Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden Toplef10And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden I22gcj10And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden Toplef10And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden I22gcj10And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden

5 posters

Go down

And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden Empty And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden

Post  mollyhespra 9/25/2012, 11:07 pm

...how much wood ash is too much wood ash in the a) compost pile and b) as top dressing during the winter over MM?

During a "real" winter we can burn about 3-4 cords, so you can imagine that's a lot of wood ash. Additionally, when we have any chicken bones left over from our cooking we burn them in the woodstove, so I suppose you could say we have calcium-rich wood ash.

We usually just dump some ash in the compost pile, over the flower beds, on the grass, etc. and don't worry about it too much, but now that we've set up the SFG boxes in preparation for next Spring, we don't want to over-ash them, if you will. I thought I remember reading somewhere that there's no such thing as over-doing it with wood ash, but I'd feel better getting some feeback specifically.

So, is there such a thing as too much ash? thanks for the input!

Last edited by camprn on 9/27/2012, 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Expanded thread title.)
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden Empty Re: And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden

Post  camprn 9/26/2012, 7:03 am

Oh, there is defiantly a possibility of overdoing wood ash in the garden. It is quite quick to change pH, so my best advice is a little goes a long way and to be absolutely sure there is not a tremendous upset of the acid base balance, the soil/ growing medium should be tested before any application.That being said, I usually add about a soupcan of ashes to a 4x4 garden in the spring before I turn it over. If I start seeing symptoms of poor pH balance I will consider adding some during the growing season, but I always say a prayer when I do it.

My lilacs LOVE the wood ash.

Otherwise, the ash gets dumped in a pile out back.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden Empty Re: And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden

Post  mollyhespra 9/26/2012, 11:55 am

So you only use a soupcan's worth per 4x4? Wow, I was thinking of dumping a whole ash bin or two into each 4x4--can you tell I'm from Florida originally--but in all seriousness, the wild blackberries on the side of the house seem to really like the wood ash, which is where most of it gets dumped by default being closest to the door closest to the woodstove. That being said, we have two HUGE pine trees back there & the soil is probably really acidic to start, so that would explain why the blackberries are diggin' the ash.

Silly me. dangit

I'm glad I asked the question. I guess the thing to do is make my MM and then test the pH and then decide to add or not add the ash. Thanks, CampRN! :tiphat:
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/27/2012, 2:46 pm

interesting, wood ash fertilizer is USA Process Patent #1.
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/wood-ash-can-be-useful-yard-if-used-caution
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/27/2012, 4:51 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:interesting, wood ash fertilizer is USA Process Patent #1.
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/wood-ash-can-be-useful-yard-if-used-caution
Nice write up! Thanks for posting!!! cheers cheers

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

And speaking of woodstoves... wood ash in the garden WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 9/27/2012, 5:42 pm

mollyhespra wrote:

So, is there such a thing as too much ash?

There's only one way to tell - and that is to test for pH. In our southeastern acid soils, a Clemson agent told me that they only time they ever see alkaline soil is when someone uses too much wood ash.

Mel's mix would tend toward acid from the peat, but it might be pushed back toward neutral by some composts. It's hard to generalize - definitive answers can only be made with a pH test.

If your pH gets above 7, you are going to start having troubles growing many of the common veggies.

Wood ash does add mineral fertility, as well as neutralize acidity, so it's usually a good thing on acid soils. But be sure to steer clear of burning any wood that's been painted (lead contamination possible) and/or pressure treated.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 9/28/2012, 12:30 am

I mix hardwood ash directly into squares to receive carrots and beets...not the entire SFG...maybe about 1/2 handful.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down