Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix compost Toplef10Mel's Mix compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix compost I22gcj10Mel's Mix compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix compost Toplef10Mel's Mix compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix compost I22gcj10Mel's Mix compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's Mix compost

+2
Turan
jplee3
6 posters

Go down

Mel's Mix compost Empty Mel's Mix compost

Post  jplee3 10/17/2012, 9:25 pm

Hey guys,

New to the forums here and had a quick question on compost. I recently received a 4lb box (not very big) of Whitney Farms bulb food, which is a 4-6-4 mix derived from "dried poultry manure, bone meal, sulfate and potash, feather meal, alfafa meal, and kelp meal"

Would it hurt to add this into the compost mixture I'm going to make? I know I need five types, and based on my calculations for a 4'x4'x6" box I'll need .5 of each type of compost. So far I have steer manure but I'm also planning to pickup some free [at least I was told] compost from a local facility which I think might be comprised of the clippings from the city beautification work. I was also considering just buying food scrap compost and chicken manure.

Anyway, would adding in the bulb food mixture be OK or beneficial? Or would it screw things up?

TIA!
jplee3
jplee3

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix compost Empty Re: Mel's Mix compost

Post  Turan 10/17/2012, 10:34 pm

The compost will love it. It is not hot enough to burn anything but will help give the compost a bump up.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  jplee3 10/18/2012, 3:18 am

Turan wrote:The compost will love it. It is not hot enough to burn anything but will help give the compost a bump up.

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to mixing it in. My wife won it at a local gardening workshop and I wasn't sure what we were gonna do with it - good to know it can be put to good use!
jplee3
jplee3

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 10/18/2012, 9:14 am

jplee3 wrote:Hey guys,

New to the forums here and had a quick question on compost. I recently received a 4lb box (not very big) of Whitney Farms bulb food, which is a 4-6-4 mix derived from "dried poultry manure, bone meal, sulfate and potash, feather meal, alfafa meal, and kelp meal"

Would it hurt to add this into the compost mixture I'm going to make? I know I need five types, and based on my calculations for a 4'x4'x6" box I'll need .5 of each type of compost. So far I have steer manure but I'm also planning to pickup some free [at least I was told] compost from a local facility which I think might be comprised of the clippings from the city beautification work. I was also considering just buying food scrap compost and chicken manure.

Anyway, would adding in the bulb food mixture be OK or beneficial? Or would it screw things up?

TIA!

I'm a purist when it comes to making Mel's Mix. Save your bulb food for when you plant bulbs or add it to your compost heap.
If you follow the recipe for Mel's Mix properly, you'll have everything you need! Nice and simple! Very Happy

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7452-mel-s-mix-how-strong-is-your-backbone

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/h22-mel-s-mix-calculator

Mel's Mix compost Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  jplee3 10/19/2012, 6:55 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:
I'm a purist when it comes to making Mel's Mix. Save your bulb food for when you plant bulbs or add it to your compost heap.
If you follow the recipe for Mel's Mix properly, you'll have everything you need! Nice and simple! Very Happy

Thanks for the reply! I'm assuming "bulbs" also include garlic, onions, etc right? If I'm planning to plant those things in my SFG anyway, would it hurt to mix it in? Or maybe just save it for the spots that I actually plant the bulbs in and scoop it in with some compost?

One other question - if I bought a 2cu foot bag of vermiculite, would that not be enough for a 4'x4'x6" box (8cu ft so 1/3 parts = 2.5cu ft of each material). I'd technically be short half a cubic foot. Would that really mess things up? Or is it not a big deal?
jplee3
jplee3

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix compost Empty Mel's Mix

Post  cyclonegardener 10/19/2012, 11:48 pm

Not a big deal.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 10/20/2012, 9:36 am

jplee3 wrote:
RoOsTeR wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I'm assuming "bulbs" also include garlic, onions, etc right? If I'm planning to plant those things in my SFG anyway, would it hurt to mix it in? Or maybe just save it for the spots that I actually plant the bulbs in and scoop it in with some compost?

One other question - if I bought a 2cu foot bag of vermiculite, would that not be enough for a 4'x4'x6" box (8cu ft so 1/3 parts = 2.5cu ft of each material). I'd technically be short half a cubic foot. Would that really mess things up? Or is it not a big deal?

