Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes? Toplef10Potatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes? I22gcj10Potatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes? Toplef10Potatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes? I22gcj10Potatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Potatoes?

+7
No_Such_Reality
hruten
camprn
kgooding
tomperrin
plantoid
Yardtigress
11 posters

Go down

Potatoes? Empty Potatoes?

Post  Yardtigress 5/1/2012, 6:07 pm

I'm new to SFG and I have 2 4X4 and one 2x2 tall box. Does anyone know anything about potatoes. They are growing like weeds and I don't know anything about when to harvest. my carrots are little bitty but my squash is taking off.
Yardtigress
Yardtigress

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty Re: Potatoes?

Post  plantoid 5/1/2012, 7:03 pm

You'll have to tell us what type of potato they are .. first early ,second early , main crop ,or late crop

As a rough guide the first two are of eatable size just as they come into flower bloom .. the main crop after the flowers have died off and the last leave them in the ground as long as you dare but not till the frost arrives .

Today I have had to cover the stems of my potatoes as they were just over 8 inches above the MM I planted them in . They now have a jacket of 6 inches of MM to carryon growing through to produce more potatoes .

My potatoes are growing in big square bags sat on concrete , some out side and some in the grenhouse. So I do not have to get as involved with them as you will with yours .

Have your got and read Mel Bartholomew's book ( 2006 edition ) called " All New Square Foot Gardening ". If not please do try and get a copy for in it there is a section that shows the use of a stackable box that sits on top of a one foot square of the MM in the bed ,

The bottom less stackable boxes are specially for growing long rooted crops and using them to " Hill up " potatoes.

Potatoes? PotatoesandMayday004
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty When to harvest spuds

Post  tomperrin 5/1/2012, 7:33 pm

Yardtigress wrote:I'm new to SFG and I have 2 4X4 and one 2x2 tall box. Does anyone know anything about potatoes. They are growing like weeds and I don't know anything about when to harvest. my carrots are little bitty but my squash is taking off.

The potatoes will tell you when it's time to harvest. When the tops start to die off naturally is a good time to test, then go from there.

Large scale farmers use a herbicide (with all of its consequences) to kill the potato plants so that they can all be harvested at the same time. You don't have to do that.

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/1/2012, 7:39 pm

Tom

Over here sometimes they use a heavily diluted sulphuric acid to kill & dessicate the tops to reduce potato blight spores , apparently the the acid can help in chalky soils as well as reduce a few very close to surface bugs & slugs.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty Yukon gold

Post  Yardtigress 5/2/2012, 9:47 am

The potatoes I planted are yukon gold. I should be planting some Georgia Jet sweet potatoes later this week. Thanks for all the help.
Yardtigress
Yardtigress

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty Follow-up potato question

Post  kgooding 5/4/2012, 7:18 am

Okay, so I'm an extreme newbie to gardening in general, and I'm one of those people that has to know everything so this is probably an annoying question.

But, I planted a bunch of Red Pontiac potatoes and Yukon golds back on 3/27. They grew like crazy and I hilled them closer to every other day than once per week with the extreme growth. About 2 weeks ago I hit my final height and those plants are still growing and looking very healthy, but show absolutely no signs of flowering. I'm tempted to dig one up to see what's there, but I'm afraid that it won't survive if I replant it. Anyone have any idea how long until it flowers and I can harvest (I'm in zone 7a)?

Maybe me and a garden was not a good idea, I'm not very patient and it's not exactly an exact science!
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/4/2012, 7:30 am

Time to move onto to something else for a while and learn patience. If the plants are green and look happy they are busy making tubers. It's going to be a few months before it's time for potatoes. Click the link below for more info.
Red Pontiac Potatoes Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Potatoes? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty Can we grow sweet potatoes or yams in NE

Post  hruten 5/4/2012, 9:59 am

Hi to all those NEasterners. Is it possible to grow sweet potatoes or yams this far north? I have a couple of old orange bags I thought I might put a plant in just for experiment sake.
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/4/2012, 10:32 am

I am planning on growing some sweet potatoes this season. You will need slips. I am not putting mine in until the very end of May or the beginning of June.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Potatoes? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/4/2012, 12:31 pm

I'm attempting to grow my own slips from a purple okinawian sweet potato purchased at a farmers market. The sweet looked healthy and I'll keep it in a container so the worse that will happen is I have an unusable crop if I even get that far.

So far, it's been a little over a week with the potato half in a bowl of water in a somewhat sunny window. I'm debating moving it to the green house, which will be warmer, but zone to be too warm to get it going better, but I'm having some success. I have 5 or so little nubby slip sprouts about 1/8th inch high on the spud.

