Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Toplef10FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions I22gcj10FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Toplef10FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions I22gcj10FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions

+5
littlejo
CapeCoddess
camprn
cheyannarach
Josh
9 posters

Go down

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Empty FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions

Post  Josh Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:52 pm

Egyptian Onions, Also Known as Tree
Onions, Walking Onions, Perennial Onions, Winter Onions, Top Onions

The Egyptian walking onions can survive freezing cold
winters with temperatures below -24 F.
They are hardy in zone 3-9.

It’s called an Egyptian walking onion because it "walks
like an Egyptian" around your garden, planting and replanting
itself.

The Egyptian onion produces a cluster of bulblets at the top
of the plant instead of seeds, the bulblets are called topsets. Once the topsets are formed the onion plant
will become top heavy and fall over, once the topsets touch the ground they
will root and produce a new onion plant.
The topsets form in the second year.
FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Onions FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Eonions

Egyptian walking onions are one of the earliest plants to emerge in
the spring.

You can harvest the onions at anytime, you can harvest green
onions in early spring, or harvest the onion bulbs growing in the ground in
late summer and early fall. The leaves
can be used like chives.

The onions are generally planted around October. I planted mine just like other onion sets, pushing the topset into Mel's Mix just enough to cover the topset. I planted 16 to a square and will harvest some of them for
spring green onions, I will leave about 4 in each square to continue to grow till late
summer to produce a larger onion bulb in the Mel's Mix. Be sure to leave some of the Egyptian walking onions
to continue to grow to form the topsets in their second year. Once established the Egyptian walking onions will
produce topsets for many years.
http://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/
http://www.threeandathirdhomestead.com/2010/07/harvesting-and-processing-egyptian.html
So here I am in my SFG with my Egyptian Walking Onions, walking like an Egyptian, and you know me, I like to add some music to my topics every now and then.

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Walklikeanegyption
Take a look at the music video, and check out the lady with the pink guitar (I like her jeans!)
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Empty Re: FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions

Post  cheyannarach Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:16 pm

cheers Thanks so much for the great rookie topic Josh, what a fun onion and I am always looking for new ideas! I love the music too!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Empty Re: FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions

Post  camprn Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm

Ha, great topic! And NICE PANTS! Wink Need those to walk like an Egyptian! (I love that song) Thanks Josh!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 pm

These look like great onions! They do everything. One size fits all. (unlike those jeans that apparently don't fit all knees):

Do you have to mail order these onion sets or would a regular nursery have them?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:01 pm

Josh, I think this is a great topic.
I have some growing and I just clip off some of the green onion (if the bulbits don't fall to the ground, they will put up a green onion) I use scissors to snip into whatever I need onion flavor in.

You might be lucky and find someone that has some growing in their yard, but usually don't find them in nurseries. Lots of mail order cats. have them.

CC, I will send you, or anyone who wants them, some E. onions if you will just pay the postage.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 am

rofl The Bangles! Too funny.
Hey thanks for the great rookie topic Josh. I know you've got a lot better things to do than come here and entertain us older folks so I appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to put together something for us.
Those onions are very interesting and I may just have to try and get some going rock on
Thanks again Josh. I always love the little personal touches you put on everything!

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone! And thank you to all of you for putting up with me Very Happy

This is a great forum and a great group of gardeners, I have learned a lot of good stuff from all of you!

My neighbor that lives down the road about a mile, brought me the Egyptian walking onions a couple of weeks ago, until then I didn't know anything about them, so I was excited to get some of them and try them out. He told me to plant them now, so I did and they are up about 3 inches.

I looked and the order catalogs have them kinda high in price, ebay might have a better price, but I too have several I could share if anyone is wanting to try them out.
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:41 pm

[quote="RoOsTeR"] us older folks...

quote]

Who you calling old Razz Just kidding:D
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:48 pm

littlejo wrote:Josh, I think this is a great topic.
I have some growing and I just clip off some of the green onion (if the bulbits don't fall to the ground, they will put up a green onion) I use scissors to snip into whatever I need onion flavor in.

You might be lucky and find someone that has some growing in their yard, but usually don't find them in nurseries. Lots of mail order cats. have them.

CC, I will send you, or anyone who wants them, some E. onions if you will just pay the postage.
Jo

I also have some I can share. Now is the time.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:49 pm

I got my onions! Thanks, Jo! Do I leave them in their bag and wait until Oct to plant them or should they be planted right away?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions Empty I wanna be like Josh when I grow up!

Post  Jerry Nielsen Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Beautifully written. Informative, Entertaining.

Josh, I want to be like you when I grow up. Laughing

I've read many of your posts, and very much appreciate the information, commitment to SFG and the modeling online of being a certified instructor. Mind if I copy a few things? Embarassed

Jerry
Jerry Nielsen
Jerry Nielsen

Male Posts : 13

http://www.easysquarefootgardening.com

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:05 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I got my onions! Thanks, Jo! Do I leave them in their bag and wait until Oct to plant them or should they be planted right away?

CC
Hi CC, I am just now seeing this post! Plant them now! They will at least get their roots down before you'all freeze up! They will be one of the first up in the spring.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:55 pm

I also have some available if someone wants to try them. I use the leaves in place of green onions - great for stir fry and fried rice! The bigger bulbs in the ground can be used like shallots, and even the little bulblets from the top are edible - just harder to work with those tiny things! tongue

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Got my Egyptian walking onions today! Thanks soooo much Turan BIG hug They will be planted tomorrow! How exciting and they smell fantastic!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:03 am

cheyannarach wrote:Got my Egyptian walking onions today! Thanks soooo much TuranThey will be planted tomorrow! How exciting and they smell fantastic!

cheers

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:30 pm

So a few more of us are growing these wonderful onions now.  I'm a bit baffled by what's going on with mine.  They are so big and tall in the tiny box I have them in that I want to plant some outside the box in a place where they can walk to their hearts content.  I have bulblets in the middle and at the tops.  The bulblets in the middles have more leaves coming out of them.  The bulblets at the tops have flowers coming out of them.

Question:  Do I take the top bulblets, divide them and plant them now, or do I wait til they are finished flowering and go to seed first?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:39 pm

These things are almost impossible to kill, so I would say give it a try now with the bulblets.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:02 pm

OK, thanks, GG.  I divide them first, right?

FRIDAY ROOKIE TOPIC: Egyptian Walking Onions June_210

I think I'll also plant the ones in the middle that grew these.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 am

You can divide them or just toss he whole cluster down.  I have so many that I don't divide, I pawn off on friends! Razz  However, if you are still trying to extend your bed, divide up and let them conquer.  neener

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down