Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Toplef10March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 I22gcj10March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Toplef10March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 I22gcj10March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

+10
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
countrynaturals
bmoore49
Mary429
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sanderson
Sandy Moore
PNG_Grandma
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Empty Re: March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  sanderson 3/3/2017, 3:04 am

YS, My hear aches for you. Too bad you can't build a small "swimming pool" and collect rain water. Your water costs are plain highway robbery. Evil or Very Mad

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Empty Re: March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  countrynaturals 3/3/2017, 9:50 am

Yardslave wrote:As usual, I'm getting a late jump on the beds as the weather and life's diversions get in the way of getting some soil under my nails. I miss it! The rains have kept my gardening to a minimum and my compost pile is down to nothing but all of last season's compost- I really fell behind. Just this month, the the corporate water demigod (CalAM) received permission from the state water board to jack up the price of water 25 % -we already are paying a 100% increase levied by the board to offset the corporations' loss of revenue from voluntary cutbacks and state mandated cutbacks. So now we are paying more and using less.... going to be watering my garden with tears! March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 671790
That's just WRONGEvil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/11/2017, 10:55 am

On the 9th I planted everything! Peas, beans, tomatoes, radishes, melons, squash, cilantro, oregano, cukes, zukes, peppers, sunflowers, pumpkins, and even cat grass to sell at the shop. Whew! I ran out of space inside and had to get creative. I double-stacked some on the heating pad, and the long-term seeds went into larger peat pots around the base of the brandywine tomatoes. This morning I checked the bottom level of Jiffy Pellets and MY YARD LONG BEAN SEEDS HAVE ALREADY SPROUTED!  Shocked (Picture taken before they sprouted.)
March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Stacke10March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Base10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 3/11/2017, 11:45 am

Look what I just saw!  I can move my plants outside now.  Guru Sanderson said so (a few years ago)!!  Yea...I get my dining room table back!!!   cheers

"sanderson on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:10 pm
 I permanently moved my seedlings outdoors yesterday since the nights are 40*F or higher. Some of my beds don't received enough sun and are still too cold to direct seed. I will be seeding okra, maybe pole beans in their warm beds.
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/27/2017, 5:39 pm

I'm planting Dundale peas in the Rescue Garden, using a modified BTE method (not enough compost or wood chips). Since I use peas to improve the soil and don't expect much else from them, it should work out okay. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/27/2017, 8:01 pm

Mellen, Did you bring the seedlings in during the rains?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/27/2017, 9:09 pm

Mellen wrote:Look what I just saw!  I can move my plants outside now.  Guru Sanderson said so (a few years ago)!!  Yea...I get my dining room table back!!!   cheers

"sanderson on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:10 pm
 I permanently moved my seedlings outdoors yesterday since the nights are 40*F or higher. Some of my beds don't received enough sun and are still too cold to direct seed. I will be seeding okra, maybe pole beans in their warm beds.
I'm still bringing most stuff back in at night. I leave the celeriac out, but not the beans anymore (since the weatherman lied and it got down to 35 and killed some of them). I definitely bring in the spaghetti squash and lemon cukes. looks like the beans can go in the ground next week. cheers My daikon seeds were planted on the deck, but only 2 have sprouted so far. Our nights are even too cold for them. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/27/2017, 9:23 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I'm planting Dundale peas in the Rescue Garden, using a modified BTE method (not enough compost or wood chips). Since I use peas to improve the soil and don't expect much else from them, it should work out okay. geek
YIKES! I bought these because they were drought tolerant, worked my butt off getting them planted, then went looking for ways to cook and eat them. NOTHING! I just planted pig food and I don't even have pigs.  March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 671790 March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 671790 March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/27/2017, 9:54 pm

