Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? Toplef10Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? I22gcj10Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? Toplef10Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? I22gcj10Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done?

+3
Hoggar
CapeCoddess
landarch
7 posters

Go down

Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? Empty Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done?

Post  landarch 8/28/2012, 11:45 am

triple digit temps in early/ mid August realy shut my tomatoes down, but now new growth and blooms abound with cooler weather. When do you decide to give up on determinate tomatoes to make room in the fall garden? The first frost date in my area is 10/11.

Can someone describe what to do to get the most out of indeterminate tomatoes as fall approaches - I know certain stems need to be pruned to direct nutrients where neded to get the last tomatoes done before frost. How many weeks before first frost should one start to prepare for this?
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? Empty Re: Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done?

Post  CapeCoddess 8/28/2012, 1:09 pm

And when do we lop their heads off?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? Empty Re: Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done?

Post  Hoggar 8/28/2012, 1:19 pm

If they have fruit you can start pruning them and top them off to
stunt the growth of the plant. Here is a video that covers it,
it will work for caged toms as well.
I let my Toms grow right up to the first frost then I pull them
and hang the whole plant tomatoes roots and all upside down
in the mud room and let them ripen on the vine. Last year we had
tomatoes into January.
This year I'm starting a batch for the green house, we will see how that goes.

How To Prune Tomatoes
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/28/2012, 1:45 pm

The care and pruning of determinate tomatoes is different than for indeterminate tomatoes.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/28/2012, 1:48 pm

I know that determinates are supposed to have a flush of harvest and then slow down and stop, but my Oregon Spring toms were harvested in the summer and I forgot to pull out the plants a couple years ago. In October, they were producing another crop of tomatoes. If my season here in Maine were a few weeks longer before frost, I could have had a 2nd harvest.
Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? 10-02-13
The Oregon Springs with new green toms and new blossoms on Oct 2nd.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/16/2017, 11:39 am

This my first year growing some determinate tomatoes, so I'm going to bump this thread.
Those of you who grow determinate tomatoes: I know it likely varies from year to year with different weather, and different varieties and all, but when is their first flush typically complete? Number weeks after transplanting out would be easiest for me to translate, but any data you have would help. I'm growing New Yorker, Bellestar, and "42 days".
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1433

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/16/2017, 2:48 pm

I have Better Bush and Red Pride and both state that they continue to give a productive harvest for 8 weeks.[url=https://servimg.com/view/15016226/2360]Determinate Tomatoes - when are they done? 06-16-10[/url
This year all my tomatoes are in containers due to moving from the country. Above I have  Patio, 2 Better Bush and 1 Red Pride in pots.  The Patio has blossoms today.
That's my constant companion, my nearly 12-yr old Pembroke Corgi, Penny.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/16/2017, 5:52 pm

Thanks! So perhaps days to maturity from transplanting plus 56 more days is what I should use. That's about 17 weeks for New Yorker and Bellestar and puts me ... at my last frost date. That would imply that in my area, determinate tomatoes would yield all season, same as indeterminate. That's counter-intuitive. I was growing some determinates hoping to squeeze a few more fall squares in, albeit probably something frost tolerant, but it doesn't look like that will work here without starting much sooner than I managed this year.

I'm glad you can still garden in containers, and that you have such a nice plant-inspecting companion!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/16/2017, 6:50 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Thanks! So perhaps days to maturity from transplanting plus 56 more days is what I should use. That's about 17 weeks for New Yorker and Bellestar and puts me ... at my last frost date. That would imply that in my area, determinate tomatoes would yield all season, same as indeterminate. That's counter-intuitive. I was growing some determinates hoping to squeeze a few more fall squares in, albeit probably something frost tolerant, but it doesn't look like that will work here without starting much sooner than I managed this year.

I'm glad you can still garden in containers, and that you have such a nice plant-inspecting companion!
*first frost date, not last! I'm apparently still stuck on thinking about spring plantings.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/16/2017, 10:38 pm

I've been growing Celebrities and Bush Early Girls. I usually get the majority of my yields from these plants in mid-late July (here, they go out the last week of April or first week of May). Then there are stragglers that come in during the next few weeks.

When the weather starts to cool again, they start putting out more new foliage and setting a bunch more fruit. I just let them continue, until we reach a point in the season where any fruit that sets will have little chance of reaching maturity before the first frost. After that, I start pinching off any new blossoms, to help encourage the existing fruit to finish up before it gets too cold.

Other than that, I don't much pruning, and no suckering or topping of determinate plants during the season. I trim off a few branches to keep the plant out of the dirt, allow more air circulation, or remove dead or diseased portions.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/16/2017, 11:07 pm

CitizenKate wrote:I've been growing Celebrities and Bush Early Girls.  I usually get the majority of my yields from these plants in mid-late July (here, they go out the last week of April or first week of May).  Then there are stragglers that come in during the next few weeks.

When the weather starts to cool again, they start putting out more new foliage and setting a bunch more fruit.  I just let them continue, until we reach a point in the season where any fruit that sets will have little chance of reaching maturity before the first frost.  After that, I start pinching off any new blossoms, to help encourage the existing fruit to finish up before it gets too cold.

Other than that, I don't much pruning, and no suckering or topping of determinate plants during the season.  I trim off a few branches to keep the plant out of the dirt, allow more air circulation, or remove dead or diseased portions.
Thanks, Kate! I have to wait until mid-May to transplant here, and late May is better/safer, unless I use WallOWaters. I have them, but things just didn't work as planned this year, so I've gotten my plants in late and lanky. A lot of locals seem to wait until Memorial Day to transplant their tomatoes.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down