Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri Toplef10Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri I22gcj10Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri Toplef10Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri I22gcj10Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri

5 posters

Go down

Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri Empty Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri

Post  meatburner 10/24/2012, 7:04 pm

Found this forum a few days ago and have really enjoyed all the helpful and experience folk who offer their friendly advise. We built a few lasagna beds in raised beds this summer and converted one 8 x 12 in-ground to a raised bed. All with 2 x 12 sides. Did my first fall garden ever and this has been very very exciting and motivating. Looking forward to being around here and learning from so many good people. Thanks so much.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri Empty Re: Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri

Post  Goosegirl 10/24/2012, 10:11 pm

welcome Meatburner!

I built my SFG boxes on top of my old lasagna beds, so I basically have 6" deep boxes of MM sitting on top of 8"+ good lasagna compost. Just finished my 2nd season and not looking back! Post pics of your beds when you can. WE LOVE PICS!!! Again, welcome

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri Empty Re: Hi all from a backyard gardner in Southwest Missouri

Post  meatburner 10/24/2012, 10:22 pm

Thank you GG. I will get some pics up real soon. I love seeing what other people are doing. Always learn something new. These new beds are awsome already.
meatburner
meatburner

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/24/2012, 10:25 pm

I love my SFG beds as well. My lasagna beds grew just fine, but being the unorganized disaster that I am, SFG beds give an order and neatness to my yard that my husband desperately needed! I will never go back!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 10/24/2012, 10:59 pm

lol GG. Glad you are not making him so crazy. The lasagna method made perfect sense and I decided to go that way knowing I would be facing a shrinkage issue this first year but it has worked out okay so far. The fall crops I experimented with were and still are amazing. I wanted to have plenty of compost available and started a new pile last Sunday. Checked it about an hour ago and the temp was 158 degrees. Looking good to top these raised beds of come spring.
meatburner
meatburner

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/24/2012, 11:36 pm

Since Goosegirl took the fancy one I will use this one, lol glad you\'re here Meatburner! Great job on your compost pile! You may want to check out the thread "Are you a hottie?" It is about a compost pile getting hot. You can add your name to the claim of fame! Hey I rhymed! The thread is currently under the latest topics on the left.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 10/25/2012, 12:22 am

just getting started with this forum and trying to learn. Will check out that just for fun. BTW, what is that butterfly as your avatar. I'm not into butterflies but that looked way cool.
meatburner
meatburner

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/25/2012, 8:17 am

Triciasgarden wrote:Since Goosegirl took the fancy one I will use this one, lol glad you\'re here Meatburner! Great job on your compost pile! You may want to check out the thread "Are you a hottie?" It is about a compost pile getting hot. You can add your name to the claim of fame! Hey I rhymed! The thread is currently under the latest topics on the left.

funny post lol!

Triciasgarden - blush Sorry! blush I have to take the fancy ones because I can't rhyme!!! (Can't draw either)

Meatburner - I was given a book on lasagna gardening and loved the idea - and it worked well for me for several years other than my inability to keep up the aesthetics in the veggie beds. BUT, I have to say that the SFG boxes are not only easier for me to keep neat and tidy, they are easier for me to prepare, weed, harvest, etc. You are going to LOVE them!

GG

Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/26/2012, 10:50 pm

meatburner wrote:just getting started with this forum and trying to learn. Will check out that just for fun. BTW, what is that butterfly as your avatar. I'm not into butterflies but that looked way cool.

I chose the blue butterfly from the selections of avatars on this forum. A butterfly is something special for my family. One of my daughters had a stillborn baby five days before she was due. The butterfly is a chosen symbol by those who have lost a baby in this way. On what would have been her baby's first birthday, we released monarch butterflies. It seems on special occasions that a monarch shows up, flies around usually my daughter and goes on its merry way. I chose the blue one for my avatar because it was so pretty. Thank you for asking!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/26/2012, 10:52 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
Triciasgarden wrote:Since Goosegirl took the fancy one I will use this one, lol glad you\'re here Meatburner! Great job on your compost pile! You may want to check out the thread "Are you a hottie?" It is about a compost pile getting hot. You can add your name to the claim of fame! Hey I rhymed! The thread is currently under the latest topics on the left.

funny post lol!

Triciasgarden - blush Sorry! blush I have to take the fancy ones because I can't rhyme!!! (Can't draw either)

GG

GG - plus you get first dibs if you get there first!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/26/2012, 11:33 pm

Welcome to the forum meatburner. You'll find SFG a new way of easier life when it comes to gardening. Enjoy.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 10/27/2012, 2:48 am

Thanks quilt, appreciate you. I am doing a lot of lurking and leaning about the SFG method. Thanks again for the welcome.
meatburner
meatburner

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/27/2012, 3:21 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:
meatburner wrote:just getting started with this forum and trying to learn. Will check out that just for fun. BTW, what is that butterfly as your avatar. I'm not into butterflies but that looked way cool.

I chose the blue butterfly from the selections of avatars on this forum. A butterfly is something special for my family. One of my daughters had a stillborn baby five days before she was due. The butterfly is a chosen symbol by those who have lost a baby in this way. On what would have been her baby's first birthday, we released monarch butterflies. It seems on special occasions that a monarch shows up, flies around usually my daughter and goes on its merry way. I chose the blue one for my avatar because it was so pretty. Thank you for asking!

Thanks for the explanation, Tricia. I will treasure your blue butterfly.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 10/27/2012, 4:52 pm

What a wonderful story Tricia. I will always think about that when I see one of your posts. Thank you and   Bless.
meatburner
meatburner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down