Eat the young green pods like snow peas?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/27/2017, 10:41 pm

sanderson wrote:Eat the young green pods like snow peas?
I'm gonna try that. Also, I had more compost and mulch than I thought, so this is a nice 15" wide, protected, 8' long bed with the peas planted at the back. So that leaves me 8 nice unexpected squares to plant something else in front. Right now I'm too pooped to think about it, but I'll figure out something for it, soon.  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/27/2017, 10:46 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:I'm planting Dundale peas in the Rescue Garden, using a modified BTE method (not enough compost or wood chips). Since I use peas to improve the soil and don't expect much else from them, it should work out okay. geek
YIKES! I bought these because they were drought tolerant, worked my butt off getting them planted, then went looking for ways to cook and eat them. NOTHING! I just planted pig food and I don't even have pigs.  March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 671790 March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 671790 March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 671790
One site called them a snow pea, so Sanderson's suggestion is a good one. And if you don't like them that way,
let them mature, harvest the dry peas, and sprout them. "Dundale peas are very yummy when sprouted and the young shoots are eaten fresh.": http://sustainableseedco.com/compost-cover-crops/dundale-pea.html
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 3/28/2017, 10:05 am

sanderson wrote:Mellen,  Did you bring the seedlings in during the rains?
 Whew!  I've been to-ing & fro-ing ever since I wrote that.  I put them out to catch a few rays and bring them back in for the night.

I spoke too soon.  I still don't have my table back.

So....will I ever been able to plant them?  I expected half to germinate and probably 90% did.  I've lost about 10% of those (because I still don't know what I'm doing).  Mostly those I lost can be direct seeded whenever things warm up enough.

I love this rain, but I really would like to get my garden planted.  It's APRIL for crying out loud.

(Stop Mellen!  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!)
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/28/2017, 12:03 pm

Mellen wrote:
sanderson wrote:Mellen,  Did you bring the seedlings in during the rains?
 Whew!  I've been to-ing & fro-ing ever since I wrote that.  I put them out to catch a few rays and bring them back in for the night.

I spoke too soon.  I still don't have my table back.

So....will I ever been able to plant them?  I expected half to germinate and probably 90% did.  I've lost about 10% of those (because I still don't know what I'm doing).  Mostly those I lost can be direct seeded whenever things warm up enough.

I love this rain, but I really would like to get my garden planted.  It's APRIL for crying out loud.

(Stop Mellen!  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!)
I share your frustration! Mad The worst of it is that it means a very short growing season up here, because triple-digits will start July 1 with or without spring. Then everything comes to a screeching halt until fall. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/10/2018, 2:49 pm

It's that magic month of March with flavors of spring alternating with late frosts and rains.  I am very late getting the seedlings and sweet potato slips started indoors.  I was aiming for Valentine's Day but didn't get to it until March 2 - 9.  Hope all of you have done better than me. Embarassed

You can scroll up this short thread to see what Gardenate.com recommends for planting in March.  Basically everything!

From members' generosity, I have seeded Comfrey, Brandywine and Cherokee Purple tomatoes, and thyme.  I am trying ginger from the grocery store for the first time in a smallish pot.  New varieties I'm trying are a red/yellow striped tomato from the Farmer's Market, a very large paste tomato from the Exposition in Santa Rosa, Rich Sweetness 132 and Charentais melons, Chinese 5 Color pepper (for flower beds), Amaranth Dreadlocks (for flower beds).  The new Teparay Blue Speckled beans will be direct sown after the rains.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/12/2018, 2:56 am

All my seeds are finally planted! Only took 9 days what with having to order a couple of packets that were empty of seeds! Cosmos and some of the tomatoes have sprouted. bounce

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/10/2020, 4:09 am

Scroll up to see what to plant or start indoors.

This is a great time in CA when garden activities can really start in earnest.  Final harvest of winter crops.  Amending beds with blended compost.  Checking trellises and irrigation systems for any repairs or reinforcements needed.  Indoor starts should already be underway.  Plant ginger and turmeric and early potatoes.  Start sweet potato slips.