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself thinking
Like I said, I'm a purist when I make my Mel's Mix. The square foot garden method was designed for the beginner in mind and trimmed down to be simple and effective. I've chosen to make my Mel's Mix by the book. Why? Because I know it works! I don't have time for failures. It gives me peace of mind knowing I can blend my 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 vermiculite and be done with it.
Question. What will you be adding to make up for the short on vermiculite? Wink

Mel's Mix compost Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/20/2012, 1:41 pm

Whitney Farms bulb food 4 lbs is a cereal box size. Its directions say 4 cups mixed into the top 2 inches of a 5'X10' area. The ingredients seem compatible with what I remember of a list of MM composts some one had here (it was an addendum to what is in the book and now I can not find it on Mels blog). Added to that this has a whole bunch of good mycorrhizal inoculants. If there is a problem it would be with the not fully composted poultry products being too hot if too concentrated. So if you use 4 cups mixed into the 6 inches of MM you should be fine. However it will also be a good boost for your home compost pile. And a sprinkling around the onions next summer will give them a boost too.

As you read the 'how strong is your back bone thread (highly recommended) you will see talk of how difficult bought bagged commercial composts are. This mixture you have is something that can help such a mixture of composts while you get your home compost pile working.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 10/21/2012, 4:34 pm

jplee3 - The ingredients in your box sound excellent for adding to the compost (as opposed to the MM). There's nothing artificial or unnatural about them, and they should provide a nice variety of nutrients not always found in other components added to compost. There's nothing contrary to Mel's advice in using that for your compost pile - sounds like a great idea to me!
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  jplee3 10/21/2012, 8:16 pm

Thanks guys! I'll see about adding some to the compost pile. I've been trying to rake up all the loose ground cover that's in the yard but it's pretty crazy. A lot of it is tiny leaves, twigs, and old pods, from the Jacaranda tree just outside the yard walls. I've found that I'm mostly raking dirt and rocks up with the small leaves and twigs. Anyway, I ended up adding it dirt clumps (the soil is very clay-like here) and all. Will this be OK adding to the compost pile I've started? Or should I try to separate the dirt clumps out from it? It would be overwhelming trying to do that and I don't know of any other easy way to sift through the ground cover.

So overall, it sounds like this mixture is something that might be better-suited for adding to the compost pile I've got - would it help speed the composting process up or something?
jplee3
jplee3

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/22/2012, 9:55 am

Honestly, the dirt clumps will just add native soil organisms to your compost pile, which is a good thing unless it is contaminated with chemicals or some other kind of waste that you do not want in your compost. Some of those 'locals' can give a boost to your compost process.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  jplee3 10/24/2012, 4:08 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Honestly, the dirt clumps will just add native soil organisms to your compost pile, which is a good thing unless it is contaminated with chemicals or some other kind of waste that you do not want in your compost. Some of those 'locals' can give a boost to your compost process.

GG

I started reading around more on "hole composting" or "pit composting" -seems like it's semi-popular and works but just takes a longer time. Most sites I've read say to cover the compost with dirt too. But what if I want to continuously add to the pile? So far, I've added a few kitchen scraps and greens, but most of the pile is browned yard waste. I've been raking up loose dirt + leaves/shedded material from the jacarandas and dumping it on top of the current pile. It's definitely getting closer to around 3'x3' now.

I know the internal temps are supposed to be around 130 degrees. I haven't really checked as I don't have a thermometer for that - I suppose I could check while I turn the pile though Smile Lately, we've been getting a bit more rain around here as well - will that slow down the process?
jplee3
jplee3

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/24/2012, 5:01 pm

Eventually you will have to stop adding to the pile if you want your compost to finish. If you continually add to it, you will always have uncomposted material in the mix. Once it gets to a size you find manageable (either for leaving to sit or for turning) you will need to start another for new materials and let the old one finish up.

Personally, I have a tumbler made out of barrel which is filled up and allowed to finish, and an upright barrel next to it with the bottom cut off so what I continuously add gets the benefit of the dirt below and worm activity. As the tumbler finishes, I can empty it of black gold and refill it with some of the unfinished contents of the barrel.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  jplee3 10/24/2012, 5:40 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Eventually you will have to stop adding to the pile if you want your compost to finish. If you continually add to it, you will always have uncomposted material in the mix. Once it gets to a size you find manageable (either for leaving to sit or for turning) you will need to start another for new materials and let the old one finish up.

Personally, I have a tumbler made out of barrel which is filled up and allowed to finish, and an upright barrel next to it with the bottom cut off so what I continuously add gets the benefit of the dirt below and worm activity. As the tumbler finishes, I can empty it of black gold and refill it with some of the unfinished contents of the barrel.

GG

That makes sense. I don't have much space in my yard so I'm afraid of getting a tumbler or anything similar. Maybe eventually but the yard is a crazy mess right now and I have a bunch of plants in pots that I transplanted from the ground since I've been clearing out space for my two SFGs. I'll probably get one SFG started soon with the various store-bought composts I picked up. I'm also trying to get a hold of some course vermiculite. Once I've got one box going, I think I can focus on that while I wait for the homegrown compost and then start the second box with that.
jplee3
jplee3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down