Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Roots and Onions Toplef10Roots and Onions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Roots and Onions I22gcj10Roots and Onions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Roots and Onions Toplef10Roots and Onions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Roots and Onions I22gcj10Roots and Onions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Roots and Onions

+2
Pollinator
Bud Alexis
6 posters

Go down

Roots and Onions Empty Roots and Onions

Post  Bud Alexis Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 pm

I emptied out one of my raised beds and, WOW, I couldn't believe all the roots that have poked up thru the bottom shield layer. What to do.
On another matter, I have a lot of multiplying onions, so I want to replant them in another bed. They are clustered, so I want to divide them into singles. They still have mostly green tops in spite of the freezes we have had and will be getting some more of next week. Is this a bad time to replant?
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Roots and Onions Empty Re: Roots and Onions

Post  Pollinator Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:01 pm

I have the same problem with one of my raised beds, which have no bottom. My neighbor has a huge pine tree about 20 feet from the bed, and it is putting up roots into the bed. Last year I wondered why stuff did a lot poorer in this bed, then this year I put in sweet potatoes in the same bed.

Now I don't normally till my beds, but you pretty much have to do it to harvest your sweet 'taters. And I encountered almost impenetrable mats of wood roots.

I can't complain, because the 'taters did fairly well. But I was much more attentive about giving them chicken manure. It's just a shame that so much much of that fertilizer went to the pine tree thief, instead of my crop.

I have just about decided to close out that bed. I'm going to do one new one somewhere this year that will compensate, and I plan to do the SFG method on the new one, to see if it will help with tomato disease.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi Bud, I'd try some cardboard and some newspaper. The newspaper will supposedly help keep bugs away, and they both will help with worms.

As far as the onions, different rules apply in the south. If they are still green, then replant now. Even my Egyptian walking onions are still green, all the tops are gone but the stems are still green.
I don't have any multiplier onions, but plan on getting some this yr.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Bud Alexis wrote:I emptied out one of my raised beds and, WOW, I couldn't believe all the roots that have poked up thru the bottom shield layer. What to do.
On another matter, I have a lot of multiplying onions, so I want to replant them in another bed. They are clustered, so I want to divide them into singles. They still have mostly green tops in spite of the freezes we have had and will be getting some more of next week. Is this a bad time to replant?
Pollinater, The sw. potatoes love the pine roots, for they love the acid, and they are thankful that the tree roots took up the manure, for they do not like being fertilized. Smile
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 am

Pollinator wrote:I have the same problem with one of my raised beds, which have no bottom. My neighbor has a huge pine tree about 20 feet from the bed, and it is putting up roots into the bed. Last year I wondered why stuff did a lot poorer in this bed, then this year I put in sweet potatoes in the same bed.

Now I don't normally till my beds, but you pretty much have to do it to harvest your sweet 'taters. And I encountered almost impenetrable mats of wood roots.

I can't complain, because the 'taters did fairly well. But I was much more attentive about giving them chicken manure. It's just a shame that so much much of that fertilizer went to the pine tree thief, instead of my crop.
I have had some serious problems with tree root hairs infiltrating a few of my beds the past few years, to the point of choking the roots of the vegetables. After digging out the beds of the noxious roots the past two years I have decided I must raise the beds off the native soil. So I plan to dig out the invading roots again, build new boxes with solid or wire mesh bottoms and raise the up about an inch or two. A big project, but I am not going to keep digging out roots every year.

Pollinator wrote:I have just about decided to close out that bed. I'm going to do one new one somewhere this year that will compensate, and I plan to do the SFG method on the new one, to see if it will help with tomato disease.
Do you know which tomato disease you are battling?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Roots and Onions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:14 am

One problem I see with raising the bed only a few inches off the ground is what you are inviting to live under it in that small space. Around here snakes would love to find such a valuable hiding place as well as rats, etc. I think if I were going to raise the bed off the ground I would go ahead and raise it to table top high and get the benefit of not having to get down on hands and knees or bending and stretching to work your garden.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 am

bnoles wrote:One problem I see with raising the bed only a few inches off the ground is what you are inviting to live under it in that small space. Around here snakes would love to find such a valuable hiding place as well as rats, etc. I think if I were going to raise the bed off the ground I would go ahead and raise it to table top high and get the benefit of not having to get down on hands and knees or bending and stretching to work your garden.
I was addressing the question at hand, about infiltrating roots. Of course the gardener must take into account the conditions in the yard. I just want to separate the growing bed from the root systems found in the native soil underneath. For me, I am challenged by the fact that I have limited carpentry skills, level ground and money, so I will raise the beds only a few inches. I am always glad to have garter snakes in my garden as they hunt up undesirable critters.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Roots and Onions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:10 am

camprn wrote:I am always glad to have garter snakes in my garden as they hunt up undesirable critters.

Yup, I can handle the garter snakes. NOT the rats! I think if it was a low height the worse you would get is snakes, they would not let anything else near! Humm, but maybe skunks, you might get them! GGGrrrr on second thought, yup, I would raise it up or put it on the ground! Just my 2 cents worth rofl
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down