For those of you who purchase a variety of composts for amending the beds, the pickings are slim in CA. Ecoscraps Compost, previously available at Lowes and Home Depot is no longer available in my area. Hopefully, this is a regional problem and the rest of you can find it. Nature's Care Really Good Compost is no longer carried by Home Depot. The only 2 I could find was manure based and Gardener & Bloome Purely Compost. Thank goodness I still had some home made compost from last year to supplement the limited bagged composts.

Amended bed with October garlic in the background.
March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Grids_11

Seedlings 3-6 getting some warm sunshine.
March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Seedli16

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/10/2020, 10:03 am

Starting a huge batch of seeds, including all of my vining crops. I want to try gourds this year, but my first batch of seeds failed entirely, so I'll include them in the mix.

I'm also going start my inverted cells on the top of the bed carrot experiment. I'll beat those blasted rollies, yet. March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 950477
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/10/2020, 1:54 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I'm also going start my inverted cells on the top of the bed carrot experiment. I'll beat those blasted rollies, yet. March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 950477

CN, have you tried Sluggo Plus to get rid of the Roly-Poly infestation?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4505

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/10/2020, 1:57 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Starting a huge batch of seeds, including all of my vining crops. I want to try gourds this year, but my first batch of seeds failed entirely, so I'll include them in the mix.

I am going to try something new this year with my squash and cucumber vines.  A good friend that runs a truck farm said that I should wait to start them until after all of the vine beetles have hatched out of the ground and moved on to the neighbors in search of plants to eat. Then when mine start growing most of the beetles will have already moved on, and won't be as much a problem. Gonna give it a go and see how it works out........

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/10/2020, 4:44 pm

OhioGardener wrote: . . . CN, have you tried Sluggo Plus to get rid of the Roly-Poly infestation?
+1

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/10/2020, 5:22 pm

sanderson wrote:
OhioGardener wrote: . . . CN, have you tried Sluggo Plus to get rid of the Roly-Poly infestation?
+1
No. I hate to use more chemicals. The only time I have a problem is if I direct sow. I now start everything else in Jiffy Pellets, but I can't do that with carrots. Hopefully, this experiment will solve the problem.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/10/2020, 5:38 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:
+1
No. I hate to use more chemicals. The only time I have a problem is if I direct sow. I now start everything else in Jiffy Pellets, but I can't do that with carrots. Hopefully, this experiment will solve the problem.

That's the good thing about Sluggo Plus, it is "natural" ingredients - Iron Phosphate (phosphorous and oxygen with iron) and Spinosad (a soil bacterium). The Iron Phosphate kills slugs and snails, and the Spinosad kills Earwigs, Cutworms, Sowbugs, Pillbugs, etc..

March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Sluggo10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/20/2020, 6:02 pm

Started Birdhouse gourds, Dipper gourds, and Tennessee Dancing gourds, plus another 10 artichokes. I know the artichokes won't produce this year, but they should still be pretty plants. This is my 2nd planting for the gourds. Not a single one came up last time. idk
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/21/2020, 6:05 pm

During the brief breaks in the weather, I managed to transplant onions, plant beets and parsnip seeds, tear out a few Tai pepper plants and replace them with 2 Delicata squash. Ran out of compost and vermiculite, so I'm going to have to consider busting out of quarantine and trade a pack of Charmin and some Fiji water for garden supplies. The gophers are invading the garden and one has managed to sneak into one of my boxes that is lined with 1/4" hardware cloth. I didn't know gophers had wire cutters! So far, I've caught 13 gophers- where's the cats when you need them?
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/21/2020, 6:34 pm

Yardslave wrote: I'm going to have to consider busting out of quarantine and trade a pack of Charmin and some Fiji water for garden supplies.
Can you order from Amazon and not have to go out at all? idk

If you do, or even if you go out for stuff, be sure to wipe everything down or spray with disinfectant. Now they're saying the virus can live on plastic for 2 days. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next