Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? Toplef10Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? I22gcj10Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? Toplef10Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? I22gcj10Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

5 posters

Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? Empty Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  gregrenee88 9/4/2012, 1:04 pm

Hi Everyone!
How is your Fall garden coming along?
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? Empty Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  Dunkinjean 9/9/2012, 9:40 pm

My fall planting is going ok so far.
I planted carrots, 3 different kinds of lettuce, radishes and beets.
I planted some peas but only a few came up so I planted more in those boxes and then planted some peas in another 2 boxes. I planted bush beans but only 1 plant came up. I planted spinach and again only some came up so it still might be too warm for them. So I will reseed in a week or two if needed.
My tomatoes are still producing and also my pole beans and peppers.
I hope all is well with everyone!
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? Empty Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  gregrenee88 9/10/2012, 1:45 pm

We planted carrots early summer and they seemed to take a looooooooong time. I never even thought of planting them for Fall. When do you plan to harvest them?

Renee
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 9/10/2012, 11:56 pm

Hi Renee:

I did plant them late - Aug 19th since it was so hot here, so I am taking a chance. It takes 75 days to maturity which will be around Nov 1st. Since I had alot of carrot seeds I thought why not try - hopefully I won't be disappointed. Very Happy
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 9/11/2012, 12:09 pm

Best wishes! Would you keep us posted on how they are doing as the season goes on?
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 9/11/2012, 2:21 pm

Absolutely !
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 9/11/2012, 8:33 pm

Awesome! Our lettuce is coming up and I've let some of my first year strawberry runners replant themselves.
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  bakermtb 9/17/2012, 8:04 pm

I took advantage of the fall seed special from Jung and my garden (outside)is planted. I started some seeds for my first time green house this year and see if I can have a nice salad on Christmas. My greenhouse is 6' x 8'. The temps are running around 110 degrees with the vents and door open when the sun is shinning. Wow. Just had some lettuce, tomatoes while checking my garden. Yum!
bakermtb
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/17/2012, 8:51 pm

Dunkinjean wrote:Hi Renee:

I did plant them late - Aug 19th since it was so hot here, so I am taking a chance. It takes 75 days to maturity which will be around Nov 1st. Since I had alot of carrot seeds I thought why not try - hopefully I won't be disappointed. Very Happy
I predict you are going to be digging fresh carrots for Holiday supper. okay

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mid-Atlantic:  September - What's Up? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 9/17/2012, 10:54 pm

I've sown my carrots three times, and have only a handful of plants that germinated. Today I broke down and went and bought some fresh seed. Not the variety I wanted, but maybe it'll germinate. Beets also germinated poorly, so I dumped a good half ounce of seed on the bed. We'll see if I can get a stand, now that it's cooler. I had already set out some cauliflower and cabbage that I started earlier. But the broccoli I started also did not germinate - probably too hot, so I broke down and bought some started plants. They are all in the ground now - and with rain forecast tomorrow, all should get established OK. The tomatoes I planted in buckets are now getting ready to blossom, and I'm starting to see some female blossoms on my Caribbean squash. Fall okra is starting to produce as well. Peppers are still producing well. Have set out a lot of onions. Fall sweet corn is about two feet tall. Hoping for a good fall/winter garden!
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 9/18/2012, 1:10 pm

Pollinator wrote:I've sown my carrots three times, and have only a handful of plants that germinated. Today I broke down and went and bought some fresh seed. Not the variety I wanted, but maybe it'll germinate. Beets also germinated poorly, so I dumped a good half ounce of seed on the bed. We'll see if I can get a stand, now that it's cooler. I had already set out some cauliflower and cabbage that I started earlier. But the broccoli I started also did not germinate - probably too hot, so I broke down and bought some started plants. They are all in the ground now - and with rain forecast tomorrow, all should get established OK. The tomatoes I planted in buckets are now getting ready to blossom, and I'm starting to see some female blossoms on my Caribbean squash. Fall okra is starting to produce as well. Peppers are still producing well. Have set out a lot of onions. Fall sweet corn is about two feet tall. Hoping for a good fall/winter garden!

I thought okra needed "hot" weather"? Ours is still producing like crazy but now that it's cooling down I suspect they will slow. There is a fall okra?? thinking
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 9/19/2012, 10:52 pm

gregrenee88 wrote:
I thought okra needed "hot" weather"? Ours is still producing like crazy but now that it's cooling down I suspect they will slow. There is a fall okra?? thinking

I planted these in late July. We normally get okra right up to frost, which can occur in late October to mid-December, but typically comes around mid to late November.

My thinking is that okra loves heat, but can still bear in cooler weather, if already established.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 9/20/2012, 12:39 pm

gregrenee88 wrote:
Pollinator wrote:I've sown my carrots three times, and have only a handful of plants that germinated. Today I broke down and went and bought some fresh seed. Not the variety I wanted, but maybe it'll germinate. Beets also germinated poorly, so I dumped a good half ounce of seed on the bed. We'll see if I can get a stand, now that it's cooler. I had already set out some cauliflower and cabbage that I started earlier. But the broccoli I started also did not germinate - probably too hot, so I broke down and bought some started plants. They are all in the ground now - and with rain forecast tomorrow, all should get established OK. The tomatoes I planted in buckets are now getting ready to blossom, and I'm starting to see some female blossoms on my Caribbean squash. Fall okra is starting to produce as well. Peppers are still producing well. Have set out a lot of onions. Fall sweet corn is about two feet tall. Hoping for a good fall/winter garden!

That's good to know! Thanks!!
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down