+ range. Besides I am finding eucoliptis (sp?) and oliander in the mix after putting the spuds. Just an experiment as are all my gardening ventures :smile:
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/17/2013, 7:06 pm

oleander is highly poisonous. http://library.thinkquest.org/C007974/1_1ole.htm

take care.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 4/24/2013, 2:18 pm

OPPS I had forgot about this thread. I did add the next level of frame to the first one. Last Sunday afternoon the misses and I added two bales of pine straw. At first it looked as if we had really messed up. The plants looked really bad and only half of the volume that were there before.
potato - potato question P4213613
Today they seem to have done well even with the wear; I may have lost some of the smaller plants.
potato - potato question P4243610
They are still growing tall.
potato - potato question P4243611

Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/24/2013, 4:48 pm

Well it sure looks like this year's potatoes are doing great for you Pepper, congratulations!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 4/25/2013, 9:10 am

they look good hope you get a good load of taters Very Happy potato - potato question 3170584802
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasAggie 7/19/2014, 6:36 pm

For regular potatoes, do you put them in wateror cut out the eyes and plant the eyes?
TexasAggie
TexasAggie

Male Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/19/2014, 6:55 pm

TexasAggie wrote:For regular potatoes, do you put them in wateror cut out the eyes and plant the eyes?
You may find your answer here. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t16841-rookie-topic-potatoes?highlight=rookie+topics+potatoes

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

potato - potato question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down