So I'm loathe to change anything, but need to get the gas peddle on the floor as I want them in mid-June.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolinaGirl 5/4/2012, 7:56 pm

I dug around in my potato box (Red Norland) this evening, just because I wanted to see lol. I took out two little guys... one a bit smaller than golf ball and the other about half that size. They've been growing about a month. I'll probably give the whole box another month and then dump them:
Potatoes? 525843_10100168339303694_21308174_42748941_2001556174_n
CarolinaGirl
CarolinaGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  kgooding 5/4/2012, 10:35 pm

Thanks for the picture Carolina girl. I have mine in a bed instead of a bin, but your potatoes are about the size I want to pick them at. One of my fondest memories from childhood is going to my Grandmas (in Wisconsin) in the summer and having her go out to the garden, dig up a couple "new potatoes" and making parsley butter potatoes right away. I don't think there's much in the world that tasted better than those fresh dug potatoes. Anyway, I might just have to go out there tomorrow and dig up a plant to see what I got, I planted 12 squares at 4/sq so I'm thinking it might be okay if I lose one plant to curiosity!
kgooding
kgooding

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/5/2012, 7:39 am

You can get away with just sticking your hand down into the mix and rooting around until you find a tater, no need to uproot a whole plant that could be making 20 more spuds. Wink Just a thought. Let us know what you find on your treasure hunt Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty What's a good potato to start on?

Post  hruten 5/5/2012, 7:43 am

I did a little research on Sweet Potatoes and although I love them.... There is a lot of extra stuff you need to do to cure them. Anyway, I was hoping there might be some suggestions out there for what kind of potato to try first. We like them all, so pickiness is not an issue, but resiliency against bugs, disease, and mostly the gardener are!Embarassed

Thanks
hruten
hruten

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/5/2012, 7:55 am

hruten wrote:I did a little research on Sweet Potatoes and although I love them.... There is a lot of extra stuff you need to do to cure them. Anyway, I was hoping there might be some suggestions out there for what kind of potato to try first. We like them all, so pickiness is not an issue, but resiliency against bugs, disease, and mostly the gardener are!Embarassed

Thanks
I think you may have to settle on what ever slips you can find at the nursery across the river. For information try looking at Folia for good info on sweet potatoes or regular potatoes.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty Thanks Cmprn

Post  hruten 5/5/2012, 8:07 am

Thanks Cmprn!!

I'm not sure that it's said enough, but you and the other moderators are WONDERFUL and patient!Potatoes? 109486
hruten
hruten

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty Just say no

Post  CharlesB 5/5/2012, 8:24 am

kgooding wrote:Anyone have any idea how long until it flowers and I can harvest (I'm in zone 7a)?

I wouldn't touch them until they are ready. You will be rewarded if you wait.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Potatoes? Empty Potatoes?

Post  Pepper 5/5/2012, 8:01 pm

Thanks for all the links Camprn and the information from all. The potatoes I have in my 'tater tires' are red pontiac. The trouble is at day 78 they are starting to look sick. and unless this is a flower this test might be a bust. Potatoes? P5053010

The link Camprn provided said 95+ days till mature, and that is the grow time. I am hopine this damage is from the wind we had last week. Potatoes? P5053011
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  kgooding 5/5/2012, 8:11 pm

If anyone is interested...I dug around a few of the biggest of my potato plants tonight just to see what might be there. Now, my plants are hilled to about 18" but I planted the seed potatoes at about 5 " of depth, so when I felt around down there I actually felt to around 12 inches. Guess what I found? Absolutely nothing! Well, I felt the stems going down and a few roots, but not any tubers. So, obviously I'm just getting way over excited and need to wait at least another month before I dig around again!

Thanks for everyone's help!
kgooding
kgooding

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/5/2012, 9:08 pm

pepper that does look like a flower about to open Very Happy some of our flowers last year were tiny white/purple flowers....and you may only get a few......

your plants look like they are doing what they should be doing at 78 days....they do take at least 90 days or more depending on how long it took them to germ ....and....they will look really pitiful-dying-droopy....like they need water but dont.....the longer you wait the bigger your taters and more taters you will get too.....i get so excited when i start to see our taters dying off.....LOL....they will get ugly Shocked

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/5/2012, 10:02 pm

THANK YOU Rose Potatoes? 926169

The 78 day are since planting. That pitifull excuse for a flower has been around for several days. I was about to pull the tire towers down. You see this is my first year gardening I have not been able to find a flower for these taters. I have been "concerned" about them getting too hot being above ground and 'dressed' in black. Potatoes? 109486

Now I can wait in peace for the time to pass......... bounce

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE VIVID DESCRIPTION.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/5/2012, 11:26 pm

found last years potato thread started by asking how and what to use to *hill up* potatoes....but....we continued the thread and posted pic's thru out the growing and harvesting of potatoes....there is A Lot of great info in there on potatoes along with a little bit of fun Laughing the thread is a little long LOL...but heck...we had fun!

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7438-potatoes

hope that helps

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/6/2012, 12:50 am

Rose you were right the thread was long but to me well worth the read. You gave me the strenght to WAIT. Thank you againPotatoes? 109486 Potatoes? 657780
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down